Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: December 2020 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: December 2020 - General Weather Discussion

According to Mike Morgan, KFOR's chief meteorologist, for the 1st time in recorded history, since 1891, OKC has had separate winter storms with 3"+ total snowfall within 72 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    According to Mike Morgan, KFOR's chief meteorologist, for the 1st time in recorded history, since 1891, OKC has had separate winter storms with 3"+ total snowfall within 72 hours.
    Wow, that's even longer than BC Clark's Anniversary Sale! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I'd have bet the farm that we had at least that in 1978. We had wave after wave of intense snow so bad we had at least a standing (not drifted) foot of snow in our back yard, and missed so much school we had to make it up on a Saturday. I remember Gary England saying he'd never seen a winter setup like that. The snow was so blanketing it actually made your eyes hurt to look anywhere on the horizon, because all you could see was incredibly intense *white* everywhere. I'd sure like to see the particulars on snowfall for that storm.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I'd have bet the farm that we had at least that in 1978. We had wave after wave of intense snow so bad we had at least a standing (not drifted) foot of snow in our back yard, and missed so much school we had to make it up on a Saturday. I remember Gary England saying he'd never seen a winter setup like that. The snow was so blanketing it actually made your eyes hurt to look anywhere on the horizon, because all you could see was incredibly intense *white* everywhere. I'd sure like to see the particulars on snowfall for that storm.
    I'll never forget that very unusual winter of persistent snow. Seems like it first started on New Year's Eve and then it wouldn't warm up in time to melt much for the next snow storm that seemed to happen at least once or twice every week. The sun didn't shine much. Day after day of cloudy weather. Snow stuck around and never got melted off until it was nearly March 1. Glad those winters are quite rare.

I recall that as well. At the time I had a construction company. Most of our work was outdoors. It took a few weeks to finally be able to pour concrete, etc. Also during that time, it seems I recall the wind chill temp getting down to -15 degrees or so. Brutal, brutal winter.

As I recall, there were 3 or 4 major (6-inch plus) snowstorms spaced 4-5 days apart, with intense cold between them. And yes, we had snow on the ground for weeks afterward.

Mild southerly winds continue to bring us great weather until Thursday when cold front comes through bringing along colder, north winds.

Christmas day should see a solid rebound with temperatures in the 50s.

Next storm chances look to be brewing around the 29th.

The cold front is here. Sorry, just noticed my last post said Thursday and not Wednesday.

High fire danger today and Thursday with strong north winds!

Yes it's here! I was working outside and had to stop... Too cold and blustery.

I have over 30 trees in my backyard and most were substantially blown apart by the ice storm. I got a lot done after the snow cleared but still have a ton to do, and I'm going to use the holidays to bear down and see if I can power through most of what remains.

Looks like we have another storm coming next week.

10. Default Re: December 2020 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Yes it's here! I was working outside and had to stop... Too cold and blustery.

I have over 30 trees in my backyard and most were substantially blown apart by the ice storm. I got a lot done after the snow cleared but still have a ton to do, and I'm going to use the holidays to bear down and see if I can power through most of what remains.

Looks like we have another storm coming next week.
    Somethings here because things are blowing down the street that should stay put.
    As for next week I don't get the forecasts. GFS is about the only model that goes out that far and it shows nothing happening as far as it goes which is the 2nd. I'm glad my job has nothing to do with forecasting weather.

Still lots of disagreement among the models, but it's looking more and more likely with each passing run that we're going to be getting some sort of big storm next Tuesday/Wednesday. Precipitation type is still very uncertain.

Models have been trending warmer for the last day, it now appears that most of the wintry precipitation should stay to the NW of the Metro with the next system. Most of the precipitation looks to fall on Tuesday, and there looks to be good moisture return so this should hopefully do a lot to stave off the drought, with widespread 0.5-1.0" amounts currently expected across much of the state. Next question, assuming the warmer trend continues, is whether we can manage to get any stronger storms with this as it is looking to be a fairly dynamic system. TBD on that for now.

Does not look like there will be a severe weather threat with the Tuesday system, though there should be enough instability for some rumbles of thunder. Precipitation type still looks to be predominantly rain, maybe a small amount of snow mixing in at the end if precipitation hangs around long enough on Wednesday when a colder airmass will start moving in. Still looks like a good rainmaker as well with 0.5"+ amounts expected.

