Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Edmond City Council 2021 Elections

Default Re: Edmond City Council 2021 Elections

There is a fair amount of undeveloped space in downtown Edmond. Remember, downtown Edmond isn't just the stretch along Broadway between 2nd and Ayers. There is quite a bit of space left for infill, and empty lots on Hurd and Campbell, especially between Broadway and the railroad tracks, but also between Broadway and BLVD. And if you expand to include the entire Central Urban District, you talking about a zone that's between 9th and Danforth, and between Fretz and University. Edmond is making lots of long term plans that will connect in the Stephenson park district with the downtown core, and the downtown core is getting more tightly connected to the university along Ayers. There's a real opportunity to really develop this all out as something special, and I think there's some progress already being made here. A parking garage, especially one off of the main roads (such as where the Administration Building is as has been mentioned) won't really obstruct or hinder downtown, and would be a boon for the larger events such as the arts festival, heard on hurd, and taste of edmond/libertyfest events. I know a lot of folks that avoid those events due to the lack of parking options near downtown.

An urban district hotel is also good for many of these same reasons. Hotels in the Hilton area are fine for someone's grandparents coming to town for a graduation, or for someone going to an event at the conference center, but they're not tourist centric hotels or locations. Being able to get a hotel in the CEUD and walk to restaurants, shops, museums, art galleries , and more turns Edmond from a bedroom community that you get a hotel in when you visit relatives into a feasible tourist destination. Especially with the addition of breweries and such.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    I don't think Downtown Edmond should be zoned for hotels. I don't think there is space for one. I think what we need in downtown Edmond are retail, restaurants, and entertainment. Not hotels. Where would the hotel go, do you know?

As for your last point, no, I would not see a boutique hotel going out by the current Hilton. However, that area of town would be a great place for other similar hotels that could compete with the Hilton. I'm thinking Embassy Suites, Hyatt brand hotels, etc.
    I have not looked at downtown Edmond where a hotel would. But the old dolese plant certainly has the room, or several parcels could be assembled. Thats beside the point though.

You say downtown should be for retail, restaurants and entertainment. Thats fine, but almost any place in the country that has those things in close proximity also have hotels nearby. These things typically go hand in hand, just like why you see hotels in Bricktown and Midtown OKC, and in smaller areas like the Plaza you see a prevelance of Airbnbs, and/or denser housing like apartments. You cant have retail, restaurants and entertainment and then force everyone to drive there. These places need a captive audience to thrive, thats where hotels and housing come in. But in classic Edmond NIMBY form, you say you arent against these things, but just not here. Again, that makes very little sense and prevents postive developments and vibrant districts from truly thriving.

And if there was a hotel that wanted to be along 35 near Hilton, they would do it, theres tons of empty land around there. But it appears the market isnt there for another large hotel yet. But one that differentiates themselves from Hilton and would rather be in a walkable, active area like downtonw seems like a good idea. Yet you want to prevent that. Why not let the market and competition truly be free?

The parking garage is a different argument because it would most surely require city money, but preventing private investment for a hotel just because you dont think it should be there? I dont understand this thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    I have not looked at downtown Edmond where a hotel would. But the old dolese plant certainly has the room, or several parcels could be assembled. Thats beside the point though.

You say downtown should be for retail, restaurants and entertainment. Thats fine, but almost any place in the country that has those things in close proximity also have hotels nearby. These things typically go hand in hand, just like why you see hotels in Bricktown and Midtown OKC, and in smaller areas like the Plaza you see a prevelance of Airbnbs, and/or denser housing like apartments. You cant have retail, restaurants and entertainment and then force everyone to drive there. These places need a captive audience to thrive, thats where hotels and housing come in. But in classic Edmond NIMBY form, you say you arent against these things, but just not here. Again, that makes very little sense and prevents postive developments and vibrant districts from truly thriving.

And if there was a hotel that wanted to be along 35 near Hilton, they would do it, theres tons of empty land around there. But it appears the market isnt there for another large hotel yet. But one that differentiates themselves from Hilton and would rather be in a walkable, active area like downtonw seems like a good idea. Yet you want to prevent that. Why not let the market and competition truly be free?

The parking garage is a different argument because it would most surely require city money, but preventing private investment for a hotel just because you dont think it should be there? I dont understand this thinking.
    I compare the central downtown Edmond area (Broadway heading north from 2nd street until you get to the Stephen Bruce building) and the various cross streets to the Rose District in Broken Arrow. To me these two areas are very comparable in size, both have restaurants, retail, entertainment, etc. Rose District does NOT have a hotel, but does very very well because BA has a strong marketing program which promotes their city (and IMHO Broken Arrow has better marketing than Edmond does). Are there hotels near the Rose District? No, but Broken Arrow does have the Stoney Creek Convention Center, which can be compared to the Hilton Convention Center at I-35 and Covell. But there are no hotels in the Rose District and that is a real tourist attraction. Every time I visit Broken Arrow, which is frequent, I find myself in the Rose District. Its a great happening place, especially on weekends.

