Widgets Magazine

Thread: Artificial ski slope

Boathouse District Artificial ski slope

Press release:

RIVERSPORT to Add Snow Skiing, Snow Boarding
    Inasmuch Foundation grant funds new ‘Ski OKC’

OKLAHOMA CITY – (November 24, 2020) RIVERSPORT announced today it is bringing alpine skiing and snowboarding to Oklahoma City with a new indoor slope, Ski OKC. The new experience is being made possible through a grant from Inasmuch Foundation and will open in late spring, 2021.

Ski OKC **will feature an infinite, articulating ski slope and will be installed inside RIVERSPORT’s Whitewater Center. Ski OKC will be included in Xtreme day and season passes which will be offered at 50% off on Black Friday. Single experience passes will also be available as well as lessons and camps.

“Inasmuch Foundation is a proud supporter of RIVERSPORT Foundation’s efforts to provide numerous activities for our entire community to enjoy,” said Bob Ross, president and CEO of Inasmuch Foundation. “The new indoor ski experience offers yet another adventure at the Boathouse District, but more importantly, it’s bringing a life experience to our underserved youth who may never have the opportunity to ski or snowboard.”

“RIVERSPORT will be the first place in the world you can snow ski, surf and whitewater raft all in one location,” said RIVERSPORT Executive Director Mike Knopp. “Ski OKC will be open to passholders throughout the season, and we’ll offer ski and snowboard lessons. In the fall we’ll offer additional sessions for people to brush up on their skills before they head out on their annual ski trip.”

“We’re also looking forward to incorporating skiing and snowboarding into our Youth Outreach programs. So many Oklahoma City kids would never get a chance to whitewater raft or surf – or ski – but now they can do it right here,” Knopp said. “This is about ensuring all kids have access to outdoor experiences, even if we’re doing some of them indoors!”

The indoor ski simulator is covered in a specially-developed artificial ski grass called PoleSnow®. The low-friction fibers are misted with water to create a feeling similar to real snow. RIVERSPORT’s simulator will also have a quick inclination system which allows the slope to go from a Blue ski run to the equivalent of a Black run in seconds. An added ramp offers the opportunity to practice jumps and a projected ski course offers slalom practice. Advanced augmented reality capabilities ensure the experience will continue to expand as technology advances.

“Our Inasmuch grant supports RIVERSPORT Foundation’s Thrive Outside initiative to remove barriers,” Ross said. “I hope other organizations and even individuals will join the Thrive effort by buying RIVERSPORT passes or sponsoring groups of kids. It’s all about the collective impact we can have in opening doors for our underserved youth.”

RIVERSPORT season passes are 50% off during the holidays and include two free day passes that can be used by family and friends. Passes can be purchased online at riversportokc.org.

Located in Oklahoma City, RIVERSPORT offers a wide range of outdoor adventure and Olympic sports experiences including rowing, kayaking, whitewater rafting, surfing, biking, sailing, an 80 ft. tall adventure course, high speed slides and zip lines. It is operated by the RIVERSPORT Foundation, a 501(c)3 organization, and all proceeds benefit the organization’s nonprofit outreach initiatives.

Blog Entries

Boathouse District Re: Artificial ski slope

3. Default Re: Artificial ski slope

Wow! Until about 3 years ago I'd have been all over this!

Default Re: Artificial ski slope

I have it on good word that they will enhance the experience by mandating that skiers sit in a stationary ski lift for approximately 10 minutes first.

Ugh. Ski OKC? Why not OKSki?

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Brian Regan would agree with you...
    https://youtu.be/IcMPWYIVkxM

There's a place in Warsaw that already has that name.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    There's a place in Warsaw that already has that name.
    ha! i'm glad i wasn't the only person thinking this.

I like this!

Darn, I was picturing the artificial ski slope like they have in Dubai... I bet that's out of the city's budget though...lol

Blog Entries

They received a 200K grant for it

Yeah, that was my initial thought too. Would be super cool to have an actual indoor ski slope here.

13. Default Re: Artificial ski slope

So are they planning on enclosing the "point" of the building for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    Darn, I was picturing the artificial ski slope like they have in Dubai... I bet that's out of the city's budget though...lol
    there was a plan for one like Dubai in grand Prairie but i was canx last December

There was a ski shop on north May about 30 years ago that had something similar to this. It was just a carpeted slope on rollers with an electric motor. I took my first ski lesson on it. I think it was called Ski Haus Sports.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    there was a plan for one like Dubai in grand Prairie but i was canx last December
    Casualty of COVID? I know COVID was just getting started that time so maybe not.

Shame it was a beautiful proposal and I figured DFW would support it.

COVID wasn’t even known yet then.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    COVID wasn’t even known yet then.
    My phone kept crashing but here is a timeline from WHO: https://www.who.int/emergencies/dise...as-they-happen

I remember hearing about this virus in December of 2019 but it was only in China and it wasn’t taken that serious yet.

Blog Entries

This opened today, there's pics and video on the mayor's twitter.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    This opened today, there's pics and video on the mayor's twitter.
    This is a fun amenity and glad to have it, but I can't help thinking its scale and impressiveness is somewhere along the lines of the ferris wheel in Bricktown. Better than a carnival, but not much.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    This is a fun amenity and glad to have it, but I can't help thinking its scale and impressiveness is somewhere along the lines of the ferris wheel in Bricktown. Better than a carnival, but not much.
    +1

It has a gimmicky feel. The earlier MAPS projects had a clear vision and reasonably obvious ROIs, but the street car and deals like this seem much more speculative.

Yeah I'm gonna have to agree this is pretty damn unimpressive. Would have been nice if they went for something bigger like this. I used to live near the ski slope in the picture I attached and it was pretty damn fun. Especially because it's in a tropical climate although it was pretty expensive about $30 which is a lot for the country I lived in. I kind hope this can be expanded so it's something that's actually a cool attraction rather than a gimmick.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	csm_Indoor_Snow_with_TechnoAlpin_S6_503b329f21.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	12.4 KB 
ID:	16873

Blog Entries

So there's the Surf OKC, and don't we have something similar with the Flowrider: Scratching my head with confusion, or are these one in the same.

Surf OKC or SKI OKC do we have two different projects planned...

Okay, I'm a little confused. This his the surf. Somewhere I got confused with a site I was on that had a large ski type operation.

Thread Information