Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 98.1 the Sports Animal

Default 98.1 the Sports Animal

I’m currently listening to the dominance hour with Traber, Al, and Tony. Right now, Jim is really getting after Tony for his covid precautions. Does anybody else have a problem with this? I feel like this isn’t doing anything to help our current situation. Tony has a right to prepare how he wants to and the fact he is catching flack for it is pretty disgusting. I think they’re having fun with it to some degree, but Jim is dang near harassing him for it. Live and let live and stop alienating people for trying to be safe in their own way right now.

Default Re: 98.1 the Sports Animal

What specifically was he calling out? Jim is a massive loudmouth.

Not to mention possibly encouraging putting people in danger?

^Definitely. I remember before everything got crazy last year but people were starting to worry, he was blabbering on about how he’s not going to stop going to restaurants or change his life in any way. Obviously that was when we didn’t know much about it, but some areas were starting to shut down and he couldn’t fathom why people would take precautions.

His brother is an MD. I wonder what his opinion is. Traber is not even a graduate.

Quote Originally Posted by runOKC View Post
    He was grilling tony on his precautions. Tony is pretty safe when it comes to covid. He wears a mask most places. He’s very diligent about wiping down equipment with Lysol. Doesn’t go out to eat. Etc. Jim was grilling him today. Paraphrase below.

Jim - I found a perfect mask for you tony. I’ll send you a link...sends like of full hazmat suit thing...That should be perfect for you tony.

Tony - Laughs it off...Not bad Jim. I would wear that.
    *somebody enters Tony’s room to fix equipment*

Jim - You hear that al? I swear I just hear tony pull his make further up over his nose and tighten it down...laughs.

Tony - Justifies his masks wearing...

Jim - Tony, how many times have you been out of the house since this started?

Tony - maybe less than 10.

Jim - What?! I would go crazy man. I can’t live like that! Tony, have you been in a restaurant?

Tony - I have been in a restaurant maybe once since this started.

Jim - What???!!! That’s insane!! I couldn’t live my life like that. Why don’t you get out.

Al - I eat out like 6 days a week...both laugh at tony.

Jim - How many people have been in your house?

Tony - Maybe 3.

Jim - Holy Moses. That’s unreal.

They were relentless and wouldn’t let up. They were essentially mocking him and tony handled it well. However, this is a terrible display by a station like this. You shouldn’t be mocking people. Everyone is handling this differently and has different risks.

Quote Originally Posted by runOKC View Post
    I see a lot of people calling Jim a loudmouth, but what do they actually mean by that? I've never understood that. Are people meaning that he is just generally loud? Which is true. Or that he is an asshole/dickhead/jerk? Because that is true as well.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    I see a lot of people calling Jim a loudmouth, but what do they actually mean by that? I've never understood that. Are people meaning that he is just generally loud? Which is true. Or that he is an asshole/dickhead/jerk? Because that is true as well.
    lol. You’re on one tonight.

9. Default Re: 98.1 the Sports Animal

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    I’m currently listening to the dominance hour with Traber, Al, and Tony. Right now, Jim is really getting after Tony for his covid precautions. Does anybody else have a problem with this? I feel like this isn’t doing anything to help our current situation. Tony has a right to prepare how he wants to and the fact he is catching flack for it is pretty disgusting. I think they’re having fun with it to some degree, but Jim is dang near harassing him for it. Live and let live and stop alienating people for trying to be safe in their own way right now.
    I heard a bit of it before changing channels. He does this to Tony a lot. I turn him off because that's better than a fist sized hole in my dash where the radio was. Traber obviously does not take the virus seriously. And for me today was a VERY bad day to listen to someone making fun of trying to be safe.

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    I guess what I mean by loudmouth is A) he seems to say what he wants without putting a lot of thought into it and B) he says it with such CONVICTION. I know that it’s his job to talk, but the guy just seems to say a lot of things without any real introspection or analysis.

I may be in the minority and this may seem harsh, but WWLS needs to let him go immediately. There is no excuse, no reason for this behavior. If someone doesn’t know the severity of the situation and thinks being some big bad bully is funny, well he simply doesn’t get it and likely never will.

