Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Edmond City Council 2021 Elections

Default Re: Edmond City Council 2021 Elections

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    No, its not sarcastic; I am very serious when I question BA being the laughingstock of the nation. BA is a great city. They have a great state senator who represents them, Sen. Nathan Dahm. ...
    This guy?

https://www.thelostogle.com/?s=dahm

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    Just a casual look on Google maps shows a staggering amount of empty land in the square-mile section around downtown Edmond. How big do some people think a boutique hotel would be?
    I do think that many people, when they think of downtown Edmond, they're picturing the few blocks right along Broadway north of 2nd, and not the larger downtown district, or the spaces that aren't right ON Broadway. Or they're picturing a free standing hotel that would take up an entire block downtown.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    If folks want some more guidance on which candidates NOT to support...

Attachment 16693
    The fact that has as many positive reactions as it does is appalling.

HangryHippo Guest

Jbkrems - did you see your dream city of BA is in the news for using Holocaust footage as part of anti-mask presentation? If they weren’t already an embarrassment, they soon will be.

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    Jbkrems - did you see your dream city of BA is in the news for using Holocaust footage as part of anti-mask presentation? If they weren’t already an embarrassment, they soon will be.
    I heard about that, but you have mischaracterized what happened. From what I understand, one of BA's citizens, Ms. Lori Gracey, used Holocaust footage in HER PERSONAL presentation, against mask mandates. She was not making this presentation on behalf of the City of Broken Arrow, but she was using this footage as part of her presentation as a private citizen. The City and the Chamber of Commerce of Broken Arrow have both disavowed this. Of course, when someone makes public comment in any of these meetings, it is wrong to directly associate it to say the views of the private citizen are not the same as the position of the City or of the Chamber of Commerce. However, Ms. Gracey has a right to her opinion, as bizarre as it may or may not be. Doesn't mean something is wrong with the City of Broken Arrow or its Chamber of Commerce.

Normal private citizens can speak at city council meetings with the assistance of video presentations? I've watched a lot of OKC city council meeting streams and followed along with live-tweets of even more than that and I have never seen or seen mention of a random private citizen making that kind of presentation.

Does Broken Arrow really allow that for anyone who wants to speak? And nobody vets the presentations ahead of time? Seems pretty weird and hard to believe.

Also, the city council at least did not disavow it: City Of Broken Arrow Declines To Condemn Use Of Holocaust Imagery At Council Meeting

Edmond Re: Edmond City Council 2021 Elections

Hi Jerry. I haven't been on OKC Talk in a very long time, so I just recently came across this thread. Mr. Davis and I live in the same neighborhood and have known each other for several years, but he did not make an endorsement in the Ward 3 council race, which I definitely understand.

Hopefully one of our volunteers or I have knocked on your door since Christmas. If not, you can check out my website https://boydforedmond.com. I'd appreciate your consideration on Feb. 9.

Yeah, I assumed Davis will be opposed. I'm just hoping he wins. Any input on who else is planning on running for that or the Ward 3 seat? Cody Boyd appears to be Davis' chosen successor but I'm hoping there are some other strong contenders.

Uhg - Not real thrilled with the election results last night. The anti-science crowd seemed to really have their way - I'm sure the antivaxxers and covidiots are celebrating, but I'm hoping in the general we can kick Janis and Peterson to the curb.

https://nondoc.com/2021/02/09/edmond...ction-results/

I'll be pushing hard for Mugg on Ward 3 because she at least understands that a mask mandate is not overreach, and her focus is stuff like infrastructure and business development; as opposed to Janis who seems to be about "conservative values", fighting the left (someone should tell them the council is non-partisan), fighting mask mandates and covid restrictions, and protecting the police. Oh, and bitching about water rates. Basically, everyone's annoying NIMBY neighbor.

Uhg - Not real thrilled with the election results last night. The anti-science crowd seemed to really have their way - I'm sure the antivaxxers and covidiots are celebrating, but I'm hoping in the general we can kick Janis and Peterson to the curb.

https://nondoc.com/2021/02/09/edmond...ction-results/

I'll be pushing hard for Mugg on Ward 3 because she at least understands that a mask mandate is not overreach, and her focus is stuff like infrastructure and business development; as opposed to Janis who seems to be about "conservative values", fighting the left (someone should tell them the council is non-partisan), fighting mask mandates and covid restrictions, and protecting the police. Oh, and bitching about water rates. Basically, everyone's annoying NIMBY neighbor.
    Ugh, doesnt sound good so far. Edmond is weird though, in that now in the general election, the whole city votes on each wards race. Not sure that changes anything but its not going to be good to have anti-masker anti-growth councilors. Anti-mask is actually bad for business. Janis says shes against overreach and restrictions but I bet she would sure overreach and restrict if an apartment complex tried to get built.

