Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 18 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Convergence (formerly Innovation Plaza)

Northeast OKC Convergence (formerly Innovation Plaza)

Press release:

New Development for Cross-Sector Innovation and Advanced Technology Collaboration in Oklahoma City Innovation District
    December 22, 2020

OKLAHOMA CITY--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Groundbreaking for a mixed-use development focused on collaborative innovation in Oklahoma City’s Innovation District is set to begin in late 2021. Leading commercial real estate developers Richard Tanenbaum, Gardner Tanenbaum, and Mark Beffort, Robinson Park Investments, have joined forces to develop the complex. They secured 2.7 acres of land near NE 8th Street and I-235 on December 22nd, 2020.

“The University of Oklahoma is thrilled to be the educational partner for this transformative expansion in the Innovation District”

The focus of the project is to build an environment that promotes cross-sector collaboration among Oklahoma’s key industries, including aviation, aerospace, bioscience, and energy. More than 400,000 sq. ft. of facilities will feature shared technology for 3D imaging and printing, in addition to biomedical research and laboratories.

“In OKC we’re no stranger to big ambition. We’re honored to work alongside our city leaders to build on OKC’s reputation as a front-runner in national innovation. The foundation of this project is inclusion, diversity, growth, and opportunity for all Oklahomans,” said Mark Beffort, Robinson Park Investments CEO.

Mayor David Holt, City Manager Craig Freeman, and Ward 7 Councilwoman Nicky Nice have been briefed on the project.

Designed by FSB Architects, the 400,000 sq. ft., pedestrian-centric layout features research labs and office space, a hotel, retail space, and a public realm providing an open-air community environment. A key feature of the project is the proposed MAPS 4 funded Innovation Hall, a central place where activities to grow Oklahoma City’s innovation economy can be facilitated.

“FSB is honored to celebrate this historic announcement today for Oklahoma City’s emerging Innovation District,” said Ryan Dawson, FSB Associate Principal. “This world-class showcase for innovation is an economic win for OKC that will further enhance collaboration between industries, academia, business and public sectors. FSB is a proud partner with Gardner Tanenbaum and Robinson Park Investments to help bring together all community groups, and make this dream a reality. We are passionate about innovation in Oklahoma City and are committed to helping lead the way.”

The University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma Medical Research Foundation (OMRF) are supporters of the project. The University of Oklahoma is committed as an educational and research partner.

“The University of Oklahoma is thrilled to be the educational partner for this transformative expansion in the Innovation District,” said OU President Joseph Harroz Jr. “The project affords tremendous opportunity for OU to further grow our life-changing research in the areas of bio-technology, aerospace and defense, advanced manufacturing and more. We’re eager to see how this critical partnership will enable us to extend our work in harnessing innovation and pathbreaking discoveries for the betterment of Oklahoma and beyond.”

“Oklahoma City has been building momentum in the biotechnology arena, and this project represents an important step forward as we seek to create collaboration between this and other emerging technology sectors in our city,” said OMRF President Stephen Prescott, M.D. “With OMRF’s track record of successfully spinning off start-up companies, we recognize a great opportunity when we see one. This new space will catalyze cross-pollination and innovation, as well as fuel the development of top-notch researchers and scientists in our community. We’re excited to join in this effort and follow the new paths it blazes.”

Wheeler Labs, the first portfolio company of Echo Investment Capital’s venture capital fund in biotech, is planned to be the anchor tenant. Wheeler Labs is a clinical laboratory developing high-complexity diagnostic services with expansionary plans into the bio-manufacturing industry.

“When Wheeler Labs was offered a position as an anchor tenant we committed on the spot. Uniting the health science corridor with downtown is exactly what our community needs. We can offer a compelling proposition to Pharma and Healthcare companies by offering the highest quality, lowest cost pathways to discover new medicine. We’ve yet to speak with an investor, scientist, or venture capitalist who’s not interested in collaboration once they’ve heard the story,” said Christian Kanady, local energy entrepreneur and founder of Echo Investment Capital.

The Oklahoma City Innovation District encompasses 1.3 square miles east of downtown. Along with this project, the District is projected to provide more than 6,000 jobs over the next three to five years.

“The Innovation District is designed to be an epicenter for collaboration, innovation, opportunity, and economic growth. We convene divergent industries to create opportunities for next-level innovation. Researchers, entrepreneurs, and big-thinkers all converge here in a collaborative environment. This state-of-the-art development will position our city as a leading competitor for new companies, jobs and talent in a global economy,” said Katy Evans Boren, Innovation District CEO.

The joint effort between Oklahoma City’s leading commercial developers Richard Tanenbaum and Mark Beffort marks a significant partnership, each with a portfolio that spans the nation.

