Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Status of Ice Storm Debris Pickup

1. Default Status of Ice Storm Debris Pickup

According to the City's map ( https://www.okc.gov/home/showpublisheddocument?id=20418 ), there are 6-8 active work zones. The areas indicated as "1st Pass Complete," aren't located near the apparent start points, and there seems to be very little progress. Has anyone seen crews working?

What is the status of storm debris pickup?

Default Re: Status of Ice Storm Debris Pickup

Yes, I live near Penn Square and they cleared some of the neighboring streets.

There is a LOT to do. This is going to take months.

3. Default Re: Status of Ice Storm Debris Pickup

So if they started at what, 23/rd Western, anyone know how far out they've gotten from there yet? If they're up to Penn Square then that means the should be making fairly good progress since that's an extremely dense area to start with. I haven't seen any movement more towards the SE yet so i'm just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by dwellsokc View Post
    According to the City's map ( https://www.okc.gov/home/showpublisheddocument?id=20418 ), there are 6-8 active work zones. The areas indicated as "1st Pass Complete," aren't located near the apparent start points, and there seems to be very little progress. Has anyone seen crews working?

What is the status of storm debris pickup?
    I've seen crews working. They are going around in lines of large trucks that remind me of sandcrawlers from star wars. I've seen them working around the area of Reno and May and they have already made a pass down my street in Gatewood. Its a little hard to tell what the pattern is, but they are definitely on it.

5. Default Re: Status of Ice Storm Debris Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    I've seen crews working. They are going around in lines of large trucks that remind me of sandcrawlers from star wars. I've seen them working around the area of Reno and May and they have already made a pass down my street in Gatewood. Its a little hard to tell what the pattern is, but they are definitely on it.
    Gatewood is located at one of the Walker/23rd starting quadrants, but Reno and May is well outside the "Currently Working" blue area... Something tells me the City isn't following its own plan.

Gatewood is located at one of the Walker/23rd starting quadrants, but Reno and May is well outside the "Currently Working" blue area... Something tells me the City isn't following its own plan.
    I should rephrase that. My original post isn’t completely accurate. I’ve seen the line of trucks at the intersection of Reno and May several times on different days. Not necessarily working the area but traveling through.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    So if they started at what, 23/rd Western, anyone know how far out they've gotten from there yet? If they're up to Penn Square then that means the should be making fairly good progress since that's an extremely dense area to start with. I haven't seen any movement more towards the SE yet so i'm just curious.
    I live at 23rd and Penn and they haven't made it to us yet.

They've done pretty much all of Crown Heights, but haven't done my street yet. Hard to figure out exactly how they're deciding which streets to do or not do first.

Saw a truck one day last week with a temp logo on it with st Louis on the door on 17th just north of plaza. Only a few yards were cleared from what I can see

They picked up the branches from my yard last week and cleared all the neighbor's yards

I saw a truck at around 16th and classen. It looks like they were running branches through a shredder of sorts.

12. Default Re: Status of Ice Storm Debris Pickup

I'm hoping they aren't too anal about things like "too close to mailboxes". Our lots are narrow but deep so between a two car driveway and the brick mailbox there isn't too much room between my mailbox and the neighbors driveway. I took down a whole tree and the neighbor about half of theirs so from my mailbox to the neighbors driveway is 6 feet wide and 6 to 7 feet high all the way. I have a while to wonder being near Hefner & Council.

Nichols Hills was almost too fast, pickup started on Monday or Tuesday after the storm. I did not even have time to disassemble the 4 large trees and get them to the curb in time. Now I'm stuck with 6 truck loads full of limbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    Saw a truck one day last week with a temp logo on it with st Louis on the door on 17th just north of plaza. Only a few yards were cleared from what I can see
    In Yukon, one of the truck and trailers were from Gainesville Florida. They finished the first pass of the entire town 2 weeks ago and started the last pass yesterday.

I read yesterday that it is expected to be sometime in March before OKC proper is picked up.

16. Default Re: Status of Ice Storm Debris Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    They've done pretty much all of Crown Heights, but haven't done my street yet. Hard to figure out exactly how they're deciding which streets to do or not do first.
    I live in Crown Heights too. Some streets were cleared a few weeks ago, but there seems to have been absolutely no more activity since then. I understand that it's a mammoth task, and it'll be months before it's completed, but something seems to be wrong with the City's plan. Are they following their plan, or flexing it to quiet the squeakiest wheels?

Nothing so far here in Military Park despite being in the alleged focus zone. I did see a truck in Central Park over a week ago, but that's about it.

I live in Crown Heights too. Some streets were cleared a few weeks ago, but there seems to have been absolutely no more activity since then. I understand that it's a mammoth task, and it'll be months before it's completed, but something seems to be wrong with the City's plan. Are they following their plan, or flexing it to quiet the squeakiest wheels?
    They picked our yard up on Tuesday fortunately.

They made some progress between 18th & 20th just west of Classen yesterday.

I saw the truck on the other side of my neighborhood. Sadly it doesn't look like they crossed into mine and went towards classen.

21. Default Re: Status of Ice Storm Debris Pickup

Yesterday afternoon there was a big truck with a big claw picking up storm debris on N Meridian between NW 23 and NW 30 about 4PM. It was being followed by a City of OKC service truck. This area isn't anywhere near where the map shows them working.

The staging area for the cleanup crews is at the fairgrounds. There are over a hundred of those "sandcrawer" from Starwars like trailers parked yesterday. They were in my area a week or two ago, they picked up the larger piles but left the smaller ones behind. I guess the second pass is where they get what's left.

The good news is that they picked up my pile today (near 50 Penn Place).

The bad news is that claw thing tore the crap out of my lawn.

24. Default Re: Status of Ice Storm Debris Pickup

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The good news is that they picked up my pile today (near 50 Penn Place).

The bad news is that claw thing tore the crap out of my lawn.
    I'm sure if the claw operators aren't really good and/or careful tearing up lawns would be easy to do. Hopefully most operators care.

I'll take some photos and post them tomorrow.

Pretty brutal.

Thread Information