Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Steak the Experience

1. Default Re: Steak the Experience

As in real estate you have one chance to make a first impression. At least take some professional pictures of the food and not from your cell phone...

Default Re: Steak the Experience

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	steak.jpg 
Views:	457 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	17273

Their pricing is similar, if not more expensive overall, than the Ranch. Not surprised by that, but will be very interested to see how this place does.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post

Their pricing is similar, if not more expensive overall, than the Ranch. Not surprised by that, but will be very interested to see how this place does.
    Given the pricing, there is no chance I'll step foot in that place unless someone I trust say's it blows the Ranch away. I see no way this place is remotely successful, it's almost like they are hoping the people who cant get a reservation at the Ranch are going to fall back on them. But paying more per ounce with a very limited menu is not going to cut it. $12 for what looked like boxed mashed potatoes is just one example of the massive hill they will have to climb by not taking professional photos of their food for their media dump.

What is the show they refer to with Dinner & A Show?

Quote Originally Posted by barrettd View Post
    What is the show they refer to with Dinner & A Show?
    I've never seen that answered, here or on Facebook.

I believe it will be nightclub-like entertainment; lounge singer type of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post

Menu looks good IMO but I'm not going to pay that much for dinner in a place that looks like that... I'd rather it be a hole in the wall with some charm than something from 2000s Bricktown...

Also interesting that the menu shows sides al a carte but their pictures showed them plated...shows how half assed those pics were.

Pretty underwhelming. Typo on menu shows lack of attention to detail (Termidor instead of thermidor) I personally do not care for Wagyu and prefer a prime strip cut which has never been a problem at a steak place. This is a very limited steak menu for a place that bills itself as a steak place

Quote Originally Posted by Mballard85 View Post
    Those powdered mashed potatoes are doing their best
    Those photos don't look very good at all. Hopefully this doesn't represent what they have at their restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    Those photos don't look very good at all. Hopefully this doesn't represent what they have at their restaurant.
    What is worse is the fact it is Aussie and American Wagyu. I haven't had wagyu from outside of Japan that hasn't been underwhelming compared to the real deal Japanese import. The marbling is worlds apart and the finished product has often been closer to USDA choice than USDA prime. Once or twice a year I will happily splurge on 7-8 oz of some good A5 Wagyu from Mickey's or Vast. I will eat USDA Prime steaks over domestic or Australian "wagyu." Like I have said before this place is going to be a ****ing disaster.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Pretty underwhelming. Typo on menu shows lack of attention to detail (Termidor instead of thermidor)
    Termidor is an incecticide used to kill termites

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    What is worse is the fact it is Aussie and American Wagyu. I haven't had wagyu from outside of Japan that hasn't been underwhelming compared to the real deal Japanese import. The marbling is worlds apart and the finished product has often been closer to USDA choice than USDA prime. Once or twice a year I will happily splurge on 7-8 oz of some good A5 Wagyu from Mickey's or Vast. I will eat USDA Prime steaks over domestic or Australian "wagyu." Like I have said before this place is going to be a ****ing disaster.
    Good catch...Prime is better too IMO, especially for the $.

12. Default Re: Steak the Experience

Wow! I occasionally eat at a Denver Steakhouse but that menu is priced sky high! Good luck!

13. Default Re: Steak the Experience

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    lol ... that appetizing oily thumbprint on the right side of the plate with the crab cakes ...

Quote Originally Posted by citywokchinesefood View Post
    I am confused and IIRC there has been a history of misleading advertisement about wagyu. This the pic they have posted of their certificate says Japanese A5. Can they still say Japanese A5 if coming from US or Australia? Of course the tattooed fingers really set the picture off https://www.facebook.com/steaktheexp...28817356278344

Imagine trying to get into the Ranch and then having to settle for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    I am confused and IIRC there has been a history of misleading advertisement about wagyu. This the pic they have posted of their certificate says Japanese A5. Can they still say Japanese A5 if coming from US or Australia? Of course the tattooed fingers really set the picture off https://www.facebook.com/steaktheexp...28817356278344
    Most likely they imported an A5 Strip or Ribeye that they will keep frozen and cut off portions priced by the ounce off menu. The certificate they posted is 100% authentic, they do not list that beef on the menu. Most likely it will be a verbal sell for the servers at $20-25/oz with a minimum. This is pretty typical for steakhouses in Oklahoma. When it comes down to it Wagyu really just means beef in japanese. It comes down to the prefecture they source from and the grade of the beef. The American and Australian ranchers that "Steak THE EXPERIENCE" are sourcing from just use Wagyu because it is simpler and more marketable to call it that instead of explaining that the cows are actually a Black Angus/Wagyu hybrid or whatever they crossed to breed their herd.

This talk of Wagyu has me thinking - what would be the best actual steak experience here in OKC? We've eaten at Red Prime, Mahogany, Cattlemen's, had some steaks at a few other places - some really good experiences, but nothing really outstanding that makes us think back about it years later (we've had a few of those - French restaurant in Dallas, Italian place in SF, hot dogs outside in a cold Feb at Versailles, salmon in Seattle, etc.) . We can't eat the huge steaks, we usually do an 8 oz. something, had filets, strips, rib-eyes, etc, (dry-aged at Red Prime), never had Wagyu of any sort so what would the ideal steak dinner here (if price is no object)?

