Widgets Magazine
Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

Another big drop in the number of Oklahomans who became fully vaccinated this past week, continuing a strong decline that started 2 months ago after the big initial surge.

Presently, only 45.1% of adults in OK have been completely vaccinated.

With the wide and easy (and completely free) availability and with the Dept. of Health traveling all over the state, almost everybody not currently vaxxed just doesn't want to be.

Assuming it was a typo, but I would be in favor of a name change to the Dept. of Healthy! Has a fun ring to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Another big drop in the number of Oklahomans who became fully vaccinated this past week, continuing a strong decline that started 2 months ago after the big initial surge.

With the wide and easy (and completely free) availability and with the Dept. of Health traveling all over the state, almost everybody not currently vaxxed just doesn't want to be.
    So we expect it will be back this fall/winter? Is that the current thinking?

People hospitalized with COVID-19 now have one overwhelming thing in common. They're not vaccinated.

"We're all seeing the same thing – when someone does get sick and comes to the hospital, they're much more likely to be young and unvaccinated," said Dr. Robert Wachter, professor and chair of the Department of Medicine at the University of California, San Francisco.

Total # vaccinated is still increasing. Increasing, week over week, but at a slower rate of increase, week over week, than in recent periods.

First and second derivatives. I was thrown off , but I see it now - the growth in the total numbers fully vaccinated has slowed greatly. Completely vaccinated (temporarily? ) is flattening.

Oklahoma currently at #41 with a 36% full vaccination rate. Vermont is highest at 64% and Mississippi is lowest at 29%.

Some current rates for surrounding states:
    New Mexico: 51% (11)
    Colorado: 49% (17)
    Kansas: 40% (32)
    Texas: 39% (34)
    Missouri: 37% (39)
    Arkansas: 33% (49)

https://www.beckershospitalreview.co...-march-15.html

9. Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    RSV would be huge. A lot of kids really suffer from it.
    Yeah. The potential of mRNA technology is pretty exciting. As far as I understand RSV is worse than COVID for kids. I don't know if the trials will be able to go as fast with fewer cases, though.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Yeah. The potential of mRNA technology is pretty exciting. As far as I understand RSV is worse than COVID for kids. I don't know if the trials will be able to go as fast with fewer cases, though.
    Considering the abysmally low vaccination rate for the current quadrivalent influenza vaccine which is offered free every year, I am pessimistic about a big uptake of this one in Oklahoma. It would still be an annual vaccine. Adding in the RSV and SARS coverage is nice addition but I doubt that the people who never get their flu shot are saying "I'll wait until it covers 4 respiratory viruses instead of just 1". It will be the same as now, people in Oklahoma don't want vaccines. HPV, shingles, MMR, they want nothing to do with them . And it shows in our morbidity and mortality rating as a state.

All these vaccines are nothing short of modern medical miracles. What could be better than something that prevents an illness before it happens?

I get a flu shot every year, had the two doses for the shingles, got the Covid vax as soon as I possibly could -- drove to Elk City for the first dose and Kingfisher for the 2nd.

There are people in foreign countries who would do anything for this vaccine, yet a huge percentage of Americans won't even take it for free.

This will go down as the dumbest thing to ever happen in modern America.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Hausfrau View Post
    Considering the abysmally low vaccination rate for the current quadrivalent influenza vaccine which is offered free every year, I am pessimistic about a big uptake of this one in Oklahoma. It would still be an annual vaccine. Adding in the RSV and SARS coverage is nice addition but I doubt that the people who never get their flu shot are saying "I'll wait until it covers 4 respiratory viruses instead of just 1". It will be the same as now, people in Oklahoma don't want vaccines. HPV, shingles, MMR, they want nothing to do with them . And it shows in our morbidity and mortality rating as a state.
    Unfortunately, I think you're right, unless there is some cross section of people who both "just haven't gotten around to it" and also get a flu shot every year. But I doubt that's very many people.

Especially because there have been so many people actively displaying a contempt for their fellow citizens, while thinking that makes them a patriot.

The dumbest thing to ever happen in modern America…so far. I’m confident we can eventually outdo ourselves.

All these vaccines are nothing short of modern medical miracles. What could be better than something that prevents an illness before it happens?

I get a flu shot every year, had the two doses for the shingles, got the Covid vax as soon as I possibly could -- drove to Elk City for the first dose and Kingfisher for the 2nd.

There are people in foreign countries who would do anything for this vaccine, yet a huge percentage of Americans won't even take it for free.

Meh, to each his own but I think the “dumbest thing to happen in America” award goes to those who refuse to vaccinate their children against diseases that we’ve nearly eliminated with long running vaccines that have 50+ year proven effectiveness and safety track records. At least the “fear of the unknown” factor due to the lack of that long term track record can be blamed for reluctance to take the COVID vaccines. Resistance to MMR, DTaP, and other long running basic vaccines is completely asinine.

