Widgets Magazine
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Default Migration to Discourse

    I am active on another message board that uses Discourse as their message board software. I have come to prefer it over others. Has there been any thought of ever migrating away from vBulletin to Discourse? I mostly ask because Discourse works much better in a mobile format. I should mention, I have no idea of the financial repercussions or the workload that would be needed to make the move. Just wondering.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Migration to Discourse

    Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    I am active on another message board that uses Discourse as their message board software. I have come to prefer it over others. Has there been any thought of ever migrating away from vBulletin to Discourse? I mostly ask because Discourse works much better in a mobile format. I should mention, I have no idea of the financial repercussions or the workload that would be needed to make the move. Just wondering.
    We have millions of posts going back over a decade.

    It would be a nightmare to convert.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Migration to Discourse

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    We have millions of posts going back over a decade.

    It would be a nightmare to convert.
    I'm not advocating going through the effort, but if you ever want to, there are some Ruby scripts out there that migrate the databases from vBulletin to Discourse. It's not something I'd recommend someone do themselves unless they're pretty script savvy, because it's not 100% perfect, but there are freelancers that will do this fairly cheaply.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Migration to Discourse

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    We have millions of posts going back over a decade.

    It would be a nightmare to convert.
    Yeah, I can imagine the effort would be considerable. I've just really enjoyed my experience with Discourse and prefer their responsive template.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Migration to Discourse

    I would also welcome it, but I understand itís not easily accomplished.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Migration to Discourse

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I'm not advocating going through the effort, but if you ever want to, there are some Ruby scripts out there that migrate the databases from vBulletin to Discourse. It's not something I'd recommend someone do themselves unless they're pretty script savvy, because it's not 100% perfect, but there are freelancers that will do this fairly cheaply.
    At least Pete knows how to get ahold of you.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Migration to Discourse

    True, but I'm not cheap.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Migration to Discourse

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    True, but I'm not cheap.
    Are you fast and good?

  9. #9

    Default Re: Migration to Discourse

    You minx.....

  10. #10

    Default Re: Migration to Discourse

    I'm going to keep banging this drum(sorry Pete.) The best part of Discourse is that it updates threads as posts are made so if a discussion is actively happening you don't have to keep refreshing the page to get new posts.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Migration to Discourse

    Or maybe vBulletin will update its software and he can just run a simple update rather than a massive data migration effort.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Migration to Discourse

    It really isn't a massive data migration, but yeah. I'm sure vBulletin will update.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Inbound Migration to Oklahoma County
    By KenRagsdale in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 02-11-2014, 10:20 AM
  2. Hallelujah! Exurban migration may be coming to an end...
    By soonerguru in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 06-28-2012, 08:00 PM
  3. Oklahoma County In/Out Migration Map
    By metro in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 06-21-2010, 08:02 PM
  4. Oklahoma In-Migration
    By Centerback in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 10-21-2008, 12:55 PM
  5. Migration top Death in Mexico
    By MadMonk in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-03-2007, 08:14 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO