Widgets Magazine

Thread: Firewood recommendations?

Default Firewood recommendations?

We burned through the majority of our firewood during the power outage and I'm looking to buy a rick for this winter. The gentleman who I've bought from the last couple of years has moved out of state. Does anyone have any recommendations? I would need it delivered.

Default Re: Firewood recommendations?

I've contacted a few people on Craigslist but am not getting any responses. Hoping someone here has a recommendation.

Get a truck and drive around the older neighborhoods in OKC that have large trees that are now at the curb. There is firewood all over the place. I have seen a few people out picking up wood.

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    Get a truck and drive around the older neighborhoods in OKC that have large trees that are now at the curb. There is firewood all over the place. I have seen a few people out picking up wood.
    Anything freshly felled will need to season for like 6-24 months before you burn it, otherwise you risk a lot of flammable buildup in your chimney. Or at least that's what the experts say.

Facebook Marketplace always has around 20-40 people selling wood.

Like said above. It's laying cut up all around town, to be hauled off to the dump. Just go out and help with the clean up process, and save yourself some cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Like said above. It's laying cut up all around town, to be hauled off to the dump. Just go out and help with the clean up process, and save yourself some cash.
    As Big Sully noted, to burn right, wood needs to be "aged" because freshly cut wood is full of sap and water, so it won't burn well and therefore won't produce the desired heat. There are also several species of wood you should avoid burning because they don't produce much heat but do produce a lot of smoke, including Spruce, Poplar, Willow, A lot of people also surprisingly burn poison wood, much to their detriment.

Have no idea if they’re sold out, but Lowes and Home Depot usually carries pallets of firewood throughout the year.

Thread Information