Widgets Magazine

Thread: Getting a Playstation 5 in OKC? Any success stories?

Default Getting a Playstation 5 in OKC? Any success stories?

Just wondering if anyone had been trying to snag a PS5 here in OKC...any success stories? Secret tricks? Great luck?

Stories are that larger WalMart have been getting restocked just about every day or thereabouts, and if you happen to be there when they are put out..lucky you. So far, we haven't been lucky

We've tried the online Sony site with the entry queue, but no soap so far.

I didn't realize this was something someone in my family was even interested in until about two or three weeks ago, or I'd have paid closer attention to the original release...dang it

Default Re: Getting a Playstation 5 in OKC? Any success stories?

I’m waiting a month to get a PS5 and a Series X.

I’m also considering getting an Alienware Aurora which has pissed many of my PC gaming friends. I haven’t decided yet. I know you can build a comparable one for much less but I love the looks and the last two PCs I built I had issues with the case after I bought an overly complex case.

I’m going to be back in Oklahoma until the summer so I’ll likely invest in a good setup. I’m also trying to eye a decent 4K TV around 55inches

Since we’re on the subject of gaming, does anyone have experience with the curved 2440p monitors? I currently run dual monitors but I was thinking of replacing it with a single dual monitor. I’m worried I’ll get one and regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Just wondering if anyone had been trying to snag a PS5 here in OKC...any success stories? Secret tricks? Great luck?

Stories are that larger WalMart have been getting restocked just about every day or thereabouts, and if you happen to be there when they are put out..lucky you. So far, we haven't been lucky

We've tried the online Sony site with the entry queue, but no soap so far.

I didn't realize this was something someone in my family was even interested in until about two or three weeks ago, or I'd have paid closer attention to the original release...dang it
    I have a buddy who works for Best Buy and he just posted that they were getting new stock, but I think you can only order them on their website today. Not sure when they are supposed to go live though.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    I have a buddy who works for Best Buy and he just posted that they were getting new stock, but I think you can only order them on their website today. Not sure when they are supposed to go live though.
    I won't be absolutely certain until Saturday, but it *appears* I was able to snag one from BB during their marathon drop Tuesday. It was one of the more absurdly intense online purchase processes I've undertaken.

They apparently went live on a regional basis, and made the purchase process a two-step effort requiring a code from an email to at least try to help circumvent the bots. I gotta give 'em props for at least trying.

Even though the drop started at 8AM CST, their online inventory didn't switch from "Coming Soon" to "Add to Cart" until about 11:30. Once it did, I was hitting "add to cart" like a caffeinated rabbit but continued to get error messages. Once it turned to "Waiting for inventory.." with an animated ellipsis that promised it would "go yellow" again as soon as more inventory was allocated. It never did. I finally decided to risk opening a new browser tab, and was stunned to see *something* was in my cart! After about 20 failures reloading the cart, it finally showed the PS5 and wanted me to select a store for pickup. Then *that* kept timing out, and timing out, and timing out again - once it finally showed a list of stores, and I picked one, it kept erroring and erroring again and again - but I still had the thing in my cart. And amid all this, I finally got a notice that I needed to provide a confirmation code in an email - which I grabbed and finally got a chance to fill in. I'm thinking I was *this* close.

Thinking as long as I had the thing in my cart I had a fighting chance, I kept refreshing the "Select Store" page, and it variously gave me "None in 250 miles", "Stores in TExas" and various combinations of stores in OK, until *finally* it let me pick one!! The next step was to pay, and hitting the "Payment" button on the checkout page was easy because I had all my info preloaded, and when I hit the "Place Order" button I held my breath to see the charge email notice come from my cardholder. That was my final sign - I had a separate email window open, and maybe 2 seconds after I hit "Place Order," I saw the charge email come across AND the confirmation from the BB website. THe last step was the BB confirmation email, which came about five minutes later.

WHEW!!!

As I said, it was the most absurdly intense purchase I've ever made. I have to admit that being a software guy taught me not to give up as long as I had the thing in my cart despite the errors selecting a store. I knew they were filling inventory from a regional center and the inability to select a store was as much due to latency querying the stores in the region from all the other traffic, and didn't really reflect on my purchase - and my hunch paid off.

I've been kinda holding my breath for any last-minute glitches and cancellation emails, but so far, the CC charge hasn't been reversed and the order status is still showing Saturday pickup is all set, so I'm *cautiously optimistic* it will all work out. WHEW!!!

Speaking with my buddy yesterday, he said both PS and Xbox systems sold out fast and his store, along with the other OKC based ones, probably won't see any more units until late January.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    Speaking with my buddy yesterday, he said both PS and Xbox systems sold out fast and his store, along with the other OKC based ones, probably won't see any more units until late January.
    Picked up my PS5 today. Best Buy has the curbside thing down to a science. Showed my order code and ID, they slipped it in my trunk, and I was off. I kept waiting until the last minute for something to go wrong, but nothing did. Woohoo!

Thread Information