This project ushers in a new era for our ever-growing city. Researchers, engineers, universities and industry leaders are pioneering Oklahoma-born advances in bioscience, aerospace, energy and health. We’ve matched that trailblazing spirit to develop, design, and build the environment for technological collaboration. We’ve established the equivalent of a high-performance sports team, and the MVP’s are front and center. I’m proud to work alongside the partners and supporters of this project to develop a space where innovators can dream in a diverse environment, share ideas across industry boundaries, and cultivate cross-sector relationships. It’s a breeding ground where revolutionary ideas can flourish, and I’m proud to be a part of it.” said Richard Tanenbaum, Gardner Tanenbaum CEO

For access to a video rendering and downloadable images for this Innovation District Development, click here.

About Gardner Tanenbaum

Gardner Tanenbaum is a privately-held, full-service real estate development firm based in Oklahoma City. Backed by more than 60 years of experience, the Gardner Tanenbaum portfolio includes more than 7 million square feet of commercial, industrial, and multi-family property. With strong leadership and a diversified portfolio, Gardner Tanenbaum cultivates Class A properties with long-term value for their clients and the communities they serve.

About Robinson Park Investments

Robinson Park Investments is a full-service, national commercial real estate firm headquartered in Oklahoma City. The Robinson Park Investments portfolio includes more than 12 million square feet of office, medical, multi-family housing, hospitality, and parking with a market value greater than $2 billion. With roots that date back more than a century, Robinson Park Investments is committed to building community through asset management, property development and philanthropy.

Default Re: Innovation Plaza

Is that building shown what will be built per the late 2021 groundbreaking?

This is the property.

Looks like they bought some of it from Baker Hughes and the part to the east of the circle from the OK Dept. of Commerce:

The building in the center of the 2nd photo (with the yellow balcony) is a proposed hotel/convention center:

WOW! That looks awesome and great for OKC!

This is amazing but I also feel like I shouldn’t get my hopes up after Oak and Chisholm Creek Phase 2. What are the chances this one actually happens?

8. Default Re: Innovation Plaza

This is amazing! I really hope this is built.

Quote Originally Posted by mgharfeh View Post
    This is amazing but I also feel like I shouldn’t get my hopes up after Oak and Chisholm Creek Phase 2. What are the chances this one actually happens?
    Beffort has a pretty good track record. But I definitely wouldn't say get your hopes up who knows what happens in the coming year.

10. Default Re: Innovation Plaza

Damn, what news did I miss on these projects?

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    Nothing. They have just been slow to happen.

What are you talking about? Those projects are still happening they are just huge undertakings and new to Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    Nothing firm that I've seen. OAK definitely on hold and master plan may have to change. Same with Chisolm Creek though I think that's definitely more likely to happen, just a question of when and what level of tenants they bring in.

It seem like lease based Real Estate is in a pretty tenuous spot at the moment - between eviction moratoriums and retail/restaurant businesses hanging on for dear life, I don't think anyone is in a hurry to create projects largely dependent on those market segments.

It will be interesting to see if this exciting rendering steadily gets wacked down to the basics.

Blog Entries

- Nice use of an awkward space that would be easy to give up on
    - Excellent incorporation of an existing landmark
    - Death to a surface parking lot
    - Lots of outdoor space (wonder if life in covid times impacted design)
    - Additional public art
    - Fantastic views from the upper levels

lots of win here seems like. if only you could walk or ride there comfortably. closest option transit wise is getting off the 18 at 8th/Lincoln and walking (there are at least sidewalks from there).

HangryHippo Guest

Delete

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    It’s likely not a matter of if. Which will suck, because those renderings look awesome.
    Why do you say that?

HangryHippo Guest

I was being cynical. My bad.

If built, this is a game changer. We always talk about economic diversification and attracting 21st century industry to OKC (at least I do). Innovation districts work in other places and this represents a significant step forward. Love it!

More renderings:

21. Default Re: Innovation Plaza

As an aside, incorporated in the design as a plaza is Stiles Park - which is inside the circle and which for the past couple of decades has featured Rand Elliott’s “Beacon of Hope” - the oldest city park in Oklahoma City and likely the oldest city park in Oklahoma.

The land for Stiles Park was donated to the City by Captain David Stiles, who commanded the company of US Army soldiers stationed in OKC immediately after the run of 1889 to keep the peace among settlers until the formation of OKC’s municipal government took shape.

After retirement Captain Stiles bought land himself and became one of the very first real estate developers in the city, as developer of the Maywood District.

You can read about it on the City’s website

HangryHippo Guest

Urbanized - it’s GREAT to see you post! I’ve missed your contributions.

23. Default Re: Innovation Plaza

You’re too kind...thank you. The past couple of years have been pretty hectic for me and I had to severely cut back on timesucks haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    You’re too kind...thank you. The past couple of years have been pretty hectic for me and I had to severely cut back on timesucks haha.
    Well, aren't *you* important!

(good to 'see' you)

That's a different design for the area around the Beacon of Hope in the more recent renderings compared to the first few, a plaza instead of a water feature.

Given the history that Urbanized (welcome back!) posted, it might be nice if instead they kept it as a green space.

Thread Information