Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Edmond City Council 2021 Elections

Default Edmond City Council 2021 Elections

From Edmond's Facebook -

The filing period for individuals interested in running for three city council positions will take place from December 7 – 9. The seats up for election in 2021 are Ward 3, Ward 4 and Mayor. City council terms are for four years and the mayor serves a two-year term.
    Current councilmembers Dan O’Neil (Mayor) and Nick Massey (Ward 4) have both announced they will not seek re-election for another term in 2021. Darrell Davis (Ward 3) has announced that he will seek election as Mayor in 2021.
    To be eligible for office in Edmond, the City Charter requires the following criteria be met:
    - Legal citizen of the United States.
    - A minimum of twenty-five (25) years of age.
    - A freeholder (landowner) and resident of at least one year prior to selection to serve.
    - A qualified voter of the City of Edmond & of the ward in which he or she is running.
    The filing period for these positions runs from 8:00 am on Monday, December 7th through 5:00 pm on Wednesday, December 9th. Filing takes place at the Oklahoma County Election Board located at 4201 North Lincoln Boulevard in Oklahoma City, and questions regarding the process can be directed to (405) 713-1515.
    For seats in which more than two candidates file, a primary election will take place on Tuesday, February 9th. The general election for City Council will be held on Tuesday, April 6th.
    I'm excited about this. I don't have the complete disdain for O'Neil or Massey that other folks have, but they were the holdouts on the mask mandates and they are both directly responsible for the delay in implementation in the beginning. Additionally, O'Neil represents a voice of stagnation. He's appeared to opposed any sort of innovative growth or development in Edmond. While I certainly think new developments should be closely looked at, especially when they come with zoning changes, I think having a stance which seems to oppose the majority of them is too extreme (just was one that approved everything would be detrimental to the city). I have a lot of respect for Massey and he seems to be a nice guy, but I just think their viewpoints are outdated, and Edmond needs some fresh blood on the council. I rather have people on the council who are still growing and building their lives and careers, not folks who are at the end of them. The council isn't a retirement plan for old white men.

I like Davis quite a bit. He's my councilman, is also the first POC on the Edmond City Council AFAIK, and if elected Mayor would be the first Black Mayor in Edmond, which would be a great advance on our sundown town days.

Cody Boyd, who's been on the Edmond Transportation Committee for a few years, announced a few months back that he was running for the Ward 3 seat. I'm not sure if anyone else is planning on running for this seat (although I've considered running myself).

Whichever way this plays out, it has the potential to be a significant shift in the city council, especially with folks like Josh Moore, who I'm also a fan of, currently on the council.

Default Re: Edmond City Council 2021 Elections

Jerry please throw your hat into the race, I think you have some good perspectives. You've seen what Edmond used to be like in the old days and how far its come and know where it can go. I know it eats up a lot of a person's free time, hope you give it a try.

Councilman Davis is going to be opposed for Mayor; and there are at least two other candidates who will be running for the Ward 3 seat.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    Councilman Davis is going to be opposed for Mayor; and there are at least two other candidates will be running for the Ward 3 seat.
    Yeah, I assumed Davis will be opposed. I'm just hoping he wins. Any input on who else is planning on running for that or the Ward 3 seat? Cody Boyd appears to be Davis' chosen successor but I'm hoping there are some other strong contenders.

Jerry, I've heard that an area attorney is running for Ward 3, and also a businesswoman. I can't recall the name of the attorney who is running, but you would know her name from the masks debate. As for the businesswoman, I know her personally, but she is not ready to announce yet. She is going to announce next week as soon as she files.

Likewise, I personally know the other candidate for Mayor, but he is not ready to announce yet; he plans to announce next week as soon as he files, also.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    From Edmond's Facebook -

I'm excited about this. I don't have the complete disdain for O'Neil or Massey that other folks have, but they were the holdouts on the mask mandates and they are both directly responsible for the delay in implementation in the beginning. Additionally, O'Neil represents a voice of stagnation. He's appeared to opposed any sort of innovative growth or development in Edmond. While I certainly think new developments should be closely looked at, especially when they come with zoning changes, I think having a stance which seems to oppose the majority of them is too extreme (just was one that approved everything would be detrimental to the city). I have a lot of respect for Massey and he seems to be a nice guy, but I just think their viewpoints are outdated, and Edmond needs some fresh blood on the council. I rather have people on the council who are still growing and building their lives and careers, not folks who are at the end of them. The council isn't a retirement plan for old white men.

I like Davis quite a bit. He's my councilman, is also the first POC on the Edmond City Council AFAIK, and if elected Mayor would be the first Black Mayor in Edmond, which would be a great advance on our sundown town days.

Cody Boyd, who's been on the Edmond Transportation Committee for a few years, announced a few months back that he was running for the Ward 3 seat. I'm not sure if anyone else is planning on running for this seat (although I've considered running myself).

