Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 40 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Based on that news and previous stories I gather the schools made a deal to get their own vaccinated apart from other manpower resources. Phase 2 is 5 groups. 3 of those are eligible now. Teachers and people with comorbid issues are what remains. IIRC, when I added up numbers on the state’s website for each group, Phase 1 and 2 combined were 650,000 people. That’s 1,300,000 doses required to give two shots. We have 400,000 in hand per of the CDC today, with 200,000 administered. It seems possible in a month they could be starting the remainder of people in Phase 2.
    They have not scheduled all those who registered that are in the first two sub groups.
    My 67 year old wife with asthma, cancer, and hyper tension has still not been given the link to register. She pre registered on Jan. 8.
    I'm hoping when the DPAA is activated the vaccine supply will increase.

2. Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

Honestly I am proud of Oklahoma for at least being in the top half of vaccine administration. They are doing this with limited staff through agencies that have been under-funded (like all services in OK) for decades. All while the pandemic grows and they get bad information from the federal level they have to deal with. I hope we can keep this up and I was glad to say they think they can vaccinate people at an even faster rate if they had the doses.

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    There are several studies coming out of Israel right now that are pretty fascinating. They have vaccinated about 30% of their population. Granted, most of their studies have small sample sizes which would suggest that you should interpret with caution; however, it’s better than nothing at this point.

They have found

1: 6% of 189,000 people tested positive for covid after the first injection.
    2: 69 people have tested positive after both jabs; however, this isn’t surprising. As long as it helps with symptoms.
    3. A single jab with the Pfizer shot reduces risk only 30-60%
    4. Both Pfizer jabs protected 98 out of 100 people.

I’m on my phone so can’t link the article. It sounds like the British variant is spreading so quickly and the first Pfizer shot is more ineffective than they thought for protection, that it’s hurting their ability to beat back the virus. Get BOTH shots!!
    Important to point out that getting COVID-19 after the vaccine is not the same as getting severely sick/dying, which the vaccines seem to almost completely end. This messaging is really important. These vaccines are literally saving lives and everyone should be ecstatic about the results.

As this article points out, we've really been underselling that the vaccines are literal lifesavers when discussing them.

The Moderna and Pfizer vaccines are “essentially 100 percent effective against serious disease,” Dr. Paul Offit, the director of the Vaccine Education Center at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, said. “It’s ridiculously encouraging.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    They have not scheduled all those who registered that are in the first two sub groups.
    My 67 year old wife with asthma, cancer, and hyper tension has still not been given the link to register. She pre registered on Jan. 8.
    I'm hoping when the DPAA is activated the vaccine supply will increase.
    I know. There are people in Phase 1 who haven't been able to schedule for one reason or another. It does make sense that when they get close to finishing up a group they would open up other groups to keep appoimments fully booked. The devil in the details.

I went back and looked up the numbers. Unfortunately in their plan they grouped the population count of 65+ with those who have comorbidities. They have only allowed people over 65+ from that group so we don't have access to an actual estimated number of people who are eligible. But here is a recap of how it breaks down.

Phase 1...157,900
    Phase 2...817,300
    Phase 3...1,500,000
    Phase 4...555,200
    Total 3,030,400

Breaking down Phase 2
    First Responders...5,000
    Subset of Healthcare Workers not in Phase 1...67,000
    65+ and people with comorbidities...635,000 (Google says the Oklahoma Population 65 and over is 455,950. There would be some overlap of that population in other groups in Phase 1 and 2.)
    Teachers and staff in Pre-K-12 schools and educational settings...89,000
    Workers and persons living or working in congregate settings...19,300.00
    Public health staff supporting front line efforts...2,000

People currently eligible who may or may not have had a vaccine dose, and who may or may not be able to get an appointment is 685,000 plus or minus.

