Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

1. Default Re: 2021 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Why -1?

Default Re: 2021 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Hello,

I am not sure how Breeze is doing and wish the best but here are some updates :

The following routes will see frequency reductions, dropping from four weekly flights to two:

San Antonio, Texas (SAT)-Oklahoma City (OKC)
    San Antonio-Tulsa, Oklahoma (TUL)

It seems SAT is always a deception. I flew it on Frontier and it was half full. Plus the competition is heating up at the neighbor airport of Austin.

They were supposed to receive delivery of several new (used) aircraft; however there was an issue with them that they are resolving with the FAA. Not uncommon, especially when importing used aircraft into the United States from another country. The maintenance paper trail has to be audited completely and this often gets complex dealing with other languages and customs. Maintenance records have to be brought up to US-FAA standards and anything that cannot be proven maintenance-wise has to be completed again. For example, an unreadable maintenance entry on the replacement of a flap actuator would require replacing the actuator, or removing it and inspecting, then re-installation with the correct documentation. If removing and installing the same exact part, then they have to go back into that part's paper trail and verify it is a genuine part and not a fake part or one that was not overhauled at a certified facility. Individual airplanes have libraries full of documents that trace just about everything. It takes quite a bit of work to bring used aircraft onto a carrier's operating certificate.

They trimmed their entire network schedule to account for fewer available airplanes than planned, not just OKC/TUL. This is a wise decision to not spread themselves too thin.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Why -1?
    I am a pro growth native Oklahoman often distressed by what I perceive is a desire by some to hold on to the status Quo. Your comment just struck me as in that vein of small not progressive thought. I could be wrong ,if so, apologize but I simply hate what I think is Oklahomas general reluctance to go big on anything.

I am a pro growth native Oklahoman often distressed by what I perceive is a desire by some to hold on to the status Quo. Your comment just struck me as in that vein of small not progressive thought. I could be wrong ,if so, apologize but I simply hate what I think is Oklahomas general reluctance to go big on anything.
    No

6. Default Re: 2021 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

I am pro-growth as needed, but some of us like living in a smaller city that isn't a pain in the a$$ to live in. I like to tell people that we have a lot of big city amenities without a lot of the big city pains. I like it that way. I am not envious of cities like Nashville that are growing and becoming more of a pain to navigate, becoming more expensive, etc. Being a mid-sized city that's easy to live in is very appealing to me. I lived in Orlando when it exploded in growth in the early 2000s and it sucked to watch it change. Traffic was worse, people became ruder, and everything got more expensive. I like the pace at which we are growing right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    I am pro-growth as needed, but some of us like living in a smaller city that isn't a pain in the a$$ to live in. I like to tell people that we have a lot of big city amenities without a lot of the big city pains. I like it that way. I am not envious of cities like Nashville that are growing and becoming more of a pain to navigate, becoming more expensive, etc. Being a mid-sized city that's easy to live in is very appealing to me. I lived in Orlando when it exploded in growth in the early 2000s and it sucked to watch it change. Traffic was worse, people became ruder, and everything got more expensive. I like the pace at which we are growing right now.
    So my perception was correct. I take the opposite stance, where hyper growth in not necessarily fraught with ALL of the negatives you mention. I think city size and hyper growth are not necessarily conduits poor QoL. i now live in Raleigh, NC which has experienced double digit growth for at least 2-3 decades and was recently ranked the 2d most desirable city in the Nation. Growth and Q of L can coexist if leaders plan for the infrastructure to support the growth. You can find rude people anywhere and OKC is no where near capacity to face constant traffic headaches, a whole lotta excess concrete.

With Raleigh recently named among the top relocation destinations in the US, we’ve been feeling a little curious about our city’s future. How fast is Raleigh actually growing, and how many people are moving to our city each day? Answer: 64.

According to the US Census Bureau, the Raleigh metro’s population increased from ~1.2 million in 2015 to ~1.5 million today — with an average annual increase of roughly 2% or 29,000 people. To put that into perspective, imagine filling PNC Arena one-and-a-half times.

Now, the Raleigh metropolitan area is a pretty wide swath of land to consider, so let’s break it down a little more.

Raleigh’s growth over time | via US Census
    While the Triangle grew by hundreds of thousands over the last five years, the City of Raleigh itself ranks No. 2 among the fastest growing cities in the nation — with 23% growth over the past decade, and a population increase of 77,655 (from 423,520 to approximately 510,175) since 2015. Did you know? None of our local municipalities have seen a population decrease in 10+ years.

�� Cary saw a population increase of 2,240 people (1.32%) over the past year
    �� Chapel Hill grew by 684 people (1.07%) last year
    �� Durham’s population grew by 4,436 people (1.59%) since 2019
    �� Garner saw a population increase of 942 people (3%) over the past year
    �� Morrisville grew by 1,412 people (4.89%) last year
    �� Wake Forest’s population increased by 1,606 people (3.52%) since 2019

What accounts for the boom? For one thing, the availability of developable land. Opportunity zones and a sprawling suburban and exurban landscape provide varied options for builders. Other contributing factors include the availability of jobs, economic stability, (relatively) affordable housing options + cultural and recreational amenities.

So, what do these growth rates mean for Raleigh’s future? Population forecasts predict that Raleigh’s residents will grow to ~600,000 by 2030.

The recent 2020 census will provide a more definitive look at how our city has grown over the last 10 years + how on-track we are with growth projections for years to come.