Whichever way this plays out, it has the potential to be a significant shift in the city council, especially with folks like Josh Moore, who I'm also a fan of, currently on the council.
    So Oneill isnt running again?

The council has got a little better in recent years as being more pro growth, whereas Oneill is a little bit of the opposite of that, like you mention. The worry is that the council flips with more NIMBYs, more regulatory hurdles and opposing most new big developments. Edmond is no longer a bedroom community and should welcome good growth. Oh, and hopefully no crazy anti-masker, anti vaxxer, anti 5g types. Leave that to Broken Arrow.

I hate to the one to say it but Davis has a very slim chance of winning in Edmond and we all know why. I don’t mean to imply that Edmond is an overtly racist community but there is a good deal of stereotyping that goes on in Edmond and I’d be very, although happily, surprised if he wins.

I had a look at Davis and he does seem like the right man for the job. I will be back in town until this summer at least and I’ll try and change and my ID over to Edmond residence so I can vote and if I’m able to I’ll like Davis.

I am glad to see O Neil go. I said this on Facebook and I’ll say it here. O Neil may have been good in the past as I don’t know much about his history. But he was one of the main people that launched the opposition for Spring Creek Expansion which would have a shopping center like Chisholm Creek or OAK although scaled down. The only difference is no doubt it would have been built by now. It would easily be the best shopping center in the state and would be amongst one of Edmonds biggest sales tax generators(or at least outside of COVID).

Edmond seems to always have no problem voting in approval for 90+ percent of proposals that come through which almost always cookie cutter sprawling developments that are a dime a dozen. When it comes to really unique and different projects like Shoppes at Spring Creek they get voted down. It’s frustrating to see. Thankfully some cool stuff is being built in downtown Edmond so hopefully that will spur some change elsewhere.

I also hope the next mayor directs the police chief to tone down the traffic enforcement in Edmond. I’m not saying this from some anti police stance. Given how I’ve been caught driving in Edmond, for the most part the police have been really cool with me. But there are way too many patrols trying to catch speeders it’s maddening to see. We need smart policing not over policing.

Edmond also needs to find ways to increase its revenues by raising certain taxes and part of that can only be done by the state allowing cities to fund different ways other than what they’re currently limited to which is sales taxes which if raised too high are regressive. Edmond is growing like crazy and I can’t believe the amount of traffic I’ve seen in the east side lately. It may just be due to covell being closed but if the city doesn’t stay proactive on road widening Edmond will become gridlocked. Several four lane roads should six lanes.

I do hope the next mayor is more progressive and works with Edmond Pride to build a LGBTQ+ center in downtown. Lots of potential here and I’m pretty excited as well about this.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    So Oneill isnt running again?
    Yeah, that's one thing I've known for a while. He's been fairly up front that he wasn't going to run again, and the assumption by many was that Massey was going to run for his seat. I'm glad that didn't happen, and I hope we can get someone who will be very engaged with the community, especially the younger, more diverse population which is on the rapid rise in Edmond. Davis may not quite be the star there that I would like, but he would definitely be an improvement over O'Neill IMO and provide a fresh perspective.

104802.jpg

(here's a decent link because posting images here sucks - https://imgur.com/zYleFcl)

Here's the list of the filings. No real surprises, although I do notice that a David Miller is running for Ward 4. I assume this is the same David Miller who previously held the seat and had to resign when he relocated to New Orleans in 2012. On the mayors race, besides Davis, the current ward 4 council man who is running, we have Nathan Walters, and Will Gattenby. Gattenby was the communications director for Cornetts Gubernatorial campaign and has other political experience as well. Walters owns MASSAROSSA luxury homes.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    104802.jpg

(here's a decent link because posting images here sucks - https://imgur.com/zYleFcl)

Here's the list of the filings. No real surprises, although I do notice that a David Miller is running for Ward 4. I assume this is the same David Miller who previously held the seat and had to resign when he relocated to New Orleans in 2012. On the mayors race, besides Davis, the current ward 4 council man who is running, we have Nathan Walters, and Will Gattenby. Gattenby was the communications director for Cornetts Gubernatorial campaign and has other political experience as well. Walters owns MASSAROSSA luxury homes.
    On the face of it, these dont sound like bad options. Just dont want to see any names associated with a facebook group named citizens against 5G, masks or something like that or have been associated with anti development actions and protests.

Unless Walters has changed his mind, he is against mask mandates. His views appear to be a liberty and freedom issue when it comes to masks. Back in July 2020, both Nathan and his wife spoke against a mask mandate at an Edmond City council meeting (video still up). Darrell Davis was and has been in favor of a mask mandate. Davis will get my vote for mayor since I think it's a public health issue.