^

Thank you, as always.

I'm doing my best to use the nice weather to knock out most my massive backyard cleanup project. With any luck, I'll be largely finished before that next storm hits.

15. Default Re: December 2020 - General Weather Discussion

^
    I used today to finish up the piles in the front yard to be ready for the city to do their thing and a tree service to remove the trunk and stump Monday. Should all be done but waiting on the city before the system gets here. At least tree wise I won't ever have to worry about ice again.

Anyone have any experience burning a trunk? I’m thinking of trying that out. Obviously there are YouTube tutorials and what not but I wanted to know if anyone here had firsthand experience with it.

Forecast models are taking crazy pills for this week. Will wait for some more runs tonight and tomorrow before taking any guesses on a large storm system that will impact the entire country this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Forecast models are taking crazy pills for this week. Will wait for some more runs tonight and tomorrow before taking any guesses on a large storm system that will impact the entire country this week.
    Are they trending colder? Hoping for all rain and no ice!

Tuesday/Wednesday system is still going to be almost all rain (maybe a little snow at the very end, no accumulations), but most of today's model runs have trended west with a secondary low pressure system, which could potentially give the OKC Metro some wintry precipitation on Thursday/Friday as the first system will bring a colder airmass into the area.

As Anonymous said, models have been all over the place with this secondary system, so I would fully expect more changes over the next couple of days. Going to be an active week, but should be a nice warming trend and drier/sunnier weather starting next weekend.

^^ What he said. This is going to be a big impact storm for large part of country. At this time, I expect impacts in OK to be ice, snow, and flooding.

I want to emphasize this forecast complexity is high and will change. This event has high bust potential in the winter impact categories. We will not only have extreme importance placed on the track of the low, but the temperatures during the arrival of the low will be right around the freezing mark for much of OK.

OKC Timeline
    Tonight into Tuesday: Slight rain chances with moisture riding up over the area, fog is also possible tonight into tomorrow.

Tuesday into Wednesday: High rain/storm chances with rain coming in from the NW. Followed by colder air and strong N winds.

Wednesday: A quiet and cold period while the front is pushed to our SE, but during the day - a very deep low will develop across SW TX and bring in GOM levels of moisture.

Thursday & Thursday night: Potential winter storm or bust scenario with the above mentioned low tracking somewhere near the OK/AR border. The further W of a track means more winter weather potential, and the opposite for an E track. There will likely be a sharp gradient of winter precipitation accumulations as the corridor is expected to be narrow. Like I mentioned earlier, the temperatures as the low comes up from TX will be crucial as they will begin rising from the 20s into the low 30s. There is a possibility of the surface temperatures getting above freezing to produce only rain and no winter precipitation at all.

During the winterstorm questionmark, SE OK will likely be experiencing flooding conditions with rainfall in excess of 6 inches across the event timeframe.

Here are snapshots of the latest data from Monday afternoon. This is the storm setup from the various models. Note the difference in types of precipitation (temperatures).

GFS:

NAM:

GEM:

CAN:

Yes, it appears the upcoming weather situation is difficult to gauge. So it's interesting how two chief TV weathermen from Oklahoma City have different outlooks of how the precipitation will fall and by how much by Friday. The end times are not the same, but probably don't make much difference.

Stillwater is getting 3" of both rain and snow!

Short-term models are consistently showing a fairly robust line of storms moving slowly through the Metro between about 10 p.m. and 2 a.m. tonight. We already have pretty good moisture return, and the cold front surging south this evening should provide plenty of forcing, so this general solution makes sense to me. Expect frequent lightning, localized 1”+ rainfall totals, and maybe some small hail (below severe limits).

24. Default Re: December 2020 - General Weather Discussion

Damn I hope not!
    Just playing with GFS and it shows a storm on Jan 10 followed by another on the 14th. 30 inches total of snow between now and the 14th. Please no.
    Of course its too far out to be accurate. I hope.

This is the first look at NAM's hi-def reflectivity forecast of the storm. A beautiful comma shape with heavy precipitation across all of the wet side.

Thread Information