Add in the teachers, those with comorbidities and the rest of Phase 2, (Phase 1 and 2 totals combined) the total will be 975,200

Stats from here: https://oklahoma.gov/content/dam/ok/...2012-10-20.pdf

We just received word today that my independent living facility (formerly Edmond Mansions, now Silver Elm) will be visited by a group on Saturday, January 30th to administer the vaccine for anyone that wants it. I think that's a good sign, I'm in the age group (77) that was next on the list. We are actually limited to age 55 or older unless you have a disability. Just thought I would mention it for those of you that have relatives in a place like mine that help is on the way.
    C. T.

6. Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

That is great to hear CT, it can't come fast enough!

Locally, sounds like OKC health orgs are getting them in arms almost as fast as they get them. From Mayor Holt's twitter this morning (https://twitter.com/davidfholt/statu...592884305923):

I re-verified this with @okchealth after this conversation. 100 PERCENT of vaccine doses distributed to our local health department are put in arms within the week. Give us more doses!
    Again, looks like the issue was systematic failure at the federal level, which given that the Trump administration never had an actual vaccine distribution plan (https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/21/polit...ump/index.html) makes a sad bit of sense.

8. Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

We have now moved up to 6th in the US for doses (1st doses) per 100k population. Good news.

Good to see our city and state are executing a vaccine plan with some success. Having a plan at the federal level should help immensely.

10. Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I guess we will cross that bridge when we get there. I imagine there will be less demand here in 5 months as we head to summer and case drop to near nothing. Those 75 million will probably only act in the late fall if they see cases start climbing again. Most people who in this category just don't want to be the first in line or its kind of pointless to say your going to get vaccinated when they have zero chance of getting their hands on a vaccine anytime soon.
    I really think there is some exaggeration about how many people do not want it. I think they will have no problem filling up appointments from now until late summer. Then when it is approved for people under 18 then it is going to have another big spike of children getting it.

I think our first meaningful fall in numbers will happen this summer as well. I hope we can get the at risk vaccinated soon so the hospitalization and deaths start to go down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    The DPA is going to be activated which will increase supply. It should have been done months ago.
    Hopefully, but I think we would had to plan on having other pharmaceutical's producing their competitors product early on for a true wartime like use of DPA. Or build Pfizer or Moderna bigger manufacturing lines.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I think our first meaningful fall in numbers will happen this summer as well. I hope we can get the at risk vaccinated soon so the hospitalization and deaths start to go down.
    Yeah, that's the biggest goal. Sadly the vaccines came about 4 months too late. Of course, if Covid really got started before winter 2020, we wouldn't have been able to save any lives, but we probably would have locked down longer during that timeframe so there's that.....

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I really think there is some exaggeration about how many people do not want it..
    I hope you are right and i based my guess of 75 million people not wanting it for various reasons.
    How many anti vaxers do we already have? How many people refuse to get the flu shot every year?

It might be more like 50 or 25 million, but there will still be a large chunk of society not getting the vaccine. And yes this won't be a problem for a while, but Biden has to try and convince as many people out of this group to get vaccinated.

I got my first dose today of the Moderna vaccine with the appointment for the second dose on Feb. 18th. I went to the OCCHD facility on NE 63rd and was greatly impressed. It was extremely well organized and went smoothly. Everyone working there was very friendly, very helpful, and very professional. While not perfect, Oklahoma seems to have a much better system than some other states that I keep hearing horror stories about.

Blog Entries

I was lucky enough to get an appointment and the first shot last Thursday at Deaconess. When I was handed my inoculation paper, they had the return date as 2/11, and I was asked if I wanted the same time, and said yes, and 12:00 was added. Some friends got their shots in Duncan yesterday, and even though they got the inoculation papers, they seem to think they have to sign up again for the second shot. Are you automatically scheduled for the second shot at the same location, or do you have other options?

I got my shot in Enid and the same as your friend. Got a date of return but was told I still needed to make an appointment. I also got an email from the portal with a link.

I got my first shot in Ponca City on Jan 14. They gave me a card and it said 'RETURN' on Feb 16. But the lady told me I would have to make another appointment.

