Widgets Magazine

Thread: AMC Store

Default AMC Store

We've lived in OKC/MWC since 1967. I've been reorganizing a lot of Christmas decorations and have found several with AMC stickers on them. (Prices like 77 cents.) I know we also shopped at GEX and Gibsons but I can't place AMC. Any of you other "oldies" remember it? Thanks!

Default Re: AMC Store

NW 10th and Penn. It was like an early Wal-mart but individuals owned the individual business departments.

Add: American Mutual Company. Closed around 1975 ish? Help on the date?

3. Default Re: AMC Store

TG&Y and Otasco, but I don't identify as an oldie.

It was American Mutual Company. I went there many times shopping with my Mom as a smaller kid.

before my time... but as a kid i spent many saturdays with my dad browsing through amc flea market at that same location.

6. Default Re: AMC Store

We went to AMC all the time. I always thought it was odd how all the depts but grocery were on one level but you went through a garage door size opening and down a ramp to get to the groceries.

7. Default Re: AMC Store

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    NW 10th and Penn. It was like an early Wal-mart but individuals owned the individual business departments.

Add: American Mutual Company. Closed around 1975 ish? Help on the date?
    My memory from back then isn't what it used to be. But I think wife #1 and I shopped there for at least a little while after we were married. I remember buying cases of Brown Derby beer because we were barely making ends meet. Beer was against the far west wall. We got married in Feb of '78.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    We went to AMC all the time. I always thought it was odd how all the depts but grocery were on one level but you went through a garage door size opening and down a ramp to get to the groceries.
    OMG, that's right!

Thanks for reactivating that brain neuron! That makes six good ones now.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    OMG, that's right!

Thanks for reactivating that brain neuron! That makes six good ones now.
    Here what I recall from stories one of the brothers told me over 25 years ago: it was American Mutual Club. You had to be a club member, and show a membership card to enter at the entrance in the NW corner of the building. It started at a different location by the three Homsey brothers-Bennie, Joe and Paul. The NW 10th and Pennsylvania location was built around 1959, and was nicknamed “tittie city” because of the zillion pyramid peaks in the roof.

I recall buying a Janet Jackson “control” cassette there to replace one a customer said was missing from her car. That would have to be 1986 or later. I know they closed up in the late 1980s and leased out the building to the AMC Flea Market operators in the early 1990s.

10. Default Re: AMC Store

I didn't recall it being that recently closed.

Cindycat also mentioned Gibson's. We used to go there for H:O scale trains and slot cars.

This my first post here, but I felt I had to chime in since Benny Homsey (One of the 5 brothers who founded the store) was my grandfather. AMC closed in 1987-1988 when I was about 12. We had very fond memories of the place and got into tons of trouble with our cousins. We still have several nostalgic AMC items around. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Thehighest View Post
    This my first post here, but I felt I had to chime in since Benny Homsey (One of the 5 brothers who founded the store) was my grandfather. AMC closed in 1987-1988 when I was about 12. We had very fond memories of the place and got into tons of trouble with our cousins. We still have several nostalgic AMC items around. Cheers
    That's very cool.

Would love to see photos of whatever you may have.

I remember the one time at AMC that I attempted to peruse the shelves of the toy department by myself and I was immediately confronted by a sales person and was told that I could not be in the toy department without my one of my parents present. I just remember thinking how can they sell toys if they were kicking kids out of the toy department.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thehighest View Post
    Your Jid was a good guy.

Thread Information