Quote Originally Posted by pedmond View Post
    Unless Walters has changed his mind, he is against mask mandates. His views appear to be a liberty and freedom issue when it comes to masks. Back in July 2020, both Nathan and his wife spoke against a mask mandate at an Edmond City council meeting (video still up). Darrell Davis was and has been in favor of a mask mandate. Davis will get my vote for mayor since I think it's a public health issue.
    Darrell Davis is a terrible candidate for Edmond Mayor. Putting the masks issue aside, Councilman Davis made some suggestions in the online Edmond Rotary forum last night which deeply trouble me. For example, he suggested the ideas of putting a parking garage and/or a boutique hotel in downtown Edmond. I would be opposed to either ideas. If you compare downtown Edmond to the Rose District in Broken Arrow, the Rose District has done very well without a parking garage or a boutique hotel. Downtown Edmond can do very well just the same. Edmond needs to become more like Broken Arrow, and I think Nathan Walters would better accomplish that than Darrell Davis would.

13. Default Re: Edmond City Council 2021 Elections

Edmond needs to become more like Broken Arrow
    uuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh

Edmond needs to become more like Broken Arrow, and I think Nathan Walters would better accomplish that than Darrell Davis would.
    Well this right here just convinced me to vote for Davis.

HangryHippo Guest

Darrell Davis is a terrible candidate for Edmond Mayor. Putting the masks issue aside, Councilman Davis made some suggestions in the online Edmond Rotary forum last night which deeply trouble me. For example, he suggested the ideas of putting a parking garage and/or a boutique hotel in downtown Edmond. I would be opposed to either ideas. If you compare downtown Edmond to the Rose District in Broken Arrow, the Rose District has done very well without a parking garage or a boutique hotel. Downtown Edmond can do very well just the same. Edmond needs to become more like Broken Arrow, and I think Nathan Walters would better accomplish that than Darrell Davis would.
    LOL. Now I know who not to vote for!

More like Broken Arrow? I’ve heard it all!

Davis was already the front runner for my pick and support, and now I find out that he's open to the idea of a downtown parking garage and a boutique hotel? I'm not even saying I support either or both of these ideas, but this shows some willingness to change and grow and not trying to keep Edmond in the 70's like we've got with our current leadership. Muskogee is a nice little town, but the last time Edmond was as little as Muskogee was when my father was a city councilman. Considering that was 40 years ago, and considering that if my father was still alive, he'd still be younger than 2/5 of our current council, it's not hard to understand why it feels like our council needs some fresh perspectives. The type of leadership and decisions that are right for Edmond aren't the same as they were 40 years ago.

The parking garage seems totally unnecessary but hey, if Davis wants to discuss it, so be it. But the objection to a boutique hotel seems odd. Why would you be against this? Any downtown would benefit from a hotel, especially one that has zero hotels in dt area. I guarantee you every business owner downtown would be for it. Im sure theres a market for one, and if a hotelier wanted to take the risk on it I have not idea why people would oppose it. Smells like classic Edmond NIMBYism right here.

Downtown parking garage has been planned for two decades now. It is better to build it before parking becomes an issue which it eventually will. I’m not sure why anyone would object to a parking garage or a boutique hotel unless they just want to see Edmond remain small and the way it is.

The parking garage seems totally unnecessary but hey, if Davis wants to discuss it, so be it. But the objection to a boutique hotel seems odd. Why would you be against this? Any downtown would benefit from a hotel, especially one that has zero hotels in dt area. I guarantee you every business owner downtown would be for it. Im sure theres a market for one, and if a hotelier wanted to take the risk on it I have not idea why people would oppose it. Smells like classic Edmond NIMBYism right here.
    I am not against hotels, but I am against placing them in downtown Edmond. Downtown Edmond is already a cramped area; I am not sure where a hotel would go in the downtown Edmond area. A very small bed and breakfast might fit somewhere (I am thinking of converting the Shadid building), but otherwise, there is not enough space for a boutique hotel in downtown Edmond. I am much more in favor of building more hotels out in the I-35 and Covell area; where they could compete with the Hilton which is already out there. That would be best for the free market and for competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Downtown parking garage has been planned for two decades now. It is better to build it before parking becomes an issue which it eventually will. I’m not sure why anyone would object to a parking garage or a boutique hotel unless they just want to see Edmond remain small and the way it is.
    Where would the parking garage go? Would it require the City to purchase private property? How much would it cost? I do not think it would be wise to place a parking garage in the City of Edmond. Rose District in Broken Arrow is about the same as downtown Edmond, and there is no parking garage there. If there is space for additional parking lots, maybe that is something that I would support. However, not an actual parking garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    If a boutique hotel builder wants it to be a condition that the city of Edmond must compensate for empty rooms, then I see that as a no go. If I'm right, that is why no boutique hotel was built in downtown Stillwater.

