Widgets Magazine
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 353637383940

Thread: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

Quote Originally Posted by WheelerD Guy View Post
    I guess I’m not understanding the purported Risk of the vaccines.
    There’s just an enormous amount of data out there to support efficacy and safety.
    This will go down as one of the sadder periods in the country’s history.
    Probably cause healthcare officials went all in on 100% "safe and effective", then you had those cases of myocarditis that forced them to say oh well, its mostly safe and effective.

The biggest elephant in the room is the large is the VAERS data. They never really explained very well why this data "shouldn't matter".

For the record, I am vaccinated. So I certainly hope the original sample studies are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    The biggest elephant in the room is the large is the VAERS data. They never really explained very well why this data "shouldn't matter".
    Because it is user submitted and unvalidated. It might as well be anon posts on 4chan.

Probably cause healthcare officials went all in on 100% "safe and effective", then you had those cases of myocarditis that forced them to say oh well, its mostly safe and effective.

For the record, I am vaccinated. So I certainly hope the original sample studies are correct.
    All instances of myocarditis healed with no long term effects, and side effects from COVID are vastly worse than any from the vaccine, even in younger folks. The vaccines are safe and effective, and those choosing to not take it have 0 good reasons for doing so (excepting those who are immunocompromised). Other than perhaps getting COVID to own the libs.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7027e2.htm

If you wanted to, you could very easily find out why VAERS data is not a reliable indicator of vaccine-caused adverse effects and why it's not an "elephant in the room." 99.9% of people who cite VAERS and the data within (just like those who cite the vaccine injury fund) have no idea whatsoever how VAERS works and what it shows. But that information is widely available, so that just demonstrates, once again, the bad faith of the anti-vaccine or "just asking questions" crowd.

5. Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

You know what else causes myocarditis in some patients? COVID-19.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    There is a statistically significant correlation between party ID and vaccine uptake. Blue states, and even counties, are more vaccinated while red states and counties are less vaccinated. It really is that simple:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-politics.html

There's a reason why this most recent delta outbreak is occurring in deep-red Missouri, Arkansas and other locations
    Politics had nothing to do why I was on the fence about getting vaccinated until late March. It was just plain old fear of what might happen. The falsehoods and fear that anti-vaxxers put out was certainly no help. Probably groundless fear, not politics drive them. But I eventually came to reason it would be okay, since I've never had a bad reaction from vaccines in the past and never came across horror stories from test subjects of the vaccines. It would also be good to feel safer when masks requirements expired. I bet some people who haven't been vaccinated feel stuck between a rock and a hard place about what to do.

^

But you did get vaccinated and in March.

Here we are in July and the people still refusing to do so are largely driven by their politics and the 'news' outlets they follow. Try watching Fox News some evening, let alone Newsmax and others. Non-stop diatribes about how the vaccine is a 'control mechanism' and somehow an infringement on freedom.

All this rationalizing you see for not getting the shots or excusing others who refuse to do so is just an attempt to deflect from the core reason, and everyone knows it.

^^^^ it’s all very bizarre. I know people who are vaccinated watching hosts like Tucker Carson who is vaccinated go on rants about the vaccine and how it’s ineffective or is used to control people. It’s very weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    ^^^^ it’s all very bizarre. I know people who are vaccinated watching hosts like Tucker Carson who is vaccinated go on rants about the vaccine and how it’s ineffective or is used to control people. It’s very weird.
    No more bizarre than the constant claims that the presidential election was 'stolen' or that there was widespread voter fraud when there is zero evidence. This is still going on all day every day.

It's all part of just choosing an alternate reality and having news Fox News and others repeat it over and over.

It's the definition of gaslighting and incredible to imagine it would be effective in this day and age. And even worse when it is directly costing thousands of lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Politics had nothing to do why I was on the fence about getting vaccinated until late March. It was just plain old fear of what might happen. The falsehoods and fear that anti-vaxxers put out was certainly no help. Probably groundless fear, not politics drive them. But I eventually came to reason it would be okay, since I've never had a bad reaction from vaccines in the past and never came across horror stories from test subjects of the vaccines. It would also be good to feel safer when masks requirements expired. I bet some people who haven't been vaccinated feel stuck between a rock and a hard place about what to do.
    You may not have felt like your hesitancy was motivated by politics because, I assume, as a rational and intelligent person, you had never considered politics when making medical decisions before this, because that's just a stupid and irrational thing to do.