I tested positive not too long ago. Both my employers have been wonderful. Even so, part of me feels bad being gone for days even though I and they know what is best. Can’t imagine them (and/or my fellow coworkers) making fun and ridiculing me over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Outhunder View Post
    I may be in the minority and this may seem harsh, but WWLS needs to let him go immediately. There is no excuse, no reason for this behavior. If someone doesn’t know the severity of the situation and thinks being some big bad bully is funny, well he simply doesn’t get it and likely never will.

I tested positive not too long ago. Both my employers have been wonderful. Even so, part of me feels bad being gone for days even though I and they know what is best. Can’t imagine them (and/or my fellow coworkers) making fun and ridiculing me over it.
    the segment is lighthearted and not serious

13. Default Re: 98.1 the Sports Animal

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Sometimes yes. Sometimes no.
    In any other workplace I think it would qualify for workplace harrasment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Sometimes yes. Sometimes no.
    In any other workplace I think it would qualify for workplace harrasment.
    this wasn't some back room talk . ... it was an on air segment that in no way was "bullying or harassment"

15. Default Re: 98.1 the Sports Animal

this wasn't some back room talk . ... it was an on air segment that in no way was "bullying or harassment"
    You set a very low bar I think.

Genuinely confused as to how you came to this conclusion.

I think it was intended to be lighthearted, but it probably went too long. You know those people that make a joke and get a good laugh, but they keep going and going until everybody is silent and uncomfortable? That’s how it felt to me. Given the fact that people are dying daily from this virus AND people are so polarized about it, this probably isn’t the best way to handle the situation.

Jim definitely is a huge ass, although I don't have a problem with him as many others do. He is definitely joking in these situations but it happens almost every day to some extent. Tony always just shrugs it off or plays along but I'm sure he's had his fill over the last 10 months.

I didn't hear it, but if it was "lighthearted and not serious", that's probably what is confusing / concerning to people.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    I didn't hear it, but if it was "lighthearted and not serious", that's probably what is confusing / concerning to people.
    If it was truly light hearted and not serious there wouldn't be any confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I listen to the Animal regularly and Jim routinely gives Tony a hard time for his caution. It isn't serious. I also think they're prepping for a new sponsor coming in that provides office cleaning/sterilization services. Traber has been "hard timing" him about it for a while now.

Always keep in mind that not *nearly* as much of what goes on on talk radio is as spontaneous as it may seem.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I'm just saying that if I heard someone being light hearted and not serious about someone taking action, and making sacrifices, to help prevent the speared of a disease which is now the third leading cause of death by disease in the country, I'd be confused by that.

Why would Traber lightheartedly mock someone who was sacrificing in order to save lives lives? He should Thank that person and use his position as a media voice to hold them in high regard, right?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Always keep in mind that not *nearly* as much of what goes on on talk radio is as spontaneous as it may seem.
    Of course not.

But you are suggesting that 98.1 is concertedly profiting off of people's real suffering and others fear.

This Tony guy should be appreciated it for what he's done. Instead. you're saying that the station scripted a ridicule of him to sell ads to a company providing sanitation theatre?

And your position is that's cool.

That's why we are where we are.

24. Default Re: 98.1 the Sports Animal

I'm just saying that if I heard someone being light hearted and not serious about someone taking action, and making sacrifices, to help prevent the speared of a disease which is now the third leading cause of death by disease in the country, I'd be confused by that.

Why would Traber lightheartedly mock someone who was sacrificing in order to save lives lives? He should Thank that person and use his position as a media voice to hold them in high regard, right?
    Traber has made it clear since virus day one that "living life as usual" is more important than taking precautions.

25. Default Re: 98.1 the Sports Animal

Of course not.

But you are suggesting that 98.1 is concertedly profiting off of people's real suffering and others fear.

This Tony guy should be appreciated it for what he's done. Instead. you're saying that the station scripted a ridicule of him to sell ads to a company providing sanitation theatre?

And your position is that's cool.

That's why we are where we are.
    AMEN BROTHER! Also keep in mind this is on a station airing a commercial that says "We're ready to rip off these face diapers". The Animal seems to have taken the tack that male machismo is more important than public heath and welfare.

Thread Information