Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Convergence (formerly Innovation Plaza)

Default Re: Convergence (formerly Innovation Plaza)

Construction has started at Convergence.

It's a bit hard to see but there are tons of utility markings all over the property and a permit was filed to place a construction trailer.

It's pretty amazing how fast this is moving.

awesome thanks pete

Nice, I was wondering about this project. Good to see if finally breaking ground!

are they still going to put a cap over I-235?

How many vehicles do you think we could fit under a highway cap during severe weather and plug up the interstate? Joking aside, the cap the City of Dallas did over Woodall Rogers Freeway is absolutely incredible.

Is the exhibition hall still included in this project Pete?

Quote Originally Posted by AlvarezK View Post
    Is the exhibition hall still included in this project Pete?
    Yes, but funded through MAPS as a separate development.

Blog Entries

If we're talking about the same thing, the hall is part of MAPS 4 and so will be required to get done.

(sorry we posted at the same time it looks like)

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    are they still going to put a cap over I-235?
    i believe just a small expansion of the 10th street bridge with paths and parks on each side .. .

someone please correct me if i am incorrect

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    i believe just a small expansion of the 10th street bridge with paths and parks on each side .. .
    Yes, this is the latest plan:

That park space as pictured reminds me a little bit of the High Line in NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    That park space as pictured reminds me a little bit of the High Line in NYC.
    I had the exact same thought. Obviously way smaller, but would be a much-welcomed change. That is separate from the Convergence project though, right?

I wish I was 21 instead of 46 so I could see what OKC will be like in 40 years

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    I had the exact same thought. Obviously way smaller, but would be a much-welcomed change. That is separate from the Convergence project though, right?
    Yes, separate.

So this article is next to worthless but it mentions how Stiles Park(a park I’ve never heard of) is the oldest park in OKC and was built before the state of Oklahoma was even an official state. A search on Google takes me to where the picture above is located, The Beacon Hope. Assuming all of these things to be true, if anyone more knowledgeable than me can chime in, selling the oldest park in the city to a private developer doesn’t seem like the best move.

Here’s some world class journalism:

OKLAHOMA CITY —
    The Oklahoma City Council debated selling the city’s oldest park at a meeting.

Stiles Park in northeast Oklahoma City is the city’s oldest park and has been around since before statehood.

Though it’s not exactly a park, with walking trails or swings and slides, it is public land.

On Tuesday, the OKC City Council voted whether to hand the land over to a private developer. The private company, BT Development, has an idea of what it will look like and with all of this unfolding, in what is called, the innovation district.
    https://www.koco.com/article/oklahom...-park/39959695

Edit:

Well it looks like they did sell it. Not sure about anyone else but it seems like to me keeping the oldest park in the city in the hands of the city is a no brainer but I guess not.

The Council also approved the sale of Oklahoma City’s oldest public park to a private developer. Stiles Park, established in 1901, will now be sold to BT Development, LLC who is building a hotel and “innovation center” around the site in the so-called Innovation District on Oklahoma City’s near-Northeast side.
    More information here: https://freepressokc.com/council-app...t-public-park/

Having been to that park several times for Pokémon Go related reasons, in my opinion it's largely useless as a park compared to every other park in the city that I am aware of and have spent time in. It's a postage stamp that these days serves no meaningful purpose other than containing the Beacon of Hope and associated lighting fixtures.

It's literally just this circle of grass around the Beacon:

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes, this is the latest plan:

I will be obscenely happy if the ultimate project looks anything close to this lush rendering. Trying to withhold my deeply ingrained skepticism based on years of following this forum. Renders with verdant trees and landscaping in them often end up quite barren in the end in OKC.

Why would all those people hang out on the side of a highway between a 5 lane road? Lol. I am not at all against the landscaping, but no one is walking on those multicolored sidewalks to the edge of that bridge over the highway. Hopefully will use it as a pedestrian route though.

Because of a bus mishap I ended up there and had to walk downtown. It really was not difficult, but this will make it pleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I will be obscenely happy if the ultimate project looks anything close to this lush rendering. Trying to withhold my deeply ingrained skepticism based on years of following this forum. Renders with verdant trees and landscaping in them often end up quite barren in the end in OKC.
    This proposal is already disappointing and you’re worried it could be worse!? Lol OKC needs to get a grip. Seriously this needs to be rethought. An entire park cap could be more feasible now with the recent infrastructure funds for projects like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Why would all those people hang out on the side of a highway between a 5 lane road? Lol. I am not at all against the landscaping, but no one is walking on those multicolored sidewalks to the edge of that bridge over the highway. Hopefully will use it as a pedestrian route though.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    The noise would be so much that yes, it'd be ridiculous for any pedestrian to stay on that bridge for any longer than absolutely necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    The noise would be so much that yes, it'd be ridiculous for any pedestrian to stay on that bridge for any longer than absolutely necessary.
    When I lived in Seattle I would walk from my apartment in the Capitol Hill neighborhood to downtown crossing over I-5 and at first I thought it was noisy during the day but after a few months I never noticed the noise from the traffic.

I was so use to living in the city center every time I would go camping the silence was almost to much I was so use to urban noise.

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    When I lived in Seattle I would walk from my apartment in the Capitol Hill neighborhood to downtown crossing over I-5 and at first I thought it was noisy during the day but after a few months I never noticed the noise from the traffic....
    Right, that's pretty much what we're saying - it's going to be a pedestrian crossing, but not a place where anybody does anything other than walk across it to get from one side to the other.

Thread Information