Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

1. Default Re: 2021 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I heard it is planned for August
    Perfect. I could use some Northern California weather in August.

Default Re: 2021 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

United is increasing service from Chicago(ORD) to OKC in July from 2 flights a day to 3. Mix of CRJ-700 and EMB-175 . I don't recall but this seems similar to pre-pandemic

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Domestic traffic seems to be bouncing back quicker than expected all across the country--this is great news!
    I used miles to fly to Denver for family emergency, via United. The plane was a Canadair RJ 200, and I must say, I have never flown that body type before and I hope I never do again.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    I used miles to fly to Denver for family emergency, via United. The plane was a Canadair RJ 200, and I must say, I have never flown that body type before and I hope I never do again.
    They are terrible! I hate CRJs. The Embraers are my favorite.

The CRJ-200 came out in the late 90s and was a great concept to bring jet travel to communities that were smaller and only seeing prop planes. The CRJ-200 has been discontinued, but will probably remain in service for at least another decade. While the plane is small, it is good for getting on and off fast.

The CRJ-200 has its place (connecting cities via the Essential Air Service like you said) but I am somewhat surprised to see it used connecting a medium sized city like OKC and a hub. I’ve experienced it and it’s a pretty awful ride compared to just about any other commercial aircraft.

CRJ-200s are awful. I avoid them like the plague

Just finished an OKC-EYW-Tul- EYW-OKC run this week. TUL seems to have so much better amenities in their airport than we do. Several shops and even a place to get a massage. Decent name brand hotel basically on the property also. I know OKC has the Quality Inn but still consider those below Hilton Garden Inn (granted....not by much). TSA in TUL was using the newest technology where you just give them your license and no boarding pass required as it is already in their system.

Hopefully when OKC gets done...it will have a few more amenities and shops as we look pretty bad in comparison right now

^

Will Rogers is preparing to add a ton of new restaurants and shops and the entire security system and area will be reworked.

Should be done in the 3rd quarter of this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Just finished an OKC-EYW-Tul- EYW-OKC run this week. TUL seems to have so much better amenities in their airport than we do. Several shops and even a place to get a massage. Decent name brand hotel basically on the property also. I know OKC has the Quality Inn but still consider those below Hilton Garden Inn (granted....not by much). TSA in TUL was using the newest technology where you just give them your license and no boarding pass required as it is already in their system.

Hopefully when OKC gets done...it will have a few more amenities and shops as we look pretty bad in comparison right now
    TUL is trying to figure out what to do with the old Sheraton that is closed (across the street from the HGI). There are talks of demolishing it and rebuilding as a nicer hotel/conference center on airport property.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post

Regarding on-airport hotels, I think the airport has had a somewhat of a missed opportunity by not spurring their retail development ideas on the north side of the airport property. They have had little interest in their retail aspirations for the east side. That is quickly becoming industrial/shipping; which is appropriate.

Developing along the main terminal egress road is common in other cities, and helps to provide some traffic that can sustain on airport hotels. I have never understood why the airport has had no interest in developing the northern area of the property which would never see any potential aviation use; but has been eager to develop the east property to non-aviation uses.

United will be increasing the flights per day from 3 to 5 to Denver from OKC starting in July. 5 flights a day seems to be pre-pandemic levels. It looks like United will be returning back to pre-pandemic levels for the OKC-DEN, IAH,ORD routes. Still not finding any nonstop to Dulles, but I imagine that may not be far away by looking at all the other cities that service is being increased to.

14. Default Re: 2021 Oklahoma City Aviation Thread

Quote Originally Posted by damonsmuz View Post
    United will be increasing the flights per day from 3 to 5 to Denver from OKC starting in July. 5 flights a day seems to be pre-pandemic levels. It looks like United will be returning back to pre-pandemic levels for the OKC-DEN, IAH,ORD routes. Still not finding any nonstop to Dulles, but I imagine that may not be far away by looking at all the other cities that service is being increased to.
    4/5 flights on a CRJ200. No thanks. They should reduce the frequency back to 3 and up gauge the aircraft. I'm going to Denver in September but if these are the flight options you'll find me on Southwest (never my first, second, or third option) or driving.

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    4/5 flights on a CRJ200. No thanks. They should reduce the frequency back to 3 and up gauge the aircraft. I'm going to Denver in September but if these are the flight options you'll find me on Southwest (never my first, second, or third option) or driving.
    Yeah the frequency is nice but the equipment choice sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Regarding on-airport hotels, I think the airport has had a somewhat of a missed opportunity by not spurring their retail development ideas on the north side of the airport property. They have had little interest in their retail aspirations for the east side. That is quickly becoming industrial/shipping; which is appropriate.

Developing along the main terminal egress road is common in other cities, and helps to provide some traffic that can sustain on airport hotels. I have never understood why the airport has had no interest in developing the northern area of the property which would never see any potential aviation use; but has been eager to develop the east property to non-aviation uses.
    I have never under stood this either. You leave the airport and you don't pass anything. No gas station no Braums. I mean come on their should be a braums as soon as you leave the airport. You get on Meridian than airport road and all you pass is the car rental and a few other buildings. it's kind of sad if you ask me.

It looks like as you go deeper into summer and then fall, the equipment type increases to Denver. More EMB-175s in September than August. I guess if demand allows, then the equipment types will continue to increase and we'll see a return to mainline before you know it

Quote Originally Posted by damonsmuz View Post
    It looks like as you go deeper into summer and then fall, the equipment type increases to Denver. More EMB-175s in September than August. I guess if demand allows, then the equipment types will continue to increase and we'll see a return to mainline before you know it
    United has not loaded any real schedule beyond July.

How would I search for cheap flights from OKC on a specific date? I'm not too concerned with the destination, just looking for a spontaneous trip.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    How would I search for cheap flights from OKC on a specific date? I'm not too concerned with the destination, just looking for a spontaneous trip.
    As you have specific dates I would use kayak Explore :
    https://www.kayak.com/explore/OKC/20210609,20210621

For specific destinations but open dates I would advise Google flights.

Keep in mind, you ll have to check Southwest Airlines websites by yourself as their fare does not show on search engines.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    agreed. i would think that they should reduce and go to a larger plane... i would be more okay is having to work more around my schedule for a specific flight if the accommodations were better. something that amazes me that airlines haven't figured out yet

Cheapoair isn’t bad. I use them a lot.

That CRJ-200 is dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    That CRJ-200 is dreadful
    Yes it is. United has been doubling down on them. They are cheap to fly and somewhat reliable, and SkyWest is a pro at operating them.

But they still suck.

I like SkyScanner for this.

Thread Information