Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

1. Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

Quote Originally Posted by RYSOONER1 View Post
    Getting our second next week. First is nothing, maybe a slightly sore arm for 24 hours. Second seems to be the one that gets some folks. Have had friends reactions range from sore arm only to fever, body aches, shaking, and extremely tired for 28 hours. It all beats COVID if you're a high risk patient like myself, bring them on!
    I'm scared of where my mind is going to go if I have any symptoms from the shot. On a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being completely asymptomatic to 10 being dead. The first time I had the virus was a 2 with minor after effects. Round 2 was a 6 with much worse after effects. The most severe being tachycardia. My sitting on the couch heart rate used to be in the 70s. Now it's around 90 and a trip to the kitchen or bathroom can get it in the 120s. I'm really scared that Round 3 would be a 9 or 10 and I'm afraid any symptoms will send my imagination to "Oh #%+* I've got it again". I already probably need counseling I'm so paranoid. I check my temperature every hour. Blood pressure, pulse and blood oxygen more often than that.

Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    but really importantly it is 100% effective against death and hospitalization, even against the new strains.
    We have to be careful reading this statement, because their vaccine is 85% effective against severe disease. No one died in their trial as of day 28. As far as the new South African variant, it was only 57% efficacious against moderate to severe covid infection.

I really wish they would’ve included the UK as part of their trial, as I feel that is the new variant that we should be most concerned about at this moment.
    Last edited by soonermike81; 01-30-2021 at 08:26 AM. Reason: last sentence is an opinion

3. Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

N/m

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    We have to be careful reading this statement, because their vaccine is 85% effective against severe disease. No one died in their trial as of day 28. As far as the new South African variant, it was only 57% efficacious against moderate to severe covid infection.

I really wish they would’ve included the UK as part of their trial, as that is the new variant that we should be most concerned about at this moment.
    No, the South African and Brazilian variants are more concerning. Pfizer, Moderna and Novavax all showed lower (but still really good!) effectiveness against the South African strain than the British strain. The British strain’s biggest issue is it’s highly contagious. The South African strain is worrying because it has the highest potential for immune escape.

No, the South African and Brazilian variants are more concerning. Pfizer, Moderna and Novavax all showed lower (but still really good!) effectiveness against the South African strain than the British strain. The British strain’s biggest issue is it’s highly contagious. The South African strain is worrying because it has the highest potential for immune escape.
    Yeah, I don't know enough about all the variants to speak on them. My main point was to be careful in taking your J&J statement at face value. There's more to the efficacy results than it being "100% effective against death and hospitalization."

Yeah, I don't know enough about all the variants to speak on them. My main point was to be careful in taking your J&J statement at face value. There's more to the efficacy results than it being "100% effective against death and hospitalization."
    What I want in a vaccine is something that prevents me from getting intubated or killed as a result of this thing. The J&J vaccine is 100% effective at that. Everything else is just gravy.

What I want in a vaccine is something that prevents me from getting intubated or killed as a result of this thing. The J&J vaccine is 100% effective at that. Everything else is just gravy.
    But can you pick which vaccine you get?

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    But can you pick which vaccine you get?
    Not yet.

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    Not yet.
    That's what I thought, thanks. So it's kinda pointless (maybe not pointless, but not worth my spending any time on) to wonder which one's better since you can't choose.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    That's what I thought, thanks. So it's kinda pointless (maybe not pointless, but not worth my spending any time on) to wonder which one's better since you can't choose.
    Yep. As many health experts have said, the best shot for you now is the one you can get.

Are you a shareholder of J&J??? Because again, you're spinning their results on this forum just like they are spinning it in the news. Let's be honest about it. Their one shot efficacy results were extremely underwhelming. Overall efficacy of 66%, compared to 95% for Pfizer and Moderna and 96% for Novavax, who just happened to release data on Thursday as well. Possible higher efficacy with a 2nd jab is a possibility. So because they realized how poor the results were. To be clear, their vaccine is NOT 100% guaranteed to prevent death. No one died in their trial is what actually happened. Thank god, lol. I don't know if it was what you were trying to do, but I am so tired of the spread of disinformation on the internet.

Are you a shareholder of J&J??? Because again, you're spinning their results on this forum just like they are spinning it in the news. Let's be honest about it. Their one shot efficacy results were extremely underwhelming. Overall efficacy of 66%, compared to 95% for Pfizer and Moderna and 96% for Novavax, who just happened to release data on Thursday as well. Possible higher efficacy with a 2nd jab is a possibility. So because they realized how poor the results were. To be clear, their vaccine is NOT 100% guaranteed to prevent death. No one died in their trial is what actually happened. Thank god, lol. I don't know if it was what you were trying to do, but I am so tired of the spread of disinformation on the internet.
    Have you sold J and J stock short?

Fauci..."What it did do very well is prevent hospitalizations, severe disease and death"

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/fauci-...e-100243013823

It's fantastic we have more options. We need vaccinations in arms around the world ASAP.

