Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Edmond City Council 2021 Elections

Default Re: Edmond City Council 2021 Elections

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    The Karen ticket didn't have the night they were expecting. Unfortunately, it looks like Edmond's own MTG is probably gonna win (Peterson).

But I'm very glad Davis pulled out a win, and it wasn't really that close. I guess science does matter in politics...
    I know shes anti-masker which means shes probably anti-vax which means she probably thinks 5G poles kill kids but curious what other MTG type stuff shes said or done?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthOfTheVillage View Post
    Walters had some interesting ideas. Edmond would be lucky if the Arcadia area were developed into anything remotely close to the standard set in Rosemary Beach.
    Rosemary Beach is too dense and too much of an "experiment" to be allowed in Edmond, plus the traffic. Or so the NIMBYs would likely say.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    I know shes anti-masker which means shes probably anti-vax which means she probably thinks 5G poles kill kids but curious what other MTG type stuff shes said or done?
    The MTG is probably a bit harsh, but every flyer and statement I've seen from her (including her website) focuses on 3 things. Opposition to masks, protect the police at all cost, and bitch about the water rates. I can at least understand the last one, but it doesn't come from an understanding of WHY the water rates are high (the city is carrying debt for water infrastructure upgrades). Her talk on her site about "aggressive leftists" makes it obvious that she's not aware that the city offices are nonpartisan, and she has all the political/policy depth of my grandmother posting on facebook.

Surprised this hasnt been mentioned already but classic NIMBYism at play here. The city voted to send to ballot a question to raise $5 million to buy land across the creek from Hafer Park to permantly stop private development. However, this $5 million is just to buy a wooded 22 acres, theres no funding to make it part of the park. In fact its not even accessible. I would imagine it would take at least $2-3 million more just to make accessible and part of hafer park. Lot of money for 22 acres of additional park, but I guess thats the price you pay to satisfy NIMBYs. At least it will be a city wide vote and residents can decide themselves.

Then you have another group of NIMBYs attempting a zoning reversal petition that is trying to get on the ballot too, making this super confusing to all voters. You have one group of NIMBYs who are upset at another group of NIMBYs for complicating the NIMBYness. Its all king of funny really.

You also have another petition to overturn apartments in SE Edmond. I guess even putting apartments along I35 is "just not the right place for this" as you hear so often from NIMBYs

https://nondoc.com/2021/05/24/edmond...tax-on-ballot/
    https://journalrecord.com/2021/06/03...r-development/

I’ve been watching next door and the NIMBYS are going absolutely insane.

And yet, these are the same people complaining that Edmond isn’t getting a Trader Joe’s or a Whole Foods.

Someone should kindly remind them that you need density if you want nice things.

I've got no problem with the folks making the initiative to have the city purchase the land. That's absolutely the right tact to take if you don't want the land developed (that or buy it yourself).

I'm hoping the second initiative fails though. I agree that having both on the ballot would be confusing to people.

Don't get me wrong. I'd rather get this development (I'd really rather have what was originally planned there, although it would help if they had an actual anchor or potential tenants they could name rather than a just build it and they will come promise). But if folks feel strongly about this land not getting developed then it needs to be purchased and turned into a preserve. It's a much better tactic than just blocking the development.

I've got no problem with the folks making the initiative to have the city purchase the land. That's absolutely the right tact to take if you don't want the land developed (that or buy it yourself).

I'm hoping the second initiative fails though. I agree that having both on the ballot would be confusing to people.

Don't get me wrong. I'd rather get this development (I'd really rather have what was originally planned there, although it would help if they had an actual anchor or potential tenants they could name rather than a just build it and they will come promise). But if folks feel strongly about this land not getting developed then it needs to be purchased and turned into a preserve. It's a much better tactic than just blocking the development.
    At least it gives the landowner an off ramp rather than just sitting there frustrated he can't do anything with something he owns.

If you’re trying to develop anything in Edmond other than SF homes or strip centers, you have to have brass balls and sharp elbows. I’ve talked to a number of developers who have simply given up on Edmond. Way easier to earn your returns elsewhere in the metro.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelerD Guy View Post
    If you’re trying to develop anything in Edmond other than SF homes or strip centers, you have to have brass balls and sharp elbows. I’ve talked to a number of developers who have simply given up on Edmond. Way easier to earn your returns elsewhere in the metro.
    Pretty much. Most of these NIMBYs want no compromise other than the types of developments you mentioned. I too know several developers who don’t consider Edmond for these very reasons. One can only imagine how many nice developments were blocked in the city other than ones we do know about.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Pretty much. Most of these NIMBYs want no compromise other than the types of developments you mentioned. I too know several developers who don’t consider Edmond for these very reasons. One can only imagine how many nice developments were blocked in the city other than ones we do know about.
    The NIMBY’s need to realize that they’ve gotten accustomed to a certain level of city services. Those can be only be funded so much by 7-11’s, dispensaries, dry cleaners, and cellular repair shops. Either grow the business of the city or reap what you sow as the population continues to increase and the city services lack the appropriate growth in sales tax to grow to match it.

