Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WWLS: Dvoracek leaving?

Default WWLS: Dvoracek leaving?

Today, Dusty Dvoracek mentioned toward the end of his show that he "only had a month to go" but stopped short of saying he was leaving the station.

I've noticed that Craig Humphreys has been off the morning show quite a bit, with Mark Rodgers shifting to fill his spot.

Anyone know if Dvoracek leaving the Animal? Seems he had a pretty strong midday gig there; also seems there's some sort of feud between him and Traber..

2. Default Re: WWLS: Dvoracek leaving?

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Today, Dusty Dvoracek mentioned toward the end of his show that he "only had a month to go" but stopped short of saying he was leaving the station.

I've noticed that Craig Humphreys has been off the morning show quite a bit, with Mark Rodgers shifting to fill his spot.

Anyone know if Dvoracek leaving the Animal? Seems he had a pretty strong midday gig there; also seems there's some sort of feud between him and Traber..
    I took Dusty's comment to mean that there's a month left of college football which is what he and Trabor argue about. I hope I'm right because I'd really miss Dusty on the radio.

Default Re: WWLS: Dvoracek leaving?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I took Dusty's comment to mean that there's a month left of college football which is what he and Trabor argue about. I hope I'm right because I'd really miss Dusty on the radio.
    I agree. I really enjoy Dusty's insights. There's obviously a serious feud between him and Traber. Then again, it seems there's *always* a feud between Traber and someone.

I think what piqued my curiosity is that once he made the "one month" comment he almost immediately changed the subject. I agree that one natural interpretation is one month of football season. That said, I think he's sharp enough to know how his comment might have been interpreted and could have easily clarified it just as you suggest, but he didn't. In this case, the omission was conspicuous. He's really the only host on WWLS I've heard that will truly stand up to Traber, and it appears something happened that they haven't spoken in two years.

4. Default Re: WWLS: Dvoracek leaving?

I agree. I really enjoy Dusty's insights. There's obviously a serious feud between him and Traber. Then again, it seems there's *always* a feud between Traber and someone.

I think what piqued my curiosity is that once he made the "one month" comment he almost immediately changed the subject. I agree that one natural interpretation is one month of football season. That said, I think he's sharp enough to know how his comment might have been interpreted and could have easily clarified it just as you suggest, but he didn't. In this case, the omission was conspicuous. He's really the only host on WWLS I've heard that will truly stand up to Traber, and it appears something happened that they haven't spoken in two years.
    You could be onto something. I was afraid when Dusty started part time with ESPN that eventually he'd leave for a full time national gig. He is really good enough. If he does leave WWLS will lose by far the best personality as far as sports knowledge without drama.

You could be onto something. I was afraid when Dusty started part time with ESPN that eventually he'd leave for a full time national gig. He is really good enough. If he does leave WWLS will lose by far the best personality as far as sports knowledge without drama.

Doesn't he have a call in talk show? Why don't you just call him and ask? Or better yet, call traber and ask him.

6. Default Re: WWLS: Dvoracek leaving?

Quote Originally Posted by RustytheBailiff View Post

Doesn't he have a call in talk show? Why don't you just call him and ask? Or better yet, call traber and ask him.
    I'm really glad you put the smiley face at the end.

I'm really glad you put the smiley face at the end.
    At least three people tried that very thing with Traber and before they could get the word "Dusty" out the producer would hang up on them and cut whatever they might have said. They're being VERY touchy about whatever is going on. I mean, good heavens, its not the first time Traber's had a feud with someone. Why is this time any different from any other?

Just all seems very strange, and they do NOT want it discussed. I start pointlessly extrapolating things from subtleties like that, and it makes me wonder if Dusty's just leaving. What I didn't expand on originally was the observation that Craig Humprheys has been absent from his 9AM gig quite a bit the last month or so, and with Rodgers filling in for him. I began to think that if Dusty is leaving, perhaps Humphreys is as well, and Rodgers is just going to take the morning spot and someone else will go from 12-2.

