Widgets Magazine

Thread: January 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Weather January 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Clouds will continue to decrease for the rest of the day, and a gradual warming trend will commence over the next few days until a weak low passes by to the north on Wednesday and ushers in a slightly cooler airmass. In general, highs will be in the 40's and 50's over the next week, lows will be in the 20's and 30's, and there will be little to no precipitation, with the best chance being some light rain accompanying the low on Wednesday. Pretty standard weather for the beginning of January.

Default Re: January 2021 - General Weather Discussion

What is the word on this weekend? Any chance of snow/freezing rain on Saturday or Sunday? Got a kid wanting to drive to Springfield, MO

3. Default Re: January 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    What is the word on this weekend? Any chance of snow/freezing rain on Saturday or Sunday? Got a kid wanting to drive to Springfield, MO
    GFS shows a system around the OK/MO border on Sunday. Shows total snow of less than an inch. Doesn't show anything frozen but snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    GFS shows a system around the OK/MO border on Sunday. Shows total snow of less than an inch. Doesn't show anything frozen but snow.
    Thank you

Cold temperatures will continue through the weekend and into next week. There is a low coming through Saturday into Sunday, but at this time it looks like the main action will surprisingly be along the Red River and into N TX. Will monitor track for northern movement.

Big time snow storm happening currently in west and central Texas. Biggest they’ve had in over a decade

Milder weather building in the next week (or two). Looks like potential for colder weather near the EOM. No real solid precipitation chances showing up.

8. Default Re: January 2021 - General Weather Discussion

I'm sure liking the GFS total snow through Jan 27. None, nada, zero, zilch!! I know. Long range will change. A lot possibly. But I can dream.

High fire danger today with 20-30 mph N winds.

Weekend looks decent with lighter winds and highs near 50. Monday looks the best.

Will watch precipitation chances potentially coming in mid to late next week.

10. Default Re: January 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Since my responsibilities at work include keeping a very large area snow and ice free I kinda obsess over GFS, NAM and other models this time of year. Venture pointed out to me while he was here that certain models trend certain ways. For instance the "Total Snowfall" between now and the end of the month is 8 to 10 inches in the metro but only on the 06Z GFS runs. All three other GFS runs show almost zero snow in all of OK and even much of KS and even a bit of eastern CO. I just have to not look at the 06Z run.

Been a boring January so far. Maybe finally some decent rain chances coming in to main part of OK Sunday into Monday. Will bring colder air in with it for next week.

This coming weekend looks great with continued highs near 50, but staying mostly cloudy.

Sunday evening into Monday:

13. Default Re: January 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Seems a very active southern west-coast pineapple express is setting up? Could be an active couple of weeks ahead.

Should be a line of elevated storms rolling through the Metro between 1 a.m. and 3 a.m. tonight. Isolated severe hail appears possible.

15. Default Re: January 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Odd weather..... snow in Malibu, ice in the Sahara in Algeria.

https://www.livescience.com/sahara-d...ul-photos.html

From my experience isn’t all that unusually for places in Malibu to get trace snow in the mountains though this is the first time I recall seeing snow at Malibu Canyon and Mulholland. I have on several different occasions in my five years of living here seen trace snow along the higher elevations of CA 23 between PCH and the 101.

Extreme fire danger today.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    From my experience isn’t all that unusually for places in Malibu to get trace snow in the mountains though this is the first time I recall seeing snow at Malibu Canyon and Mulholland. I have on several different occasions in my five years of living here seen trace snow along the higher elevations of CA 23 between PCH and the 101.
    Malibu only goes less than a half a mile inland; there are no mountains in Malibu, just some bluffs overlooking the ocean. I know, I lived there. There are higher elevations well inland and I've seen snow there several times, even though it didn't last a day; but that's not Malibu.

Malibu Canyon frequently gets below freezing. I used to commute from Malibu to Woodland Hills through the canyon every day.

The thunderstorms on saturday morning got me pretty excited for spring. I love those dark stormy mornings with that warm humid air that smells like fresh rain. Gah! My favorite time of year is APPROACHING!!! We just have to get through arguably our worst month of weather...

20. Default Re: January 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    The thunderstorms on saturday morning got me pretty excited for spring. I love those dark stormy mornings with that warm humid air that smells like fresh rain. Gah! My favorite time of year is APPROACHING!!! We just have to get through arguably our worst month of weather...
    The 12th best month of the year, February.

21. Default Re: January 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I agree. And it follows the 11th best month, January.

22. Default Re: January 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Cuz football is pretty much over, March madness hasn't started and baseball is months off??

23. Default Re: January 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Cuz football is pretty much over, March madness hasn't started and baseball is months off??
    Crappy weather and nothing to look forward too. My SAD always peaks in February. I have gotten better over the years fighting it. One of those months I realize I wouldn't do well in a colder climate....

24. Default Re: January 2021 - General Weather Discussion

Since today is Groundhog Day I'll ask something I've often wondered. Isn't seeing his shadow meaning 6 more weeks of winter backwards. I would think a sunny day would be a good thing, an early spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Since today is Groundhog Day I'll ask something I've often wondered. Isn't seeing his shadow meaning 6 more weeks of winter backwards. I would think a sunny day would be a good thing, an early spring.
    except that he could see his shadow today and we might see our record lows for the winter this weekend

the reasoning for that is the thought that if it is warm on the first of February, it's because the last push of polar air hasn't hit yet. if it is cold and cloudy, then there is a good chance that it has. atleast that is what i was told once by a science teacher back many years ago.

Thread Information