Of course Edmond doesn’t want to vote for a candidate that focuses on infrastructure. These same dumbasses who vote against candidates that want to improve our infrastructure will complain about traffic.

^^ the problem is that by and large, Edmond didn't vote for anything yesterday. The voter turnout was in the hundreds. This weather really killed turnout, and this election wasn't heavily promoted.

Well that’s good news at least.

Mask mandate extended. Hopefully this doesn’t fuel the anti maskers to sway the election:

https://kfor.com/news/local/edmond-c...ough-march-23/

Mask mandate is no longer in effect. The candidates will need to find something else to bitch about so they can appease certain voters.

https://kfor.com/news/local/city-of-...-of-emergency/

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Mask mandate is no longer in effect. The candidates will need to find something else to bitch about so they can appease certain voters.

https://kfor.com/news/local/city-of-...-of-emergency/
    I don't know if you saw this -

https://nondoc.com/2021/03/24/edmond...gree-on-masks/

Walters added that he wouldn’t have required masks in city buildings as mayor. When asked if he believes masks help to curb the spread of the virus, he said he doesn’t know.
    Well, he certainly seems qualified to be mayor.

They've been going around pushing their 'liberty' ticket. I've done them the favor of improving their poster for accuracy.

karen_ticket.jpg

Male Karen ticket too lol

I hope Davis is elected but I’m worried he won’t due to certain reasons I’m not going to discuss here. Edmond has a certain reputation for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Male Karen ticket too lol

I hope Davis is elected but I’m worried he won’t due to certain reasons I’m not going to discuss here. Edmond has a certain reputation for a reason.
    I know what you're saying, and I don't disagree that there are certain people where it will be a factor, but I think it's much less of a factor now than it used to be. I think what hurts him more is this liberty ticket. Davis also has a much more laid back personality than Walters, and I expect that won't do him any favors.

Davis has a more laid back personality than Walters? Are you sure about that? Davis seems to be more "serious" to me, wearing the bow tie and all. Nathan Walters wore a pink tie and maybe jeans at the NonDoc forum. Isn't that more laid back?

I may have phrased it wrong, but I think we're saying the same thing. Davis is quieter (IMO), and less vocal or opinionated. He doesn't seem to get as obviously passionate about stuff, or as animated as Walters. You're right that Walters is more casual, while Davis is more serious, which is along the same lines.

And that stuff matters way too much unfortunately.

I am extremely happy to report it looks like Darrel Davis is going to be Edmonds next mayor. This is a huge win for the city!

The Karen ticket didn't have the night they were expecting. Unfortunately, it looks like Edmond's own MTG is probably gonna win (Peterson).

But I'm very glad Davis pulled out a win, and it wasn't really that close. I guess science does matter in politics...

23. Default Re: Edmond City Council 2021 Elections

The Karen ticket didn't have the night they were expecting. Unfortunately, it looks like Edmond's own MTG is probably gonna win (Peterson).

But I'm very glad Davis pulled out a win, and it wasn't really that close. I guess science does matter in politics...
    So where does this leave the breakdown on the 5 council seats?

Quote Originally Posted by brianinok View Post
    So where does this leave the breakdown on the 5 council seats?
    Pending the results being certified:

Mayor: Darrell Davis (elect)
    Ward 1: David Chapman (incumbent term expires May 2023)
    Ward 2: Josh Moore (incumbent term expires May 2023)
    Ward 3: Christin Mugg (elect)
    Ward 4: Stacie Peterson (elect)

Mugg will be replacing Davis as Ward 3, and Peterson is replacing Massey. Davis, is of course replacing Dan "barely beat a dead man" O'Neil as mayor (a significant achievement for a former sundown town IMO).

On a side issue of masks, which the liberty ticket folks (Peterson, Janis, Walters) really pushed as their one ticket, the council actually shifted to where if these folks were on the council a year ago, a mandate would likely have passed 4 to 1. Luckily, I think we're past the point where a mandate is required in Edmond (even if it ended a little early).

25. Default Re: Edmond City Council 2021 Elections

Walters had some interesting ideas. Edmond would be lucky if the Arcadia area were developed into anything remotely close to the standard set in Rosemary Beach.

Thread Information