Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Steak the Experience

Default Re: Steak Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    The Ranch used to be our go to until we got bad service. I pointed it out at the time and the guy acted like he didn’t care much. When the manager came around I let him know that I thought service was sub-par compared to previous times. He apologized and comped the dessert we already had. It happens so I honestly didn’t think much about it at the time but the next time we wanted a good steak we decided to go to Mahogany’s. Service was excellent and IMO exceeded any time we had went to the Ranch (not just comparing to sub-par time). Since then we’ve never been back to the Ranch.

As far as the others go, Red Prime, Mickey Mantle’s,etc, they to me are in a tier lower than Mahogany or the Ranch and for the money I don’t care to patronize them again. Service at all those is hit or miss and I don’t go out to pay $50 for a steak to take a gamble on service. Part of the price is the experience.
    I'm interested to know: what specific elements of service are all of these places consistently missing and what is Mahogany doing particularly well?

Blog Entries

Can say I’ve never had poor service or less than great meal at Ranch. Btw, I like the bone in pork chop as much as the steak.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I'm interested to know: what specific elements of service are all of these places consistently missing and what is Mahogany doing particularly well?
    I’ll start with saying I don’t mean this to come across as entitles, but when you are at a restaurant of these calibers the servers should be top notch. That’s why places like Mahogany and the Ranch have 2 typically. The one time I had a complaint with the Ranch, I feel as though it shouldn’t have happened. I had to ask multiple times for water refill and my wife had asked for some more of something, maybe like a sauce or something, it was extra so not like they forgot, but she never received it. If something like that happens at Chili’s, I wouldn’t have even thought to mention it if a manager comes by, and it doesn’t effect the tip unless they are rude. I realize someplace that Chili’s probably has them working tons of tables and these people are underpaid anyways.

But at a place like the Ranch I find that to be fairly unacceptable. Not enough to make a huge scene but enough to be annoyed and mention it to the manager because they stop by anyways. Like I said before the manager apologized and made up for it. The food is good and I imagine I’ll be back at the Ranch sometime to change it up.

Now with Mahogany, ever server I’ve had there seems top notch. What also left a lasting impression is the first time we went we had a lady that was by far the best server I’ve ever experienced. She wa personable but not overbearing. She knew the menu’s like she wrote them and made personal recommendations after asking about our tastes, that even 5 years later of us going there, I still consider when we go.

When it comes to the others such as Mickey Mantles and Red Prime, these just seem like knockoffs compared to the other 2. The food was good, but service was only marginally better than a chain restaurant in my experience and I’ve eaten at both multiple times. Because of this I don’t even consider them because I just feel that they are overpriced for what they are if I’m paying.

Even at the nice places...service can be hit or miss. Although we generally have great service at Mahogany, we ate there last year and service was great until they sat a big top in our server's section and it was like we disappeared. Gave up on trying to get another drink or dessert and finally had to wave someone over for the check. Very disappointing but that was the exception. We generally go to the Ranch and service has always been great. We get the same server every time by request but there have been 1-2 times that he missed a small detail but was quickly fixed. We also knew that his wife was having medical issues so I am sure he was preoccupied. At the prices these places cost...I expect top notch service but even professional servers are human. It is about how it is handled, their personality in as far as making the ambience and dining experience perfect, and making sure the overall experience for a pleasurable night out. Having servers that anticipate your needs versus react to your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Even at the nice places...service can be hit or miss. Although we generally have great service at Mahogany, we ate there last year and service was great until they sat a big top in our server's section and it was like we disappeared. Gave up on trying to get another drink or dessert and finally had to wave someone over for the check. Very disappointing but that was the exception. We generally go to the Ranch and service has always been great. We get the same server every time by request but there have been 1-2 times that he missed a small detail but was quickly fixed. We also knew that his wife was having medical issues so I am sure he was preoccupied. At the prices these places cost...I expect top notch service but even professional servers are human. It is about how it is handled, their personality in as far as making the ambience and dining experience perfect, and making sure the overall experience for a pleasurable night out. Having servers that anticipate your needs versus react to your needs.
    these are very much my thoughts and experience as well .. .right down to asking for the same server every time at the ranch ..

I agree that once you find a server you like, going back and asking for them really is the best experience, because then they realize how much you appreciate their service, and you usually get even better service. The other nice thing about these restaurants are the staff seems to suffer way less turnover, and I feel like that helps. Regardless if I could afford to eat at any of these restaurants every time I wanted to go out I would because you get spoiled real fast on what it means to be served.

The Ranch used to be our go to steakhouse. We had very average food a couple times so we never went back. Now we go to Mahogany and Red Prime and have never been disappointed in food or service.

8. Default Re: Steak Experience

We were talking a couple nights ago about going somewhere nice that we've never been when we feel safe to go out again. To celebrate what will be at least a year of not entering a restaurant after eating out at least three or four nights a week for years. After reading this thread I think Mahogany will be the place.