Well, I got Moderna, and Moderna has a 28 day requirement wait time, which means I should get it as soon as Feb 11...... So they extended it 5 extra days.

I have not yet gotten a signup confirmation email to signup for the second shot.

My company announced that they would like to implement mandatory vaccines. In a related note, the airport I work at is setting up a vaccine distribution point and all employers at the airport have submitted their work rosters to the denver health department who will organize that list and begin setting up appointments. This will be voluntary. Transportation workers have been moved into Colorado's Phase 1B. So I should hopefully be getting my initial vaccine in the coming weeks.

One problem is hesitancy - a lot of workers are totally outraged at this and are already up in arms and saying they will refuse it. That is what you get with a largely uneducated workforce.

20. Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    My company announced that they would like to implement mandatory vaccines. In a related note, the airport I work at is setting up a vaccine distribution point and all employers at the airport have submitted their work rosters to the denver health department who will organize that list and begin setting up appointments. This will be voluntary. Transportation workers have been moved into Colorado's Phase 1B. So I should hopefully be getting my initial vaccine in the coming weeks.

One problem is hesitancy - a lot of workers are totally outraged at this and are already up in arms and saying they will refuse it. That it what you get with a largely uneducated workforce.
    I understand people's hesitancy. It takes education about this vaccine and being understanding to people. I think it will be a while but people will come around. Oklahoma polls show 68% will take the vaccine of the adults who can. That needs to be higher but as we vaccinate people and people see their friends and family doing just fine they will jump on board. I think shaming people or calling them stupid gets you no where. Knowing where people are coming from can make a difference in this.

21. Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

We have a long way to go but in the US today we vaccinated more people than daily infected. Feels nice to see that even for just one day. Thank you scientists and all the volunteers giving out this shot!

This may not apply to anyone posting here but there is a private event for specific OK county public school employees. I'm not sure of the specifics but registration is thru your district's HR department. Here is a brief description:

"Today, the Oklahoma City-County Health Department (OCCHD) notified us that they will host another special vaccination event for public school employees in our county that are age 65, as well as our Allied Health professionals (Speech Paths, OTs, PTs) and First Responders (campus security guards) on Monday, February 1st from 12pm to 7pm at Northeast Regional Health and Wellness Campus at 2600 NE 63rd Street, Oklahoma City, OK 73111. "

The e-mail wasn't completely clear to me on the 65 age limit, but allied health professionals and first responders don't need to be 65 to qualify. Myself and many of my <65 co-workers are already signed up.

Maybe someone here has friends or family who fall under these parameters and can get vaccinated quicker than they would waiting for the state program.

Quote Originally Posted by Mott View Post
    I was lucky enough to get an appointment and the first shot last Thursday at Deaconess. When I was handed my inoculation paper, they had the return date as 2/11, and I was asked if I wanted the same time, and said yes, and 12:00 was added. Some friends got their shots in Duncan yesterday, and even though they got the inoculation papers, they seem to think they have to sign up again for the second shot. Are you automatically scheduled for the second shot at the same location, or do you have other options?
    I have friends who were vaccinated in various locations and received return appointments at that time. We went to Ada, and when I asked about how to schedule the second appointment, they said I needed to go back through the scheduling portal, just as I did to schedule the first appointment. I asked two different people and received the same answer. Seems to be varied, based on where you receive your first shot.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the comments, I called the COVID hot line and asked, and was told that I was given a specific time and date to return and that was it. One of my friend’s said he had gotten a email the next day after his shot in Duncan with a link to schedule his next shot. So there seems to be some different procedures for different locations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mott View Post
    Thanks for the comments, I called the COVID hot line and asked, and was told that I was given a specific time and date to return and that was it. One of my friend’s said he had gotten a email the next day after his shot in Duncan with a link to schedule his next shot. So there seems to be some different procedures for different locations.
    That is obviously the case. At the OCCHD there are people at tables with computers that you see before you leave. They set up a specific date and time to come back to the same location. They also send an email confirmation of that appointment and write it down on a card to take with you and bring back when you return.

Thread Information