Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 98.1 the Sports Animal

Default Re: 98.1 the Sports Animal

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Of course not.

But you are suggesting that 98.1 is concertedly profiting off of people's real suffering and others fear.

This Tony guy should be appreciated it for what he's done. Instead. you're saying that the station scripted a ridicule of him to sell ads to a company providing sanitation theatre?

And your position is that's cool.

That's why we are where we are.
    You take sports radio way too seriously.

You lost me at Jim Traber.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerman View Post
    You lost me at Jim Traber.
    This.

Also, I'm surprised people listen to "sports" radio.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    You take sports radio way too seriously.
    But, they weren't talking about sports. They were talking about a deadly disease, specifically someone's efforts to prevent the spread of that disease in their community. So, if you're accusing me of thinking that is a serious topic and an odd one to use to serve up some light hearted banter, then cool. Because of course it is, and of course I think it's serious. I mean, if Traber was "light heartedly" mocking him, for, say, wearing a condom, scripted or not, I would think that's stupid, too. Because, of course it would be.

And, yes, I understand Jim Traber is a meat head. That's what he's there for. But usually he is a meat head about sports and I do not, as you say, take that seriously at all.

I was listening again yesterday, and I felt like they were borderline unethical yet again. This may be ticky-tacky, btw. I guess Al has been having a really difficult time getting his second shot scheduled, and he has been getting really frustrated as he's leaving the country for this trip to columbia. Well, Jim was getting frustrated and said something like, "there's got to be somebody we could call and put in a word for Al and just get him scheduled like right now. I mean, there's got to be a way to get him on a list." So then they ask for people to start calling in with advice/tips on where to go for Al. A bit later, Jim said something to the effect of "we're going to get you that shot Al. we're going to reach out here and get it for you no matter what." They were reaching out all over the state.

I get it, Jim, and the station, are trying to help Al out, but what makes Al any more special than any other senior living in rural oklahoma who is also trying to get their shots? They're using their platform to get Al preferential treatment and that's just wrong, imo. Especially because Al did this to himself by scheduling that stupid trip before being fully vaccinated. Makes me mad and is borderline unethical, imo. I think I'm about done listening to this station...

6. Default Re: 98.1 the Sports Animal

^
    That was just another thing they made over dramatic which is their thing. A few times Al has mentioned that all he really has to do is get a negative test result within 48 hours of boarding the plane in order to get in Columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    ^
    That was just another thing they made over dramatic which is their thing. A few times Al has mentioned that all he really has to do is get a negative test result within 48 hours of boarding the plane in order to get in Columbia.
    It's probably a peace-of-mind things for Al, but if he wants that peace of mind, why schedule the trip until you're vaccinated? Honestly just wish the guy would stay home. Sounds like he caught covid when it first went around. Hate to see him catch it again or get stuck over there in columbia. Also, who travels to columbia anyway?

8. Default Re: 98.1 the Sports Animal

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Also, who travels to columbia anyway?
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...f38_story.html

9. Default Re: 98.1 the Sports Animal

It's probably a peace-of-mind things for Al, but if he wants that peace of mind, why schedule the trip until you're vaccinated? Honestly just wish the guy would stay home. Sounds like he caught covid when it first went around. Hate to see him catch it again or get stuck over there in columbia. Also, who travels to columbia anyway?
    I'm pretty sure he leaves next week. The second shot wouldn't even provide full immunity until after he returns. I agree he should just stay home for awhile.

10. Default Re: 98.1 the Sports Animal

Some interesting stuff in that article. Al just went there a few weeks ago. He said so much stuff is closed that his itinerary consisted pretty much of hanging out at one or two bar/restaurants that were open. I really don't know why he's in such a hurry to go back. I sometimes think he wants his trips to create outlandish radio material more than he's interested in the trip itself.

We all know why Al travels to these places and it’s not for the food or booze.

*shudders.....gross...

12. Default Re: 98.1 the Sports Animal

*shudders.....gross...
    True

*shudders.....gross...
    Um, what do we "all know?" I've seen all sorts of bizarre comments on message boards about Al but I have never seen anything remotely resembling proof of anything. This kind of innuendo is gross.

14. Default Re: 98.1 the Sports Animal

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Um, what do we "all know?" I've seen all sorts of bizarre comments on message boards about Al but I have never seen anything remotely resembling proof of anything. This kind of innuendo is gross.
    Al is the one guilty of innuendo. Almost every trip he talks about young girls that he hit on.

Anybody catch the new commercials running on the station? It’s that testosterone place I think. I’m paraphrasing:

“We’re aware our commercials have bothered some people. But. Our commercials and services are for MEN. Oklahoma MEN. Not wimpy soy-boys.”

Between this nonsense and traber, I’m officially done with this station. If it were about any other thing than a deadly pandemic, I may not care as much, but this is serious for many people.

Macho-ism comes off really poorly.

It shows you the mindset of their average listener, otherwise there would be a backlash and they would stop selling them ads.

18. Default Re: 98.1 the Sports Animal

I've hated listening to the disgusting commercials and personalities that think they're funny but not. But today I took The Animal off my presets. Traber has said lots of inaccurate things about the virus and it's very obvious he doesn't take it seriously. But Tony was having after effects from getting the first shot today and Traber went off on a tangent of how people are dying after getting the second shot. I'm officially done with The Animal.

19. Default Re: 98.1 the Sports Animal

Today was my first day at work without The Animal on the radio in my office. I listened to K-Love part of the day and KMGL the rest of the time. I came home relaxed and in a good mood because I didn't get pissed off at the radio once. I should have done this a long time ago.

Then you come on this forum how is that relaxing.? Oh and by the way https://kutv.com/news/local/utah-wom...utopsy-ordered But like the story says it's very very rare and hard to prove.

21. Default Re: 98.1 the Sports Animal

I usually find this forum very relaxing. Not everyone agrees all the time but that's the whole point of discussing viewpoints on subjects.

Is it safe to assume they do typical sports radio? Dime a dozen those people.

23. Default Re: 98.1 the Sports Animal

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Is it safe to assume they do typical sports radio? Dime a dozen those people.
    Anymore from 10 to 2 it's sports talk radio. Outside of that it's more "attempt at comedy" radio and they fail miserably.

HAHA - Man some of you guys need to RELAX a little bit! Kind of surprised to see such sensitive older guys on here! You're really getting that upset about a commercial? Lol!

And you do realize that half of what Jim says is an act, right?? His whole persona is part of the "Show" and it draws listeners and that's why his show is one of the top Sports Talk Shows in the NATION! You have to put him in a category with guys like Stephen A. Smith, Collin Cowherd..

As for some of the accusations earlier about Al, that's just ridiculous to be throwing that kind of stuff out there without major concrete evidence.

HangryHippo Guest

In the nation? lulz

Thread Information