I don't understand The Ranch or the north Mahogany location. At a price point that requires a good experience and great ambiance, why would someone want to pull up to a generic building that could easily be mistaken for a Chilis or Golden Corral? .It Just doesn't make any sense to me. I do think the downtown Mahogany is fantastic.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    I don't understand The Ranch or the north Mahogany location. At a price point that requires a good experience and great ambiance, why would someone want to pull up to a generic building that could easily be mistaken for a Chilis or Golden Corral? .It Just doesn't make any sense to me. I do think the downtown Mahogany is fantastic.
    I've eaten some fantastic meals in crappy buildings and crappy meals in fantastic buildings. What's your point? You pay for looking at the building or dining on great food? I guess anyone wanting to have a great restaurant should just look for the coolest building. Job done. LOL

11. Default Re: Steak Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I've eaten some fantastic meals in crappy buildings and crappy meals in fantastic buildings. What's your point? You pay for looking at the building or dining on great food? I guess anyone wanting to have a great restaurant should just look for the coolest building. Job done. LOL
    You beat me to it. If there's great food and great service it could be in a shack and I'd be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    It’s not about cool buildings vs a crappy buildings and food quality. Of course there is good food everywhere. I’m just saying If I’m going to pay for “upscale” I am going to want a patio that doesn’t just overlook a parking lot. To many options to get high quality and good ambiance in OKC to compromise IMO.

13. Default Re: Steak Experience

Is the north Mahogony as good as downtown?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I’ve had both and food was excellent at both.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Yea they both have great food. The only difference is one sets on a weird pad site lot directly off of a turnpike exit surrounded by a big parking lot. I used to go to the north one frequently and always thought how weird the location was for that type of restaurant. The one downtown is a perfect location for a high end steak house. Top tier quality and top overall dining experience IMO.

16. Default Re: Steak Experience

I'll have to take my wife to one next time we're in town once it's safe to travel again.

Blog Entries

It’s not about cool buildings vs a crappy buildings and food quality. Of course there is good food everywhere. I’m just saying If I’m going to pay for “upscale” I am going to want a patio that doesn’t just overlook a parking lot. To many options to get high quality and good ambiance in OKC to compromise IMO.
    Ambiance at the north location is good, unless you eat in your car.

My teenage son and I did an OKC steak tour last year (6 steakhouses over six nights when the ladies of the household were out of town). Balancing in sides and service along with the quality of the steak, we agreed the ranking was:

Ranch
    Mahogany
    Red Prime (Very close between Mahogany though)
    Cattlemans
    Broadway 10
    Boulevard
    This is exactly how I would rank them, although I have never dined at Boulevard so I cannot comment on that.

The Ranch exterior is bland, but it has a very unique, comfortable and classy vibe inside. It's a cozy spot. I only make it there once or twice a year but it is the best steak in OKC and a fantastic restaurant.

Our go-to server there has moved into management at the Norman location, which is a bummer, but we really aren't dining out now anyway.

Sooo...This thread is about the "Steak Experience". Any info on that?

Windows are covered on the inside, roll off dumpster is out front and tradesmen vehicles come and go. Appears work has commenced in earnest.

^

They are gutting the space and build-out should start soon.

Took these yesterday.

I was told work has paused as they finish out other restaurant concepts, such as the 2nd and 3rd Yo! Pablo and Chico Blanco in Bricktown.

The Chef from MMR was hired to run this new concept if that says anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    I never ate there, but St. Mark's seemingly folded. MMR never took off. The George couldn't hang. Broadway 10 seems to have kept a particular following but I nearly never hear it mentioned as good from a steak perspective.

By area:

Edmond 1 - Boulevard
    NW OKC 2 (+1) - Mahogany + Ranch (and soon to be Steak Experience)
    Central OKC 4 (+2) - Broadway 10 + RedPrime + Mahogany + Mickey Mantle's (and soon Bob's + Ruth's Chris)
    South OKC/Norman 1 - Ranch

I think you could get one more in NW OKC because of all the money/business up there, but dropping it right next door to The Ranch means you have to actively steal that clientele (or offer something wildly different that causes people to consider them to be 2 completely different concepts). If you had opened east of Broadway Extension and North of 150th you could at least draw some Edmond and Deer Creek folks. (I see that Opus is somehow still operating looking at Google hours).

I mean, truly, best of luck to them, but I just don't see their target clientele giving them multiple shots to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by NoGraceCooks View Post
    The Chef from MMR was hired to run this new concept if that says anything.
    He also ran the Ranch & Boulevard for several years. Jonas is one of the best chefs in the city, but the location on this with proximity to the Ranch is going to make it tough even if they get it right IMO.

Thread Information