Whoa honey, calm down. All I said is that the JNJ vaccine is more than adequate in preventing the worst outcomes of COVID. If you have any data indicating otherwise I would genuinely like to see it because I definitely do not want to help spread misinformation. However there is nothing I have seen that contradicts anything I said.

It may well be that if Pfizer and Moderna conducted their Phase III trials in the same timeframe as NovaVax and JNJ, they would come up with similar efficacy results. Reading between the lines, it seems fairly likely that we're going to need an updated vaccine/booster shot within the next year to deal with the new variants given that the South African and Brazilian variants are already causing a notable decrease in efficacy and there will certainly be more variants on the way given how viruses evolve. Fortunately there are already multiple companies beginning work on this, and the approval process for these should be much quicker than the original vaccines - more akin to the approval process that takes place for the yearly tweaks to the flu shot. Even better, all of the vaccines still seem to be very good at preventing severe disease and death across the board - while they may not be as good at preventing infection from some of the variants, it appears that most infections are of minor severity. Put it all together and while the variants are concerning and may delay an ultimate return to a true, pre-COVID sense of normalcy, I'd still be stunned if things aren't much, much better by this summer or fall. More than anything else at this point I'm just hoping to see positive developments in terms of worldwide vaccine equity, both because it's a morally just policy, and also because without it I don't see how we break the cycle we're currently in of new variants that risk immune escape.

If the Johnson & Johnson vaccine was the first one we'd got it still would have been a medical miracle. Yes, everyone here is correct to first and foremost point out that their vaccine very likely staves off the worst results—serious illness and death. The public has been caught up in some of the details and thus underselling the vaccines. Having said that, yes, there are important details that we should care about. But, as others have said, the best vaccine right now is one you can get. I would gladly take the J&J vaccine once it's approved.

Got my Moderna vaccine today. It was a breeze. It has been about 4 hours and no major reactions. Slightly sore arm, but only if I think about it. I got a tetanus shot about this time last year, and that reaction was much more intense than this. That was pretty mild too as it felt like I got punched or took a baseball to my arm for about an hour. So far so good!

What a relief - a tangible event that points towards the end of this. In about 45 days I should have the full effect of the vaccine, so knowing mid march I can feel safer going out to work, restaurants, etc. Maybe I can go back to Oklahoma and see family later next month. Even though they all pretty much refuse any vaccine and all precautions, at least I will be mostly protected. That's on them to refuse.

About 11 hours in now. Arm is VERY sore, but no other side effects such as fatigue. Definitely feels like I was hit by a fastball right into my left shoulder.

^^^
    Congrats! A lot of us have really sacrificed during this pandemic. I hope you're celebrating this milestone tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    ^^^
    Congrats! A lot of us have really sacrificed during this pandemic. I hope you're celebrating this milestone tonight.
    Staying inside with a 6-pack of Voodoo Ranger Juicy Haze IPA, pups are having some fresh chew-treats. Big party! I will be honest, it was extremely tempting to possibly go out for a beer or two. But I had to remind myself that very few people have had the vaccine, and just because I got it today doesn't mean anything. Still need at least a month to get to 80% efficacy and another shot + 14 days to get to the published 94%. Too soon to go out for me! It's been a long 12 months for everyone, I am hopeful distribution can get ramped up and we can get this over with. I can't even imagine what life was like before this, now. Sit elbow to elbow with a stranger, in a cramped bar? What?!

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    About 11 hours in now. Arm is VERY sore, but no other side effects such as fatigue. Definitely feels like I was hit by a fastball right into my left shoulder.
    When I got my vaccine the nurse suggested I use my dominate arm. Said the more you use it the less impact as far as pain goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I'm really looking forward to getting mine. I just have to get mentally prepared that there could be a few hours of COVID like symptoms and that it's OK.
    I received the first dose of the Moderna vaccine early Monday afternoon and have had zero side-effects. I'm in the high risk population, having several comorbidities, but I don't know if that impacts side-effects from the vaccine.

I will say the vaccination process was the most stressful thing I've encountered since all of this started. They did a good job with social distancing but it's the first time since March that I've been in such close proximity with so many people for such a long period of time.

23. Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

Not that it matters a great deal. Just wondering. Do the vaccinated numbers posted by OSDH include vaccinations done directly by the Fed Govt like tribal hospitals, VAs and Fed Employees? It wouldn't change the totals a lot. Just curious.

8 COVID-19 Vaccine Myths People Need To Stop Believing

Most of us on here are pretty sensible, but please pass this on to anybody who says they're not going to get vaccinated.

25. Default Re: Covid-19 Vaccine Information

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Not that it matters a great deal. Just wondering. Do the vaccinated numbers posted by OSDH include vaccinations done directly by the Fed Govt like tribal hospitals, VAs and Fed Employees? It wouldn't change the totals a lot. Just curious.
    I couldn't find that out. The weekly report just says it does not include the 97k that CVS and Walgreens have.

Thread Information