Widgets Magazine

Thread: Oklahoma Wranglers (AFL)

Blog Entries

Default Oklahoma Wranglers (AFL)

The Oklahoma Wranglers were a professional arena football team based in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. They were members of the Central (1996–1997) and Western (1998–2001) Division of the American Conference of the Arena Football League (AFL). They previously played as the Memphis Pharaohs and Portland Forest Dragons. The team played at the Myriad, now known as the Cox Convention Center, in downtown Oklahoma City.

...and...

Default Re: Oklahoma Wranglers (AFL)

Correct me if I am wrong but the Wranglers played only 2 seasons, 2000 and 2001 before they folded. The above information was not clear about their time here.

The Yard Dawgz played as an expansion team in the AFL2, a minor league for a minor league. They did eventually get AFL status but by then the Thunder had forced them out of the Ford Center.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but the Wranglers played only 2 seasons, 2000 and 2001 before they folded. The above information was not clear about their time here.

The Yard Dawgz played as an expansion team in the AFL2, a minor league for a minor league. They did eventually get AFL status but by then the Thunder had forced them out of the Ford Center.
    Didn't follow the Oklahoma Wranglers that closely; but like you I only remember them being here two seasons.

Here are some links:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...l_League_teams

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nglers_seasons

They may be counting and following the team from its initial franchise seasons in Memphis and Portland.

We went to a couple Wranglers games. I thought the AFL was a pretty good league and indoor football was a good sport for it’s time. A couple memories are they had a defensive back who just graduated from OU and was both talented and popular (me not remembering his name is more due to my age ranger than he being forgettable), and the quarterback just heaving these rainbows from end to end of the arena during pre-game warmups. Talk about hang time. Can’t remember his name either, except I think it was an Hispanic surname.

yes the AFL had a market when the NFL was the "No Fun League". and a little known fact about the AFL is that OU's own Tommy Grady ended up like Top 5 in almost all of the Career QB stats over his career.

I have always thought that a 2nd pro football league where teams concentrated on college football players from nearby colleges would be successful. This way, fans have kind of a built-in allegience. and familiarity.

7. Default Re: Oklahoma Wranglers (AFL)

We went to almost every home game. It was definitely a different game but it was fun to watch.

Went to a home game with my cousin, it was awesome to watch, was a fan of Arena Football, wish we could get a team back here, of course the team would be in the IFL.

the problem is that the world and economics have changed. with steaming home services, people don't go to as many events anymore. attendance for even major leagues has seen a slight decline and lots of turn over in Season ticket holders. people just seem to be more okay with staying home, watching a game there and not going out. in this case, without a tv deal no new minor league football group has a chance of success. the XFL proved it could work, it's just that Vince McMahon was loosing so much on Wrestling that he couldn't handle even the relatively small losses on the XFL side, but i would be willing to be you give it 3 years and it would have started to atleast break even. we shall see when Rock "The Dwayne" Johnson brings it back in 2022, now that he is owner

Blog Entries

Here's the attendance figures for the Wranglers' two seasons in 2000-2002: https://www.arenafan.com/teams/?page=history&team=47

Memphis: https://www.arenafan.com/teams/?page=history&team=31

& Portland: https://www.arenafan.com/teams/?page=history&team=35

Notice that once there was a significant attendance drop, the franchise relocated to another market.

Looks like OKC is a finalist to get an Arena football team in the league that is relaunching.

https://twitter.com/thearenaleague/s...wYqN2FSLIJBHKg

The other cities named as finalists don't excite me.

Yawn!

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    The other cities named as finalists don't excite me.
    Neither will the games.

Blog Entries

Are we on schedule to have a semi-pro team play at Crossroads Mall where they will set up a temporary 60-yard field stadium.

^^^

My goodness!

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    History repeating itself.

https://uselessinformation.org/sucker-day/

I've been involved with that Carrie Lawrence before. Let me just say, she's 100% full of crap in everything she does. I've wanted to say something but I've kept my mouth shut, but as long as her and her husband are running Crossroads, absolutely nothing will happen there except for people losing their money.

Blog Entries

Wrangler football team at Crossroads is a scam: https://www.reddit.com/r/okc/comment...tm_name=iossmf

Are we (FCC, FTC) doing enough to discourage this type of open scams committed in broad daylight.

Recall when we had a semi-pro team owned by Representative L.H. Bengtson Jr., recall riding the chartered bus to Albuquerque,
    N.M. for a game between the Oklahoma City Wranglers and the New Mexico Scorpions in the old Professional Football League of
    America (PFLA). Recall the Daily Oklahoman attempting to contact the League Office which they never found. LOL . . .

When Leonardo DiCaprio stars in the movie about this I hope they film it in the former Myriad turned movie studio. The whole story would come full circle.

Blog Entries

Post Re: Oklahoma Wranglers (AFL)

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    When Leonardo DiCaprio stars in the movie about this I hope they film it in the former Myriad turned movie studio. The whole story would come full circle.
    For your sake, I hope they film it soon. The city-owned four square block former Myriad Convention Center is being considered as a site to replace Paycom Center as a new home for the NBA Oklahoma City Thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    Wrangler football team at Crossroads is a scam: https://www.reddit.com/r/okc/comment...tm_name=iossmf

Are we (FCC, FTC) doing enough to discourage this type of open scams committed in broad daylight.

Recall when we had a semi-pro team owned by Representative L.H. Bengtson Jr., recall riding the chartered bus to Albuquerque,
    N.M. for a game between the Oklahoma City Wranglers and the New Mexico Scorpions in the old Professional Football League of
    America (PFLA). Recall the Daily Oklahoman attempting to contact the League Office which they never found. LOL . . .
    Laramie, was this the team that Rusty Hilger played for that was at Del City HS? I went to a few games of that team back in 1991?

Quote Originally Posted by borchard View Post
    Laramie, was this the team that Rusty Hilger played for that was at Del City HS? I went to a few games of that team back in 1991?
    Don't think so. The OKC Wranglers semipro team was from the mid 70s, predating Hilger by a few years. The Wranglers were actually very good, routinely beating the tar out of their opponents and scoring into the 60s and 70s.

Thread Information