Its not really a NIMBY proposition to me --- I just do not see where you would place a boutique hotel in downtown Edmond. Where would it go? I am not in favor of a developer buying up existing retail and restaurants in order to build a boutique hotel.

As for the parking garage, if the City of Edmond needs to convert its own property to a garage that is fine with me. But the Administration Building is not accessed off Broadway --- and I would be against placing a garage directly off Broadway which is what I think of when I hear about downtown Edmond.
    Last edited by jbkrems; 01-22-2021 at 04:30 PM. Reason: grammar

Anyone here knows I don’t mind supporting suburban sprawl but placing the current hotel convention center on I-35 and Covell was just stupid. Yes those roads needed to be widened anyways but let demand foster development out there. Downtown needed a shot in the arm and this would have done. Edmonds downtown is pretty much two dimensional at the moment though this is current changing.

As for the “there’s no room” comment that is absolutely comical. They can find ways to build new bus terminal in the heart Manhattan to support 1000 busses during rush hour yet downtown Edmond doesn’t have room to support a small boutique hotel?

Quote Originally Posted by pedmond View Post
    Unless Walters has changed his mind, he is against mask mandates. His views appear to be a liberty and freedom issue when it comes to masks. Back in July 2020, both Nathan and his wife spoke against a mask mandate at an Edmond City council meeting (video still up). Darrell Davis was and has been in favor of a mask mandate. Davis will get my vote for mayor since I think it's a public health issue.
    "It's my liberty to commit negligent homicide!"

I'm not normally a single issue voter, but right now I will refuse to vote for anyone that is anti-mask. It's likely a pretty good indication I wouldn't care for their other views either. Broken Arrow is laughing stock of the nation right now and has some of the worst COVID numbers in the state.

Where would the parking garage go? Would it require the City to purchase private property? How much would it cost? I do not think it would be wise to place a parking garage in the City of Edmond. Rose District in Broken Arrow is about the same as downtown Edmond, and there is no parking garage there. If there is space for additional parking lots, maybe that is something that I would support. However, not an actual parking garage.
    They should put in a garage and let the store fronts permanently take over the street parking for outdoor seating or sells. I loved in Colorado this summer where all the cities had their main streets closed to cars and all the restaurants and stores took over the street. I think Edmond should consider doing that on the weekends, like 6pm Friday through 8 pm Sunday have Broadway closed and let the restaurants take it over.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    "It's my liberty to commit negligent homicide!"

I'm not normally a single issue voter, but right now I will refuse to vote for anyone that is anti-mask. It's likely a pretty good indication I wouldn't care for their other views either. Broken Arrow is laughing stock of the nation right now and has some of the worst COVID numbers in the state.
    Broken Arrow the laughingstock of the nation? They have one of the best state senators around, Sen. Nathan Dahm --- he is a champion of our freedoms and we need more like him!

They should put in a garage and let the store fronts permanently take over the street parking for outdoor seating or sells. I loved in Colorado this summer where all the cities had their main streets closed to cars and all the restaurants and stores took over the street. I think Edmond should consider doing that on the weekends, like 6pm Friday through 8 pm Sunday have Broadway closed and let the restaurants take it over.
    Isn't Heard on Hurd kind of the same thing?

Nm

HangryHippo Guest

Broken Arrow the laughingstock of the nation? They have one of the best state senators around, Sen. Nathan Dahm --- he is a champion of our freedoms and we need more like him!
    IF you hadn’t already, you’ve lost all credibility with this horses**t.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Thanks. This really locked it in for me. Not only will I vote for Davis over Walters, this motivated me to actively campaign against the anti masked moron. And yes, it's a strong word but if someone is still pushing bad science and "personal responsibility" at this point in the pandemic they have zero business being in a position of leadership.

Is this sarcasm or are you serious? If you are serious, you being a champion for freedom yet you want to tell others what they can do with their property sure is some incompatible thinking.