18. Default Re: Steak the Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    This talk of Wagyu has me thinking - what would be the best actual steak experience here in OKC? We've eaten at Red Prime, Mahogany, Cattlemen's, had some steaks at a few other places - some really good experiences, but nothing really outstanding that makes us think back about it years later (we've had a few of those - French restaurant in Dallas, Italian place in SF, hot dogs outside in a cold Feb at Versailles, salmon in Seattle, etc.) . We can't eat the huge steaks, we usually do an 8 oz. something, had filets, strips, rib-eyes, etc, (dry-aged at Red Prime), never had Wagyu of any sort so what would the ideal steak dinner here (if price is no object)?
    I had a Wagyu special at the Ranch a couple of years ago that was exceptional, and I also feel their on-menu ribeye is exceptional, ribeye typically being my own favorite cut of meat.

That said, I am always astounded by how many people talk "best steaks" in OKC and leave Mickey Mantle's completely out of the conversation, which tells me that in most cases they haven't been. My personal theory about that is that people must think it is a sports bar or a tourist trap or I don't know what. But I will tell you without question that my favorite on-menu steak in OKC is the Roquefort filet at Mickey's, which I usually take the added step of having peppered. And, as I mentioned, filet isn't typically even my favorite cut of meat. But this steak is truly special. Recommend it paired with jalapeno bacon mac and cheese and one of multiple incredible veggie sides. They also have an incredible lobster bisque, and often have a great tomahawk special if you aren't looking for on-menu.

As far as other exceptional on-menu steaks in OKC I would include Red Prime's 40 day dry-aged ribeye.

I would also include a dark horse; not a steakhouse but Café Cuvée (Ambassador Hotel in Midtown) has a filet that rivals any in town. Unfortunately for me they also often have a great Dover sole meunière special, and I have a terrible time choosing between the two when that is the case.

I think Mahogany is fine, but not as over-the-top great as the other places mentioned in my own experience. But I do love the bar at the downtown Mahogany. I also really love the space at Broadway 10 and have had some fine steaks there, but would put it in the same category as Mahogany. Happy to go there anytime and would recommend, but I do think there are a couple of places I'd go first if specifically craving steak. Besides the space there I'd also give them big ups for their sushi-based spin on surf and turf.

I've only eaten tartare at Bob's, while sipping whiskey. So I can't speak to their actual steaks. I need to eat there soon so that I am not leaving out a potential candidate for inclusion in my own personal "best steaks" list.

I love breakfast at Cattlemen's, and love grabbing a luncheon steak there because that was a tradition with my dear, departed dad. As for dinner I'd personally choose any of the above-mentioned places first.

We have tried most of the steak places in town haven done a steak tour a few years ago with my son with the ladies of the family were out of town. Seven steaks in seven nights if I recall correctly. Urbanized mentioned a sleeper at the Ambassador Hotel that I will have to try. My opinion of steak is pretty simple......does the flavor of the meat burst into my mouth and roll over my tongue. Either it does or it doesn't. No sauces. It is all on the quality of the meat. I always order a strip as I like lean cuts I do not like Waygu as it is too buttery/fatty/oily for my taste. IMHO, Ranch is consistently the best followed by Mahogany. Cattlemens if you want a fresh steak that is perfectly cooked on the grill in your backyard (not a bad thing). Red Prime was fantastic when they sourced their steaks from Allen Brothers in Chicago but then they switched and it went downhill for a while. Not sure where they source now but they are serving a good cut now. I need to try a steak at Mickey Mantles again as I went there with an out of town expert about ten years ago and was genuinely embarrassed at the quality of steaks we received, I have been back for events there (and food was good) but have never tried a steak there since and maybe it is time to give them another try. My sleeper would be The Mantle across the street. It has been awhile but I remember having a fantastic strip there.
    Last edited by Jeepnokc; 01-20-2022 at 09:57 PM. Reason: massive typos due to vodka :)

I've never had Wagyu. I need to try it. We visit Red Prime a lot and like their filet. I got the dry aged ribeye last time and it was just ok. I wouldn't get it again. I haven't been to Mickey Mantle's in forever. I like the ribeye at Mahogany's the best. the last couple of times we went to The Ranch was disappointing so we haven't been in a few years. I've actually gotten some insanely good steaks at The Outback, especially for the price.

I had Wagyu -- and Kyoto -- beef in Japan. Nothing I've ever tried anywhere in the US is anything like either.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    I had Wagyu -- and Kyoto -- beef in Japan. Nothing I've ever tried anywhere in the US is anything like either.
    you can order and buy A5 KOBE direct from japan ... to the USA it is very much the same as getting it at a high end steak house in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    you can order and buy A5 KOBE direct from japan ... to the USA it is very much the same as getting it at a high end steak house in Tokyo
    So does it arrive frozen? I'll take your word for it but I'm not sure it's the same.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    So does it arrive frozen? I'll take your word for it but I'm not sure it's the same.
    yes frozen ...

costco also sells Japaneesee A5 Wagyu ..

which are the Japan's Kuroge bread of cattle ..

they are around 100 dollars a pound ..

having lived in japan and traveled there for work many many times .... i can tell you that they compare very very well ..

"american wagyu and australian wagyu " are not bad in any way and in fact can be pretty great steaks ... but they are a entirely different meal then A5 graded from japan

Quote Originally Posted by WileyPostage View Post
    lol ... that appetizing oily thumbprint on the right side of the plate with the crab cakes ...
    Oh no. I hadn't noticed that the first time and can't unsee it.

So much to wonder about here based on their Facebook. The three limp, soggy asparagus (apparently for $15?). The oily fingerprints and watermarks on the plates. The minuscule salad. The peeling ceiling. I can't seem to look away...

Thread Information