^^^ I will say, to Edmonds advantage, there really isn’t a competing suburb. I might stir up the pot saying this, but the closest thing Edmond has to competition is Norman and IMO that means Edmond has nothing to worry about. I’m trying to be as polite as possible. I do love campus corner and OU which Edmond has nothing close to as a whole regarding the synergy.

With that being said, it’s only a matter of time before some suburb or exurb takes off and becomes a real premier commuting city for OKC. As nice as Edmond is for Oklahoma, and I say born and raised in Edmond and having passion for it, quite frankly it’s comical to call Edmond anything close to an upscale community. The measurement of income per capita isn’t reflected on the city’s image. Edmond can do way better and the citizens should invest by the way of paying higher taxes and I’d gladly pay my share.

I’m considering either Las Vegas or Edmond for my home purchase though I’ll eventually get both but if Edmond doesn’t improve I’ll likely opt to buy in south Logan county or central OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    Where would the parking garage go? Would it require the City to purchase private property? How much would it cost? I do not think it would be wise to place a parking garage in the City of Edmond. Rose District in Broken Arrow is about the same as downtown Edmond, and there is no parking garage there. If there is space for additional parking lots, maybe that is something that I would support. However, not an actual parking garage.
    I know this is an old reply, but I'm still getting caught up on threads like this... So, not sure if anyone's mentioned this but a parking garage could easily go on the lot on the NW corner of Main & Littler. I think - though I'm not certain - that the lot is city owned, as I parked there when I took my HAM Radio class at the Downtown Community Center several years back. As I recall, the lot is in meh condition (as of the last time I saw it), and that spot would be great for structured parking for both the Community Center and downtown businesses.

As for the boutique hotel: I see several open lots on the west side of Broadway, between Hurd and Campbell... I think one would do quite well there, if it were built on a lot fronting Broadway, with a facade similar to the character of the area.

There's also the parking lot on the north side of the Edmond Administration building between Main and Hurd that could be used for either purpose.

Zero clue if zoning would allow for any of these uses - just spitballing based on memory and what I can see from Google Earth. But there is a ton of unused or underutilized land surrounding the downtown Edmond core, easily visible with Google Earth.

^^^ Edmond was VERY interested in building one or two parking garages in the core along with a performing arts center. When O Neil became mayor it seems like the Edmonds priorities shifted for better or worse. It will be interesting to see the direction Davis takes the city.

Looks like the last Edmond City council meeting got pretty heated.

Edmond residents freak out at City Council meeting over Pride Month declaration…

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Looks like the last Edmond City council meeting got pretty heated.

Edmond residents freak out at City Council meeting over Pride Month declaration…
    The good news is judging by the video most of the people seemed supportive. It’s just a few old white people who probably can’t stand being talked to by David for certain reasons let alone living in a community that recognizes June as Pride month for the LGTBQ+ Community. The horror! I’m sure they can find other communities in Oklahoma that don’t recognize it and perhaps they’d be happier there.

Again, it does seem like most people were proud of our city progressing and being more inclusive. I am ecstatic to have a mayor like Davis in my hometown.

lol it looks like she’s about to start busting into tears

https://youtu.be/PvOY1zEE14I

Gosh part of me wishes I was there for this but I’d surely have gotten kicked out so probably for the best I wasn’t.

^^ I will say I'm proud of our council and mayor. I watched the entire meeting, and yes, there were 5 or 6 people who showed up to complain about the declaration. But the former mayor had some great comments, as did my councilwoman (Mugg). She pointed out that while there were a handful that were upset about this, across the board there have been thousands who have voiced their support.

These are the same handful of dinosaurs that make a scene at almost every council meeting and were rightly slapped down in the last elections. Edmond is making great progress, and it's a shame they didn't do it earlier. But I'm very proud of them doing it now, even if it is late.

^^ I will say I'm proud of our council and mayor. I watched the entire meeting, and yes, there were 5 or 6 people who showed up to complain about the declaration. But the former mayor had some great comments, as did my councilwoman (Mugg). She pointed out that while there were a handful that were upset about this, across the board there have been thousands who have voiced their support.

These are the same handful of dinosaurs that make a scene at almost every council meeting and were rightly slapped down in the last elections. Edmond is making great progress, and it's a shame they didn't do it earlier. But I'm very proud of them doing it now, even if it is late.
    Completely agree! This was an amazing way for her to end the session:

“ And after the public comments portion of the City Council meeting ended, Edmond Councilwoman Christin Mugg used the opportunity to explain to the people who are opposed to the Pride Month Declaration why they are the reason we still need Pride Month Declarations.”

I mean what a sad life someone must have to take time out of their day to go sit at a council meeting to get worked up and go full Karen on a single month out of the year recognizing a historically disadvantaged and abused group of people in a society. Hopefully these people wake up and rid themselves of all the hate they have flowing through them.

Thread Information