However, the problem is that 'fear' is today's most potent political capital, and also an incredibly reliable generator of ratings and attention. Generating fear equals generating an audience which equals generating revenue. In turn, it also generates votes. Which is how you get power in the US and, therefore, that's what makes fear such a formidable political tool.

The "plain old fear of what might happen" is just human nature and totally reasonable. Its completely normal and understandable. And, normally, I assume, when fear occurs as a result of a situation someone doesn't know much about, the rational person turns to someone who has extensive knowledge about that 'rock and a hard place' they're in to try and figure out a way to navigate the situation in a way that has the best chance of resulting in a good outcome.

This is why there are plumbers.

This is why there are electricians.

This is why there are mechanics.

And this is why there are doctors.

You don't ask your politician or watch cable news or favorite celebrity to find out how you should deal with an electrical fire, or a busted pipe, or a flat tire. Because they don't know what the **** they're talking about. But, if making you scared of those things and the people who know how to deal with them will make you pay more attention to the them than the people who know what they're talking about, that's what those talking heads will do, because that's their currency. That is what they know how to do.

Once you decided to put aside your completely normal fears and learned more about the vaccines from people who actually know about it, you made a rational decision to get it. That makes sense.

I get that you feel that your original fear was not about politics, but it can not be denied that the politics of fear is keeping many from doing their part and participating in a proven, safe and, effective effort to end the COVID-19 pandemic.

At the end of the day, if someone is unsure whether they should participate in that effort, they should start by asking someone who actually knows what they're talking about rather than seeking out solutions on infotainment news networks or social media.

They should just ask their doctor. Simple as that.

If anybody says they haven't had COVID-19 vaccine because their physician told them not to then, of course, that's the right call. But if anyone is not getting it because they watched Tucker Carlson or they were convinced by a facebook thread not to get it, then they probably need help making life decisions that goes way beyond the simple decision of whether or not to get vaccinated against COVID-19.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    No more bizarre than the constant claims that the presidential election was 'stolen' or that there was widespread voter fraud when there is zero evidence. This is still going on all day every day.

It's all part of just choosing an alternate reality and having news Fox News and others repeat it over and over.

It's the definition of gaslighting and incredible to imagine it would be effective in this day and age. And even worse when it is directly costing thousands of lives.
    Yet you still have people dismissing the vaccine even when their neighbors die:

https://apple.news/AlhBc3RPjTqW8N6_IDVJpAA

I hate to think it but we might just have to ride another wave and make sacrifices because of people’s ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I can understand the initial hesitancy, but we are now a year into actual shots in arms with very few serious side effects. It's a very low-risk proposition at this point; driving to the pharmacy is probably the highest risk involved. But at this point, I am done arguing with people about it. It was safe enough for Trump to get it, mostly all of the Republican leaders have gotten it, I read that Fox News required it of their staff in order to work on location, etc. Those same people are going on TV and Twitter and harping on about how unsafe it is despite them having no objections to getting it themselves. That's where we need to draw the line and call it what it is: misinformation designed to inflame the political divide. There is no reason that this had to become political. This pandemic was the perfect opportunity for us to have a 9/11 type of unification to bring the country back together for a few years. When Americans all pull on the same end of the rope we can do some pretty amazing things. But from the get-go, this was turned into a political show from the former President and has turned what could have been a simple science-based response into a hodge-podge of political stalemate that has caused half a million dead Americans to end up in cemeteries.
    Outstanding summary overall. Thank you for highlighting the bolded portion. It is an outrage that this kind of hypocrisy is happening, and because it is, people are dying as a result. Total misinformation for purely political reasons. it is the most outrageously vile and unacceptable politics I've ever seen.

I have been seeing this website posted in different message boards.

https://www.openvaers.com/covid-data

Can anyone provide some context and resources?

VAERS is open source and anyone can anonymously post on it. Little of the data is actually verified and even before COVID anti vaxxers would flood the system to spread their conspiracy theories. https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjpm...-are-dangerous

Please don't post links to misinformation sites.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    VAERS is open source and anyone can anonymously post on it. Little of the data is actually verified and even before COVID anti vaxxers would flood the system to spread their conspiracy theories. https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjpm...-are-dangerous
    Thank you, I will pass it on.

Thread Information