Widgets Magazine

Thread: Saffron

Default Saffron

On 36th and portland there's an Indian/Szechuan place called Saffron. Not buffet style indian. Easily top 2 indian place I've had in the OKC/Norman/Edmond area. They also run the india bazaar next door.

Default Re: Saffron

I tried this place on their second day open and I've been back several times since it's so close. It's easily the best in my opinion. I haven't been into the bazaar yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    On 36th and portland there's an Indian/Szechuan place called Saffron. Not buffet style indian. Easily top 2 indian place I've had in the OKC/Norman/Edmond area. They also run the india bazaar next door.
    What's the other place, if you wouldn't mind sharing? I'm going to try takeout from this one soon and normally Sheesh Mahal is my go-to but curious if there's another place I've overlooked.

We drove by here a couple of weeks ago, and wondered about it. These reviews give me pause, though.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/saffron-cui...klahoma-city-2

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    What's the other place, if you wouldn't mind sharing? I'm going to try takeout from this one soon and normally Sheesh Mahal is my go-to but curious if there's another place I've overlooked.
    Mount everest in edmond. I thought sheesh mahal was a pakistani place?

Sheesh's sign says (or used to say) Pakistani and Indian food, although I believe they lean more Pakistani than Indian.

It is Pakistani/Indian. And thanks, will have to try Mount Everest sometime as well

We tried Saffron today as we were looking for something different and not a buffet. I usually do the good the bad and the ugly on reviews.

The Good: We ordered Chicken Kadahl curry, Garlic Nan and Chicken Kheema Samosa, There are four levels of spicy and we picked the spicy versus the extra spicy. It was the right amount of heat that left a little heat in our mouths after eating. The curry had ample amounts of chicken and peppers in it and was the right consistency to scoop up with the Nan. The Garlic Nan was crispy on the outside and soft inside. The garlic was flavorful but not overpowering, The piece is huge. The samosas came three to an order and were very large. I was expecting them to be either very airy or very bready because they were so large. To our surprise, they were neither and were stuffed with ground chicken and delightful spices. It is served with a green minty sauce that complimented the samosas perfectly. Like the garlic, the mint was there but not overpowering. My friend and I shared the one appetizer and the one entree and we still had leftovers to take home.

They are very efficient in their order taking. Everything is on an easy to navigate ipad with pictures and can order directly from kiosk. There is a screen showing your order status and you pick up at counter. The young lady behind the counter helped us as it was our first time and didn't realize you could do all of it ourselves.

The Bad (and I am going to throw the Ugly in here together as there wasn't anything really bad or ugly). Everything is self serve and they use all paper and plastic. Even the to go containers are put on the counter to just grab yourself. Would have made it easier for us if they expanded the ipad ordering system to include an actual description of the entree instead of just a small 1 inch by 1 inch picture. No alcohol that I could see. A nice glass of Rose' would go well with what we had.

We had two bottled waters and our tab was 28.24. No place to add tip on credit card processing. Not sure this is a place you would tip anyway as it is completely self serve. This will be added into our rotation as it was excellent food and an excellent value. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saffron.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	17857Click image for larger version. 

Name:	saffrom.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	17858

^

Thanks for the detailed review.

I'm going to try this place soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Thanks for the detailed review.

I'm going to try this place soon.
    If you go to their website (they are a franchise) and look at the menu there....it has a little more of an explanation of the dishes if not familiar with the cuisine. https://desibites.com/welcome

I'll have to check it out, still mourning the loss of Tandoor on Reno
    Sheesh Mahal is my go-to nowadays, tried Taj again this week and its fine just not the same.

^^
    Tandoor was fantastic! Used to love Taj and Sheesh Mahal is good. I encourage you to try Sizzle and Spice up on North May sometime, we were very pleased.

Going to have to give Saffron a try!

Quote Originally Posted by BridgeBurner View Post
    I'll have to check it out, still mourning the loss of Tandoor on Reno
    Sheesh Mahal is my go-to nowadays, tried Taj again this week and its fine just not the same.
    I have not had sheesh mahal but my friend that was with me goes there often. He said that this will be in his rotation also along with SM as he said it was different

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    ^^
    Tandoor was fantastic! Used to love Taj and Sheesh Mahal is good. I encourage you to try Sizzle and Spice up on North May sometime, we were very pleased.

Going to have to give Saffron a try!
    o man when did Tandoor close?? i loved that place ..

Thought I'd drop in an update. Manna I think has the best food. Saffron is my favorite though cause of taking wait time into account. If you can plan out being hungry in 2-3 hours and it isn't an issue the food at Manna is better. I can't plan that far ahead though

Thread Information