Default Re: 2021 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Thanks,Catch. Here's the XNA

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20211218-121109.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	9.1 KB 
ID:	17250

That is a SkyWest maintenance reposition. Likely having some work done in OKC, it is unrelated to the CommutAir flight to Little Rock.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Add ORD, AUS and DCA to that list. Hopefully PHL resumes but I doubt it with DCA and LGA. Really hope AA adds TUL-LGA.

Agree on United, wish they would restart SFO and EWR.
    I would think PHL comes back whenever it is that the world is more open again. It's by far AA's best hub for TATL connections. I know Europe hasn't been closed off necessarily but still, travel still isn't back to normal yet. If AA doesn't bring PHL back, then I would love an OKC-JFK on either B6 or AA to help with international connections. But that seems pretty unlikely I suppose, especially with OKC-LGA already in the mix.

And, I also wish UA would expand service here. Especially with the United NEXT program and the renovated domestic narrowbody fleet which sure will beat the crap out of the AA Oasis nonsense. It is interesting though that catch commented that the OKC market just doesn't respond to UA the way it does to AA. There must be many more AAdvantage members here than United MP.

HangryHippo Guest

A lot of the loyalty comes from the proximity to DFW, no?

5. Default Re: 2021 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    A lot of the loyalty comes from the proximity to DFW, no?
    Honestly yes. It's nice to know if you get caught at your connecting airport of DFW you can always drive home. Also, when using my AA miles and OKC is just too expensive, flying from DFW is a realistic option. That's not the case with UA or DL. For instance, before Covid, in the couple years before we took my parents to London on miles in business but my mom hates to fly so we flew non-stop from DFW to LHR so that she only had one flight each way. And when my wife and I went to Italy at the last minute but did not want 2 stops (the only option in business) we drove to DFW and flew DFW-LHR-FCO and same on the return (except from LIN). AA gives you that flexibility because of the proximity of DFW. Having said that, the VAST majority of the time we fly from OKC, even at an increased cost. It's worth the premium for convenience except in the most extreme circumstance.

I see a Jetblue flight made a visit to OKC from Boston tonight. Anyone know what the reason was?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...306Z/KBOS/KOKC

Probably a gas-and-go. 45 minute ground time in OKC. About 125 knot headwinds tonight in the jet stream. Doesn’t look like a ton of planes had trouble, but some of the older Airbus narrowbodies have trouble with US trans cons in the winter time when the jet stream really starts cranking across North America.

It is certainly possible it was not that, but a 45 minute ground time rules out any mechanical issue and most law-enforcement issues. The other possibility would be a medical. It can be difficult to get emergency landings for medicals in a station you don’t serve turned around in 45 minutes. Usually they are last minute and can be hard for the airline to get ahold of a courtesy crew and get fueling paperwork lined up.

“Courtesy handling” usually means one airline handling a different carrier out of courtesy and usually for no charge to accommodate emergencies etc. a 45 minute wheels down to wheels up time suggests to me that this was a planned stop with plenty of time to notify a handling carrier and getting fuel at such a late hour. Despite being fierce competitors, on the front line airlines will often go to great lengths to assist another carrier, especially in an emergency situation. For years before Southwest served O’Hare, Southwest had an agreement with United that we would provide a ramp crew, basic customer service, and gate space should a Southwest airplane end up landing in ORD because MDW was closed. This extended to the reverse and they would do the same for a United plane that ended up in Midway. About once or twice a year this gentleman’s agreement would be used by either carrier and no bills were ever sent.

8. Default Re: 2021 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Probably a gas-and-go. 45 minute ground time in OKC. About 125 knot headwinds tonight in the jet stream. Doesn’t look like a ton of planes had trouble, but some of the older Airbus narrowbodies have trouble with US trans cons in the winter time when the jet stream really starts cranking across North America.