I know the Franchise unloaded a bunch of people during the pandemic shutdowns, because they're a much smaller outfit than the Animal, but I wonder if this is part of some changes finally happening there. Purely speculation on my part. Looks to me like Dusty has a really bright media future wherever he may want to go.

I rarely listen to mid-day radio, but do enjoy Dvoracek over Traber. The only time I try to listen in on Traber's show is Fridays when he does the music quiz with (and usually loses to) Al Eschbeck.

Slightly off topic, it there a news talk show in Oklahoma City worth a listen?

I am glad this is being discussed because I noticed this today as well.

I definitely noticed Mark Rogers being gone, but Matt Ravis does a good job filling in. I hope Ravis stays on the Animal. I am a fairly young listener (in my late 20's), so he resonates to me more than most.

If Dusty is really leaving i am sure we'll hear more next week.

Quote Originally Posted by floyd the barber View Post
    I am glad this is being discussed because I noticed this today as well.

I definitely noticed Mark Rogers being gone, but Matt Ravis does a good job filling in. I hope Ravis stays on the Animal. I am a fairly young listener (in my late 20's), so he resonates to me more than most.

If Dusty is really leaving i am sure we'll hear more next week.
    See, I've listened to the Animal long enough to know when they "contrive" drama for attention. They did it about a year or so ago when the Morning Animals would put together some bit that would go after Traber in some haha way, and then Traber would, of course, respond or retaliate. Each was careful to point out that other would react on their next show, and it became evident pretty quick it was a designed scheme. A guy who used to work there once told me more there was orchestrated than you might imagine.

But this was different. Last night I saw a tweet from Dvoracek in response to someone else's comment about Traber, and his reply was "You're first mistake was listening to him in the first place." He really *went after him*. And I thought one personality on a station telling someone to not listen to someone else on the same station was really unusual. Then Dvoracek made the comments I noted, and made the "one more month" comment - but in his own show, Traber said not one thing about it. Nothing. *That's* when I knew this wasn't some "drive the listeners" stunt. There's some real, live bad blood there, and heaven knows Traber is never one to keep quiet about something. Except this.

So I think something is up, perhaps behind the scenes, and perhaps merely one of a few changes pending at the Animal. Don't know; all pure speculation on my part. And maybe Dusty's gig on Ch 9 is getting bigger, or maybe he's just tired of the radio. Who knows.

I guess we'll find out in the next few days or weeks.

11. Default Re: WWLS: Dvoracek leaving?

Quote Originally Posted by RustytheBailiff View Post
    I rarely listen to mid-day radio, but do enjoy Dvoracek over Traber. The only time I try to listen in on Traber's show is Fridays when he does the music quiz with (and usually loses to) Al Eschbeck.

Slightly off topic, it there a news talk show in Oklahoma City worth a listen?
    Friday music is about the only time I really listen to Trabor & Eschback. Trabor can really be a self-righteous, arrogant a-hole and I really can't listen to that. And Al seems to talk about his trips to chase young girls about as much as sports any more. At least in the first hour he's on and that's all I hear at all.

Friday music is about the only time I really listen to Trabor & Eschback. Trabor can really be a self-righteous, arrogant a-hole and I really can't listen to that. And Al seems to talk about his trips to chase young girls about as much as sports any more. At least in the first hour he's on and that's all I hear at all.
    A couple of years ago, Al was getting kinda gross about his "adventures" with the girls in whatever island nation he would visit, and I think it really started pushing the edge of what even the Animal would tolerate. He's toned down those discussions quite a bit since then. I had actually stopped listening for a while because it got kinda, "eeewwwww."

I try not to take Traber too seriously. His whole schtick is being the loudmouth know-it-all. Kinda like the Howard Stern of sportsradio.

I'm still trying to figure out if Dusty is leaving. Hope we hear more about this today in some measure.

13. Default Re: WWLS: Dvoracek leaving?

LOL I haven't heard Al in years being out of state but that is definitely "eeeeewww."