Where would the parking garage go? Would it require the City to purchase private property? How much would it cost? I do not think it would be wise to place a parking garage in the City of Edmond. Rose District in Broken Arrow is about the same as downtown Edmond, and there is no parking garage there. If there is space for additional parking lots, maybe that is something that I would support. However, not an actual parking garage.
    Original plans called for a performing arts center in collaboration with UCO and IIRC, two structured parking garages. A parking lot to be upgraded to a garage in the future connected to the proposed multimodal transit hub that will connect Edmond to the rest of the metro via a commuter rail network and a 3-4 story parking garage at the site of the current city administration building. The current city administration building would be replaced with a new city hall to be built possibly on the site of the former police station. The garage would then be built in the place.

A net loss of parking spaces will come with a plan to reduce Broadway from four to two lanes and possibly eliminate the angled street parking in favor of parallel parking. New parking spaces would be required and the sidewalk would be expanded.

Of course this all memory based so some details may be off. The performing arts center, garage, and new city hall have been put on an indefinite hold and that was before COVID. Edmond is trying to find money to update its downtown lighting but can’t even do that.

Personally, I just think Edmond is broke and can’t do the things it wants/needs because of the overly conservative nature of its citizens not wanting to pay higher taxes for a better city and the state limiting revenue collection methods.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    If a boutique hotel builder wants it to be a condition that the city of Edmond must compensate for empty rooms, then I see that as a no go. If I'm right, that is why no boutique hotel was built in downtown Stillwater.
    Not sure but I can say I’ve definitely had relatives and friends visit that needed a hotel and wanted to be closer to downtown to be able to walk around. I think a hotel in downtown could work. Personally I wish they would have built the current conference center/hotel in downtown instead of I-35 and Covell.

I am not against hotels, but I am against placing them in downtown Edmond. Downtown Edmond is already a cramped area; I am not sure where a hotel would go in the downtown Edmond area. A very small bed and breakfast might fit somewhere (I am thinking of converting the Shadid building), but otherwise, there is not enough space for a boutique hotel in downtown Edmond. I am much more in favor of building more hotels out in the I-35 and Covell area; where they could compete with the Hilton which is already out there. That would be best for the free market and for competition.
    You just totally contadicted yourself. You want to skew the market in that hotels should only be in a certain area and claim that would be best for a free market. That makes no sense. A free market would allow a developer to put a hotel anywhere zoning allows. And if that is downtown, so be it. And sorry, you saying downtown is cramped doenst make it so. I stand by my comment that every business downtown would be for a downtown hotel.

This is the main issue I have with Edmond and other NIMBYs, claiming that you know whats best for new development and the locations of it. You know who knows better where a hotel should go? A hotel company. You know who knows better if an area is too cramped for a hotel? A hotel company. This isnt going to be some OKC Omni sized hotel anyways, you wouldnt even notice the changes to traffic it would bring. Only thing you would notice differently would be a new 2-3 story new building, which would probably look great in downtown. Edmond seems intent on making its downtown vibrant and focal point for the town. How can you have that yet claim its not the place for a hotel?

One last point on competition. Why would a boutique hotel go out by the new Hilton convention hotel that the city subsidizes? A boutique hotel isnt going to compete with that, which is why downtown would make much better sense.

You just totally contadicted yourself. You want to skew the market in that hotels should only be in a certain area and claim that would be best for a free market. That makes no sense. A free market would allow a developer to put a hotel anywhere zoning allows. And if that is downtown, so be it. And sorry, you saying downtown is cramped doenst make it so. I stand by my comment that every business downtown would be for a downtown hotel.

This is the main issue I have with Edmond and other NIMBYs, claiming that you know whats best for new development and the locations of it. You know who knows better where a hotel should go? A hotel company. You know who knows better if an area is too cramped for a hotel? And hotel company. This isnt going to be some OKC Omni sized hotel anyways, you wouldnt even notice the changes to traffic it would bring. Only thing you would notice differenlty would be a new 2-3 story new building. Edmond seems intent on making its downtown vibrant and focal point for the town. How can you have that yet claim its not the place for a hotel?

One last point on competition. Why would a boutique hotel go out by the new Hilton convention hotel that the city subsidizes? A boutique hotel isnt going to compete with that, which is why downtown would make much better sense.
    I don't think Downtown Edmond should be zoned for hotels. I don't think there is space for one. I think what we need in downtown Edmond are retail, restaurants, and entertainment. Not hotels. Where would the hotel go, do you know?

As for your last point, no, I would not see a boutique hotel going out by the current Hilton. However, that area of town would be a great place for other similar hotels that could compete with the Hilton. I'm thinking Embassy Suites, Hyatt brand hotels, etc.

Thread Information