Broken Arrow doesn’t have good marketing, it has a terrible reputation on a state and even national scale right now. If Edmond is going to look to a city to emulate it should look to Norman or similar. It should stay far away from anything close to resembling BA.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Is this sarcasm or are you serious? If you are serious, you being a champion for freedom yet you want to tell others what they can do with their property sure is some incompatible thinking.
    No, I'm being very serious; my inlaws live in Broken Arrow and its a great city. We visit there about once every six weeks to every other month. May move there some day to be closer to my wife's family. Sen. Dahm is a champion of freedom --- I really do think people should not be told what to do with their property. However, when a City gets involved and starts telling people what to do, or what they should do with their property, that's wrong in my opinion. Unfortunately, Edmond now has a history of that.
    Last edited by jbkrems; 01-23-2021 at 11:02 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Broken Arrow doesn’t have good marketing, it has a terrible reputation on a state and even national scale right now. If Edmond is going to look to a city to emulate it should look to Norman or similar. It should stay far away from anything close to resembling BA.
    One of the BA City Councilors owns "BA Buzz" and does a lot of marketing for their city. They also do videos about street widening projects, which is very transparent to me. I like that kind of thing and would like Edmond to emulate some of that in the future.

HangryHippo Guest

No, I'm being very serious; my inlaws live in Broken Arrow and is a great city. We visit there about once every six weeks to every other month. May move there some day to be closer to my wife's family. Sen. Dahm is a champion of freedom --- I really do think people should not be told what to do with their property. However, when a City gets involved and starts telling people what to do, or what they should do with their property, that's wrong in my opinion. Unfortunately, Edmond now has a history of that.
    Dahm is a champion of being dahm dumb.

One of the BA City Councilors owns "BA Buzz" and does a lot of marketing for their city. They also do videos about street widening projects, which is very transparent to me. I like that kind of thing and would like Edmond to emulate some of that in the future.
    The City of Edmond already does this and consistently does a great job in communicating city projects, check out their YouTube page for numerous videos.

You mention BA Buzz, Edmond's City Manager does a monthly video series over street projects and city-owned facility upgrades: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul5zndK5fBI

Not only that but Edmond has a list of every programmed street project and expanded that list by adding a map searching feature and another list dedicated to specific concrete reconstruction projects apart from asphalt resurfacing projects. I have to give credit where credit is due.

The general project list is update monthly along with the city managers report, the street projects list is updated a few times a year which really is pretty good. It’s damn near impossible to find many specifically planned street projects in Los Angeles.

The other poster is borderline trolling at this point or possibly is just very ignorant.

This has got to be extreme sarcasm right?

I'm calling in Poe's Law right now.

Also not for telling people what to do with their property, but are for not allowing a hotel in downtown? Hmm.

This has got to be extreme sarcasm right?

I'm calling in Poe's Law right now.

Also not for telling people what to do with their property, but are for not allowing a hotel in downtown? Hmm.
    No, its not sarcastic; I am very serious when I question BA being the laughingstock of the nation. BA is a great city. They have a great state senator who represents them, Sen. Nathan Dahm. I wish he was my state senator (unfortunately right now I do not have a state senator representing me).

I don't think my statement violates Poe's Law. Also, I talked with one of the ladies running for City Council, and while she would approve a parking garage downtown (not off Broadway directly), she would not agree with a hotel in downtown Edmond.

So I’m not trying to be insulting by saying this can you give me one valid reason why we should not have a hotel in downtown Edmond?

Just a casual look on Google maps shows a staggering amount of empty land in the square-mile section around downtown Edmond. How big do some people think a boutique hotel would be?

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    Just a casual look on Google maps shows a staggering amount of empty land in the square-mile section around downtown Edmond. How big do some people think a boutique hotel would be?
    Everyone who argues against certain developments always overstate how big it will be, how much noise it will bring, and how much traffic it will create and they are always unfounded or not based in reality. Its simply that they dont want to see a new building from their house, think it will bring more students to the school system (in the case of apartments) or that it will add a couple more cars to the closest intersection.

I still cant get over the fact that a) the guy who constantly gets lampooned for goofy legislation is one of the best legislators, and b) that "I love freedom but oh by the way, you cant build that there because I dont think you should." line of thinking.

Edmond provided $750,000 in a TIF for parking around the railyard and Icehouse, which is pretty pricey. A parking garage would be much more than that and really seems unnecessary at the moment imo. But a boutique hotel seems like a cool idea if a private developer proposed it. Edmond is already underserved on hotel rooms. I have yet to hear a good reason why it shouldnt happen other than "I dont think its a good place." Fortunately, Edmond city council has come a long way to ignore those nimby arguments and be more pro-growth. Not perfect but much better in recent years.

Now if Edmond can just avoid electing any vigilant anti-maskers like broken arrow. Have you seen some of their city council meetings? Yikes!

If folks want some more guidance on which candidates NOT to support...

140929080.jpg

Thread Information