9. Default Re: 2021 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

So my perception was correct. I take the opposite stance, where hyper growth in not necessarily fraught with ALL of the negatives you mention. I think city size and hyper growth are not necessarily conduits poor QoL. i now live in Raleigh, NC which has experienced double digit growth for at least 2-3 decades and was recently ranked the 2d most desirable city in the Nation. Growth and Q of L can coexist if leaders plan for the infrastructure to support the growth. You can find rude people anywhere and OKC is no where near capacity to face constant traffic headaches, a whole lotta excess concrete.
    But you see, we ARE growing, but at a pace that is very easy to live with. Quality of life has gone up in the decade+ I have lived here each and every year and without the mobs of additional people. I love it. Sorry, we better get back to aviation here. Apologize for participating in the hijack.

Here you go Pete

Southwest Airlines Announces Nonstop Service to Austin – Bergstorm International Airport

OKLAHOMA CITY, July 27, 2021 – Southwest Airlines announced today that it will begin nonstop service from Oklahoma City’s Will Rogers World Airport to Austin – Bergstorm International Airport in Austin, Texas (AUS) beginning October 7, 2021.

“This is great news for Oklahoma City,” says Mark Kranenburg, Airports Director. “Austin is one of our largest markets and a popular destination for both leisure and business travelers. We appreciate Southwest’s commitment to our community by adding this great market for our passengers.”

As of today’s announcement, Southwest’s nonstop destinations from WRWA includes Atlanta, Chicago Midway, Denver, Houston, Las Vegas, Nashville, New Orleans, Orlando, Phoenix, St. Louis, Tampa and Ronald Reagan Washington National. The new service will bring the average number of daily departures by Southwest to 13.

The new Austin service will operate once daily, the current schedule is as follows*:
    AUS to OKC OKC to AUS

Departs 9:00am
    Arrives 10:25am

Departs 11:00am
    Arrives 12:25pm

*Times may vary slightly

Flights go on sale Friday, July 30 and may be booked through www.southwest.com.

Lol Southwest. Takes American and Breeze to finally get them off their a*s and add some routes. Rooting for American personally.

Blog Entries

Is it so wrong to ask for a direct (or even one-stop no getting off [picking people up]) flight to either Santa Fe or ABQ?

Depending on Breeze’s success, an eventual push westward may open up opportunities such as OKC-ABQ, COS, etc. on a less than daily schedule.

Avelo (headed by ex. allegiant CEO and (I think a brief time at United CFO) is expanding in the west, however they are using 737s for these markets which may be too much airplane for these smaller point to point routes. Avelo so far is using the allegiant model of having less than daily flying all out of one base, instead of Breeze doing multiple point to point flights between cities. So I think Avelo would be a long shot on such a route as OKC-ABQ. SAF is most decidedly not likely on either carrier, or any carrier for that matter.

And of course if Breeze added OKC-ABQ Southwest would
    Jump on it and throw themselves a parade on how great they are for connecting these two “important cities” in their network.

ABQ and COS would be a resumption of service not seen in OKC since the early 00’s. Great Plains flew OKC-ABQ and OKC-COS (both operated as TUL-OKC-ABQ and TUL-OKC-COS). Western Pacific also flew OKC-COS in the mid to late 90’s. Both would be great adds and make it easier for quick mountain getaways. Easier airports to navigate than DEN.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    ABQ and COS would be a resumption of service not seen in OKC since the early 00’s. Great Plains flew OKC-ABQ and OKC-COS (both operated as TUL-OKC-ABQ and TUL-OKC-COS). Western Pacific also flew OKC-COS in the mid to late 90’s. Both would be great adds and make it easier for quick mountain getaways. Easier airports to navigate than DEN.
    Did EasyJet (was that their name) try OKC-ABQ in the mid-2000s?

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    Did EasyJet (was that their name) try OKC-ABQ in the mid-2000s?
    Yes, it was EasyJet and I think it was one of those rare things where it was a brief layover in ABQ and then you could stay on the plane all the way to So. California. Do any flights do that now, let some people off and you can stay on if you are continuing? Seems like nowadays everyone has to deplane.

Sorry if wrong thread, but was booked 1st class Delta OKC to MSP, what perks are in 1st on a crappy cr 900? Delta website says " a" complimentary drink and snack.

Is that it?

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Yes, it was EasyJet and I think it was one of those rare things where it was a brief layover in ABQ and then you could stay on the plane all the way to So. California. Do any flights do that now, let some people off and you can stay on if you are continuing? Seems like nowadays everyone has to deplane.
    I flew Southwest DEN-BNA-RDU in 2019 and stayed on the plane in Nashville during the stop.

It was ExpressJet, not EasyJet (they are a European carrier)

They are relaunching as an independent carrier. No indications yet as to what their network aspirations are, if any (might just focus on charter work).

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    Sorry if wrong thread, but was booked 1st class Delta OKC to MSP, what perks are in 1st on a crappy cr 900? Delta website says " a" complimentary drink and snack.

Is that it?
    Pretty much.

21. Default Re: 2021 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    Pretty much.
    At least pre-Covid, Delta's minimum mileage to receive anything above a snack in first class was slightly longer than their longest route from OKC. AA and UA have routes to coastal cities that provided some type of meal service in first class, but I don't think anything has really been brought back to full service on anything except premium transcontinental routes and a few other select routes. Certainly not RJ routes yet, but I assume it will at somepoint-- at least I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post

Is that it?
    lots of booze ... .

Spotter alert: Storms hitting DFW.

Looks like an Emirates 777 and a UPS MD-11 are the notable visitors today.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Spotter alert: Storms hitting DFW.

Looks like an Emirates 777 and a UPS MD-11 are the notable visitors today.
    32 diverts on Sunday from DFW...can't ever remember that many in one afternoon. Controllers were running out of ramp space to park the planes.

25. Default Re: 2021 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

is WRWA the main diversion airport for DFW?

Seems like OKC should try to capitalize on that (not in a negative way), maybe having pax exit into the terminal and have something to do/eat?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information