Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 40 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    If we would authorize the AstraZeneca vaccine and Johnson and Johnson receives authorization for their one-dose shot in mid February, we could effectively end the pandemic in 10-12 weeks. Assuming enough uptake, of course.
    Pretty sure that I read both of those companies’ vaccines have much lower efficacy than others.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    Pretty sure that I read both of those companies’ vaccines have much lower efficacy than others.
    You haven't read anything about J&J's efficacy because the data from the phase 3 hasn't been released yet. We are expecting that data at the end of the month.

For AstraZeneca, there was confusion about the data due to a dosing mistake in the trials, but closer review of the data shows very high efficacy.

You haven't read anything about J&J's efficacy because the data from the phase 3 hasn't been released yet. We are expecting that data at the end of the month.

For AstraZeneca, there was confusion about the data due to a dosing mistake in the trials, but closer review of the data shows very high efficacy.
    You're right, J&J's ph3 isn't complete. But based on their early data, they're aiming for 60-70% efficacy. As for AZN, after that dosing mishap was acknowledged, their efficacy was still on average 70%. Both do have the supply chain advantages that Pfizer and Moderna do not, but I definitely prefer as vaccine with 90%+ efficacy.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    You're right, J&J's ph3 isn't complete. But based on their early data, they're aiming for 60-70% efficacy. As for AZN, after that dosing mishap was acknowledged, their efficacy was still on average 70%. Both do have the supply chain advantages that Pfizer and Moderna do not, but I definitely prefer as vaccine with 90%+ efficacy.
    Definitely would love to have 90% efficacy, but 70% is a *very* good response. Also, even with 70% efficacy, not a single person who received the vaccine ended up hospitalized, which is fantastic.

6. Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

Oklahoma has approx 450,000 registered on the portal and 200,000 doses have been given. Not great but considering that many people didn't expect a vaccine until spring it's better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by sophiesdad View Post
    Why can't the Bennett Center at the fairgrounds be used as a vaccination site?
    They could but, based on this, lack of vaccination sites doesn't appear to be the problem at this point in time.
    https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/...3d30ccf0fb4dd3

What a cluster****, A lack of communication from the federal government and the states resulted in pointless finger pointing over the slow rate of immunizations. It has always been about a lack of supply.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Oklahoma has approx 450,000 registered on the portal and 200,000 doses have been given. Not great but considering that many people didn't expect a vaccine until spring it's better than that.
    The recent decline in the rate of hospitalizations provides some help that at least the first dose that went LTC residents is starting to improve outcomes and reduce hospitalizations. The case rate hasn't really fell yet.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Well bad news. Turns out there is no stock being held back as was said. They have been taking right off the line for two weeks now. So our stock will stay flat as of now. Sucks we thought it might double.

https://t.co/vcbAiZBS1E
    This just has all the feels of (hopefully) the last wretched lie of this administration. I'm sure there will be other IEDs lying in wait.

What a disgraceful time in history. Never thought I would ever witness anything like this in America.

10. Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

Recap: mom didn't get the vaccine in Dec because my family decided against it.

Now: a few residents where she is contracted COVID and at least one died so my family reconsidered. She got the first dose today.

I got my shot yesterday in Ponca City. It was a very organized system. When I drove up and parked, the police gave me the clipboard with a conformation list to fill out. He said as soon I was finished to come on. The police had a table outside for check in. They told me to go on in even though I was 17 minutes prior to my beginning slot time. I went in and checked in at the next desk (turned in form) and did an ID check. They sent me to the other side of the room (basketball gym) where they had 3 nurse stations with 6 nurses. I had 3 nurses waving at me wanting to administer the shot. The next stop was at the door of the waiting room where I was given a card about my vaccine and when to register for the next shot. I then took a seat where they had a lot of chairs social distanced. In 15 minutes I left and the National Guard lady sanitized my chair with a spray bottle. Total time spent was about 25 minutes.

Anybody on here up to date on the vaccine research? Have they done any studies yet as to whether you can still get and transmit the virus after vaccination? Hoping we can have an answer for that sooner rather than later so we know when we can stop wearing masks so much...not that they really bother me or anything...

I have read that you can still transmit the virus, even if the vaccine protects you against it. It can essentially make you an asymptomatic carrier. I am not sure how long you can transmit, I would guess the window would be much shorter.

I believe that *none* of the vaccines prevent you from getting and/or transmitting the virus, their main purpose is to lessen the symptoms so you don't get seriously ill and/or die if you're vaccinated.

Also, even with 70% efficacy, not a single person who received the vaccine ended up hospitalized, which is fantastic.
    Yes, this is very important. A big issue with the mRNA vaccines is that they’re a newer technology and we don’t know long term effects. Now it’s really scary to hear about the 25+ elderly people in Norway that died after getting the Pfizer vaccine. Moderna is the one I think is getting more of the distribution around here, my parents included. Has me slightly concerned.

16. Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

There is more thorough study going on. The 23 were frail patients in their 80s.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    There is more thorough study going on. The 23 were frail patients in their 80s.
    Yup, the deaths aren't directly linked to the vaccine. But looks like there are 33 deaths in Norway now, with some in their 70s. Also some deaths in Germany after taking Pfizer/BioNtech's vaccine. Maybe 70% efficacy with the other traditional vaccines is a better option after all?

18. Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

Oklahoma City Public School teachers are going to start getting their vaccines on Feb. 12th.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Oklahoma City Public School teachers are going to start getting their vaccines on Feb. 12th.
    Just OKCPS or other educators too?

Are they skipping the group with comorbid issues in Phase 2 or adding them at the same time they do teachers? Source of this information?

21. Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Just OKCPS or other educators too?
    So far that is just from the OKCPS Superintendent. https://twitter.com/KOCOShelby/statu...143557121?s=20

22. Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Are they skipping the group with comorbid issues in Phase 2 or adding them at the same time they do teachers? Source of this information?
    No group is skipped. They are all in phase 2. This is just information from the SI of OKCPS https://twitter.com/KOCOShelby/statu...143557121?s=20

Sounds like the chokepoint is at the federal level. Hopefully competent leadership there starting tomorrow will open up more doses

From https://twitter.com/WILLIAMCRUM/stat...56818850492419

Public health official says #OKC County Health Department could “distribute four to five times the vaccine available now.” Supply problems are at federal source; OCCHD sought 25,000 doses last week & only received 6,000.

Based on that news and previous stories I gather the schools made a deal to get their own vaccinated apart from other manpower resources. Phase 2 is 5 groups. 3 of those are eligible now. Teachers and people with comorbid issues are what remains. IIRC, when I added up numbers on the state’s website for each group, Phase 1 and 2 combined were 650,000 people. That’s 1,300,000 doses required to give two shots. We have 400,000 in hand per of the CDC today, with 200,000 administered. It seems possible in a month they could be starting the remainder of people in Phase 2.

There are several studies coming out of Israel right now that are pretty fascinating. They have vaccinated about 30% of their population. Granted, most of their studies have small sample sizes which would suggest that you should interpret with caution; however, it’s better than nothing at this point.

They have found

1: 6% of 189,000 people tested positive for covid after the first injection.
    2: 69 people have tested positive after both jabs; however, this isn’t surprising. As long as it helps with symptoms.
    3. A single jab with the Pfizer shot reduces risk only 30-60%
    4. Both Pfizer jabs protected 98 out of 100 people.

I’m on my phone so can’t link the article. It sounds like the British variant is spreading so quickly and the first Pfizer shot is more ineffective than they thought for protection, that it’s hurting their ability to beat back the virus. Get BOTH shots!!

Thread Information