Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Steak the Experience

1. Default Re: Steak the Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I know you have always been ethical, and that's why so many people here are interested in your viewpoint.

The state of food writers in OKC is absolutely deplorable. Yet another horrendously unethical area of journalism where the Oklahoman has had tremendous influence.
    I agree.... Once Tim shut down EatAroundOKC any kind of objective food info here went out the window.

I only ever got a handful of invites when I was writing and I only accepted one and that was because I knew Butcher BBQ was going to be amazing and they knew who I was from competitions..... A certain BBQ place in the news recently tried to get me to come to their southside soft opening but I declined that one and I had a few offer to give me free food if I would come back and amend my review but I wouldn't do that.

Although I did go back to a few, anonymously, and update reviews based on better experiences.

And I think Zach at Edge Craft was the only one who ever broke my anonymity because I mentioned a whiskey I had at Maple's on a thread here and he had served it to me.

Default Re: Steak the Experience

Food writers in the Metro need to go read Ruth Reichl (restaurant critic for LA and NY Times, etc.) regaling her escapades maintaining anonymity and objectivity if they want to do the job right.

A restaurant owner once showed me an email he received from a local food writer who was absolutely apoplectic over having to pay *half price* for his elaborate meal.

After seeing a few of these people at free soft openings ordering half the menu and scores of drinks like some sort of Roman Emperor, I soon realized I should never be accepting anything free or even discounted.

Since then when I get invited I always say, "I'd like to arrive a few minutes early, take photos of the space and then return after you have opened to the public where I'll be happy to spend my own money."

4. Default Re: Steak the Experience

After seeing a few of these people at free soft openings ordering half the menu and scores of drinks like some sort of Roman Emperor, I soon realized I should never be accepting anything free or even discounted.
    Yeah..... I kind of felt awkward when the Bouskas invited me to their soft opening but since I was writing about it I felt I should try everything.... But they had a donation jar out for a charity they were supporting and I dropped a hefty donation in it.... So I at least felt justified in taking what I did whether I was or not.

I know you have always been ethical, and that's why so many people here are interested in your viewpoint.

The state of food writers in OKC is absolutely deplorable. Yet another horrendously unethical area of journalism where the Oklahoman has had tremendous influence.
    The writer that you had while the Gazette was under your ownership was probably the best I've seen here in OKC - Jacob Threadgill, very objective and knowledgeable, not sure whether or not he got free food, but his reviews were the first thing I read in the Gazette.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    The writer that you had while the Gazette was under your ownership was probably the best I've seen here in OKC - Jacob Threadgill, very objective and knowledgeable, not sure whether or not he got free food, but his reviews were the first thing I read in the Gazette.
    We paid Jacob's expenses when he did reviews. He didn't notify any business before or while there and didn't spend half his time palling around with a few local chefs and restaurant owners, then covering them to the exclusion of the thousands of other restaurants in this town.

He always included a few items under a gently worded "needs work" heading and you'd think he had murdered puppies. Just goes to show how conditioned this market is to the constant stream of everything-is-great-all-the-time-everywhere food articles.

What is it about Steak the Experience that drives all the negative comments?

Seems that restaurants generally draw a lot of petty sniping, but this one seems to be over the top in negativity. Especially since it seems to come from people who freely admit they have not been in there.

8. Default Re: Steak the Experience

Seems to me all the Karens are on yelp. Facebook is too easy to manipulate. I'd say the google rating is probably the most accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    Seems to me all the Karens are on yelp. Facebook is too easy to manipulate. I'd say the google rating is probably the most accurate.
    I just looked at the Google reviews and they are heavily padded by the owner and his staff.

They did the same thing on Yelp but those were removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    What is it about Steak the Experience that drives all the negative comments?

Seems that restaurants generally draw a lot of petty sniping, but this one seems to be over the top in negativity. Especially since it seems to come from people who freely admit they have not been in there.
    I have a family member who went there a couple of weeks ago. I would describe them as being pretty open-minded and laid back but they said it was a disappointing experience. They said the food itself was fine, but for the price you're paying, you would expect a little better than that. The singer for the live music was also distractingly off key the whole time (Which I think was more funny than anything else). Not exactly the restaurant's fault but it can take away from the experience for some. Also, their server was apparently very nice but just not very knowledgeable. As an example, she was asked if a certain cut of meat was Chateaubriand and she said "oh all of our steaks are Chateaubriand!"