^

The lengths you (and millions of others) are going to in order to justify not doing something completely logical, simple, and free is amazing.

^

The lengths you (and millions of others) are going to in order to justify not doing something completely logical, simple, and free is amazing.
    As you know, I've already had Covid and with the increasing information supporting longer and longer term immunity after infection...I don't really feel the need to justify anything anymore as more and more studies seem to be backing my position on it . As I've said before, my opinion is that if you haven't had it, especially if you're in the high risk category, you absolutely should make the decision to get vaccinated (which is not the view of most of the millions of others that you're lumping me in with). That said, when someone comes out with a booster based on the 10 new variants that seem to develop every other week, I will likely get it.

I'm just saying that out of the large and ever growing pool of things that could be called "the dumbest thing to happen in modern America," I feel the best candidate related to vaccinations would be the massive anti-vax movement against long proven vaccines with excellent long term safety records as at least there is an argument that can be made for the hesitation regarding vaccines that have been around for a year vs 50 plus years. There is not a remotely decent argument against the standard vaccines, flu shot, etc...the fact that people were unwilling to get their children vaccinated and that it has led to the inexplicable resurgence of diseases that have almost been completely eliminated for half a century is to me, far dumber.

^

Except several hundred people are still dying every day in this country, simply because people won't walk across the street and get a miraculous vaccine. Billions of people around the globe wish they could even have access, and due to ridiculous, non-sensical reasons almost half this country is actively avoiding it.

Not even remotely comparable to people not getting a flu shot.

^

Except several hundred people are still dying every day in this country, simply because people won't walk across the street and get a miraculous vaccine. Billions of people around the globe wish they could even have access, and due to ridiculous, non-sensical reasons almost half this country is actively avoiding it.

Not even remotely comparable to people not getting a flu shot.
    You picked, by far, the worst example of the three vaccines that I mentioned by name in my first post (LOL) and I thought "standard vaccines" in my second post was a pretty obvious reference to those and others that are required for school but you are correct, the flu shot is not the best comparison. Though I do think it's stupid not to get a flu shot because of safety concerns.

And I have personally known more people that have seemingly died at random shortly after getting one of the three Covid vaccines (my uncle who was in very good health being one of them) than I do that died from Covid so I don't know that "ridiculous, non-sensical reasons" is necessarily an accurate description or fair dismissal of people's concerns. It's anecdotal and correlation obviously doesn't equal causation...but it doesn't seem completely coincidental either (though I'm sure it likely is given the low number of deaths vs. those I've known who have gotten vaccinated). I know I'm not the only person who has had that experience. No one I know that has decided to hold off on getting vaccinated has done so because they think the boogie man is going to insert a microchip in their arm, because they're too busy screaming 'MERICA in the streets while firing their AR15s, or some other completely ridiculous reason. It's always been some underlying health concern, already having been infected, pregnancy, they know someone who has gotten very ill or died recently after being vaccinated, or something else that seemed like a reasonable concern. I even know a few doctors and nurses that are in that category.

I do trust my friend, who's a Pharmacist and has given out thousands of them and only had one serious reaction, and his opinion is that they are safe and that mRNA vaccines are the future of all vaccinations. The only one he's still a little concerned about is the Johnson & Johnson one.

At any rate, I don't think trivializing people's concerns; treating anyone, who is hesitant about getting one of the vaccines, like they are stupid; or being condescending to them is going to help move the needle. No matter how annoyed the government or anyone else is that some people don't want to get vaccinated, that attitude will only fuel the resistance to it.

^

No matter how you dress it up or rationalize, this is all 99% political and you and everyone else know it.

^

No matter how you dress it up or rationalize, this is all 99% political and you and everyone else know it.
    not surprising if some people want a vaccine to actually have its trials finished and be FDA approved before they take it .. especially if they are healthy or young or both ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    not surprising if some people want a vaccine to actually have its trials finished and be FDA approved before they take it .. especially if they are healthy or young or both ..
    A huge percentage of the same people using that excuse have at the same time been rejecting all the good, hard science coming from the CDC and other government bodies. Now, suddenly and selectively, government approval is vital even though that same body has been providing data that shows the vaccine is incredibly safe.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Aren't the trials long since finished and we have subsequent millions and millions of doses given that further show the safety of the vaccines?

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Aren't the trials long since finished and we have subsequent millions and millions of doses given that further show the safety of the vaccines?
    no the trails have not long since finished ... they last until 2022 and 2023 ..

the military doesn't require this vaccine currently because it is not FDA approved ... one of the vaccines might get FDA approval this fall and at that time the Military may then make it mandatory ..

Thread Information