Trabor is filling the same niche as Randy Galloway in Ft. Worth or OKCxs own Skip Bayless formerly of ESPN and soon to be FOXSports.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    LOL I haven't heard Al in years being out of state but that is definitely "eeeeewww."

Trabor is filling the same niche as Randy Galloway in Ft. Worth or OKCxs own Skip Bayless formerly of ESPN and soon to be FOXSports.
    Exactly. Lots of people get really riled up by him, but don't realize it's part of a very calculated game. They WANT people to react to him. It works, too, because he apparently drives staggering ratings and ad revenue to the station. That's why I just don't take him that seriously. It's all (or certainly mostly) theater. I just need the background noise during the day

Well he keeps tweeting peace signs at everyone so that's not great.

https://twitter.com/DustyDvoracek/st...583571457?s=20

17. Default Re: WWLS: Dvoracek leaving?

"I'll be gone soon enough" pretty much says it all.

That’s too bad, I think Dusty is the best thing to happen to the sports animal in a long time. When he first started and his and Mark’s show overlapped with Traber for about an hour in the afternoons, I thought that was the best sports radio I’ve ever heard in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by soonermike81 View Post
    That’s too bad, I think Dusty is the best thing to happen to the sports animal in a long time. When he first started and his and Mark’s show overlapped with Traber for about an hour in the afternoons, I thought that was the best sports radio I’ve ever heard in OKC.
    I have a feeling I see some chess pieces falling into place. I had not seen Dvoracek's "I'll be gone soon enough" comment, so that definitely suggests to me he's leaving. He also has a relatively new gig on News9 (KWTV) in OKC on top of his national ESPN sports gig. The radio side of this is rapidly becoming secondary.

Now, coming out of left field, I notice that Mike Steely, who reached a mutual "parting of the ways" with Tyler Media and "The Franchise" months ago when the pandemic hit, has re-emerged on...the Tulsa Sports Animal. And I also notice (and mentioned possibly in an earlier post) that Humphreys has been on a *lot* of vacation lately.

So here's what I think is happening:

1. Dvoracek is leaving, probably at the end of the year. He has bigger TV fish to fry.
    2. Humphreys is going to retire, leaving the morning spot vacated by the late BBJ. He's been on less and less the last couple of years.
    3. Steely, his prior departure from the Animal forgiven, now returns to take over the 9AM -noon spot to be vacated by Humphrey and, shortly,
    4. Mark Rodgers takes over the noon-to-2pm spot from Dvoracek solo, or they bring in a new voice as a team member.

I hate to see Dvoracek leaving the Animal. He's much more insightful than Traber, and brings a lot of depth to his discussions even if I don't always agree with them. That's a big net loss for the Animal IMHO.

20. Default Re: WWLS: Dvoracek leaving?

^^^ I would be fine with all of that except Steely. I can't stand the stupid voices he does. If he didn't do that he'd be great mid mornings.

Dusty was a guest on today's episode of Gabe Ikard's and Teddy Lehman's podcast, The Oklahoma Breakdown. In his intro, Gabe goes "You can catch Dusty on …… and for a few more weeks, WWLS the Sports Animal." Sounds like he's gone in the new year.

Quote Originally Posted by ditm4567 View Post
    Dusty was a guest on today's episode of Gabe Ikard's and Teddy Lehman's podcast, The Oklahoma Breakdown. In his intro, Gabe goes "You can catch Dusty on …… and for a few more weeks, WWLS the Sports Animal." Sounds like he's gone in the new year.
    That's pretty much a clincher, then. That's too bad. Really enjoy him on the Animal. Gotta believe that's his choice, not WWLS.

Betting dollars to donuts Steely is coming back to the OKC area.

23. Default Re: WWLS: Dvoracek leaving?

Maybe Skip Bayless will be available by then?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Maybe Skip Bayless will be available by then?
    LOL Let's hope not.

That's pretty much a clincher, then. That's too bad. Really enjoy him on the Animal. Gotta believe that's his choice, not WWLS.

Betting dollars to donuts Steely is coming back to the OKC area.
    Unless he signed a non compete clause when he was associated with The FRANCHISE.

Thread Information