It is certainly possible it was not that, but a 45 minute ground time rules out any mechanical issue and most law-enforcement issues. The other possibility would be a medical. It can be difficult to get emergency landings for medicals in a station you don’t serve turned around in 45 minutes. Usually they are last minute and can be hard for the airline to get ahold of a courtesy crew and get fueling paperwork lined up.

“Courtesy handling” usually means one airline handling a different carrier out of courtesy and usually for no charge to accommodate emergencies etc. a 45 minute wheels down to wheels up time suggests to me that this was a planned stop with plenty of time to notify a handling carrier and getting fuel at such a late hour. Despite being fierce competitors, on the front line airlines will often go to great lengths to assist another carrier, especially in an emergency situation. For years before Southwest served O’Hare, Southwest had an agreement with United that we would provide a ramp crew, basic customer service, and gate space should a Southwest airplane end up landing in ORD because MDW was closed. This extended to the reverse and they would do the same for a United plane that ended up in Midway. About once or twice a year this gentleman’s agreement would be used by either carrier and no bills were ever sent.
    Catch never fails to provide awesome insight.

Heard them on the tower freq…sounded like a tech stop for gas.

Quote Originally Posted by damonsmuz View Post
    I see a Jetblue flight made a visit to OKC from Boston tonight. Anyone know what the reason was?

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...306Z/KBOS/KOKC

Talk about fighting the jet stream. 7 hour 51 min flight.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    Talk about fighting the jet stream. 7 hour 51 min flight.
    Flightaware is very bad for collecting data from various sources and compiling them in inaccurate ways. It was 7hr 51min including the stop in OKC. This is evident because of the arrival gate listed as D32. It took the arrival time in Las Vegas and stamped it as the arrival time into OKC without verifying the stop. Still a long time, but not as bad when factoring in a 45 min fuel stop and the associated slowing down due to that.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Flightaware is very bad for collecting data from various sources and compiling them in inaccurate ways. It was 7hr 51min including the stop in OKC. This is evident because of the arrival gate listed as D32. It took the arrival time in Las Vegas and stamped it as the arrival time into OKC without verifying the stop. Still a long time, but not as bad when factoring in a 45 min fuel stop and the associated slowing down due to that.
    ah gotcha. but still. that's like a transatlantic flight. doesn't look like it got much over 400mph

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    ah gotcha. but still. that's like a transatlantic flight. doesn't look like it got much over 400mph
    Yep. Westbound is miserable this time of year in the northern hemisphere.

14. Default Re: 2021 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

I just recently got a Citi American Airlines credit card and I had some questions regarding the AAdvatage Program. Particularly with Alaska Airlines.

Can I book Alaska Airlines flights through AA? Or do I do it thru Alaska Airlines website with my AA credit card and add my AAdvantage number to the reservation. Apologies if I didn't ask it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    I just recently got a Citi American Airlines credit card and I had some questions regarding the AAdvatage Program. Particularly with Alaska Airlines.

Can I book Alaska Airlines flights through AA? Or do I do it thru Alaska Airlines website with my AA credit card and add my AAdvantage number to the reservation. Apologies if I didn't ask it right.
    You can do either as long as the flights are designated as code share operations.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post

Might want to read up on AA's new loyalty program as well. https://exploreamerican.com/newaadvantage/

Will Rogers World Airport to tear down its only terminal grounds hotel:

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...el/6441874001/

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post

That hotel is very trashy, but I’m surprised they won’t be building a replacement.

A Braums right there would kill it. . JS

Blog Entries

OnCue, I'm calling it. First impression for first-time OKC visitors, heck yeah they're grabbing that.

A convenience store would be great here.

Blog Entries

with a skybridge to the terminal I'm sure :-)

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post

It is now 2022.

https://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=46715

2021 finished off nicely. Looks like SW has wrestled the lead back from AA. December probably down a touch due to Corona Virus related cancelled flight

https://flyokc.com/sites/default/fil...nt%20Email.pdf

25. Default Re: 2021 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

about 1m pax off from 2019's 4.4m. Not bad considering.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information