For a lot of restaurants, these would be excusable things, but when you're paying for a nice, pricier steak dinner, there's a certain level of service and dining experience to be expected and frankly, if you don't meet the bar, there are just too many other better places to go, including one that is literally right across the street from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    I mean in this thread. I think this is the most "crapped on by those who have not been there" establishment I have ever seen on OKC Talk.

A couple of quick points about 'food critics' in this town.

They are all very cozy with a handful of owners and chefs and that's who they tend to cover. They also take tons of free food and drinks without ever disclosing that fact. It's incredibly unethical.

In other cities, serious food writers make reservations under assumed names and go out of their way not to call attention to themselves or get special treatment from chefs and waitstaff. And for obvious reasons: they want to have a typical dining experience and also have a duty to be as objective as possible.

Even though I do not consider myself a food critic, I get invited to soft openings and other free events virtually every week. I've completely stopped accepting anything free and will wait until the place is open for business, then I go spend my own money to support them.

This is the exact opposite of what is done at the Oklahoman, 405 and the legions of 'influencers' with blogs and social media accounts.

As a result, we have almost no legitimate food writers in this city, and that's a shame.
    I'd consider myself a low-key critic. I try not to publicize my opinions, but will gladly share when asked. Places I frequent have asked that I write a lot, but I refuse to at the risk of being like the above mentioned. In addition, I'd be ripping like 80% of the places.

I do however entertain the idea of creating content where I go into a place I know I won't like on purpose, pay for my own meal, and rip the place.

Steak the Experience is losing its executive chef.

Jonas Favela recently posted that he is leaving as of August 6th. Jonas was formerly the EC at Flint and Boulevard Steakhouse.

I saw that last night, didn't sound like he would be staying with the group. I didn't figure it would last all that long, he's too talented IMO.

It's hard to imagine they'll be able to find a replacement on par with Jonas.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Libbymin View Post
    Also, their server was apparently very nice but just not very knowledgeable. As an example, she was asked if a certain cut of meat was Chateaubriand and she said "oh all of our steaks are Chateaubriand!" of.
    Technically, it could refer to the original meaning which was a method of preparation and not the cut. Probably not, but there is more than one definition.

Permanently closed as of 10/29.

I called the 6 mo's - year tops back on 2/20 in this thread

I'm not sure I've seen so many restaurants open & close as quickly as all the Rodgers concepts. I would never be dumb enough to invest with him but good grief we're talking multi millions pretty much just flushed away. Idiot.

18. Default Re: Steak the Experience

I guess I will continue to experience my steak at The Ranch and Mahogany, pun intended.

Went to Bobs in the Omni too. Was really good as well. Mahogany is always a favorite!!

OU Re: Steak the Experience

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRealtor View Post
    I called the 6 mo's - year tops back on 2/20 in this thread

I'm not sure I've seen so many restaurants open & close as quickly as all the Rodgers concepts. I would never be dumb enough to invest with him but good grief we're talking multi millions pretty much just flushed away. Idiot.
    that Rodgers guy has scammed and stiffed every single one of his partners and investors. Lawsuits IRS and OTC are all over him so its only a matter of time before it all comes out Im sure. Its all over oscn and public info. bad news

Looks like interior demo has been going on for a week or so. Three large roll-off dumpsters in the parking lot. Work is so coarse grade that they have removed a window to facilitate speed and size.

What a failure of concept and execution. Opened just over a year ago; closed in less than six months; contents written off and scrapped in another six months. The time period from beginning to end on this is so quick that it might have taken longer to burn each dollar bill spent on this individually.

^

It was a cheap build-out.

They merely spray-painted the drop ceiling black, used painted wood as a bar top, and kept the lights low so you couldn't see the cheapness.

No surprise it's all being trashed.

Very curious about what is going in there, but it's The Village so no way to look up the permits.

In the Swadley's thread someone said they saw a Swadley's truck there.

Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    In the Swadley's thread someone said they saw a Swadley's truck there.
    Seems like an odd type of location for a Swadley's. Possible truck was delivering catering for workers.

Berating their customer's on the reviews didn't help. Their mashed potatoes looked like something from a box.

Thread Information