Widgets Magazine

Thread: Proud Moment in America?

Default Proud Moment in America?

I'm weary of so much animosity in political discourse on social media and/or TV right now. While we must be honest with the state of affairs of our county -it would also be healthy to recall moments in America where, collectively, there was a sense of pride. In your lifetime, can you recall a time when you were really proud of America?

For me, the entire space program to the moon and back, happened when I was a kid but I remember feeling so proud of what we accomplished!

And you?

Default Re: Proud Moment in America?

Miracle on Ice, 1980 Olympics.

Just watched a documentary on this and forgot what an incredible upset it was and how the whole country buzzed about it long after.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Just watched a documentary on this and forgot what an incredible upset it was and how the whole country buzzed about it long after.
    YES! That was a great moment!! Great reminder!

4. Default Re: Proud Moment in America?

Probably mine too. Plus I needed a pick me up about then. We watched it in the St Anthony ICU waiting room. Dad had been there since about the 1st of November 1979.

In a similar vein, Landon Donovan's stoppage time goal against Algeria to send the U.S. through to the knockout stages of the 2010 World Cup was just wonderful. This video showing the celebrations across the country and world is maybe my favorite YouTube video of all time.

Both of the U.S.'s recent victories in the Women's World Cup were great as well. I'm too young to really remember their 1999 win, but I believe that probably had even more significance at the time.

6. Default Re: Proud Moment in America?

On a more Oklahoma vs national note. The days or few weeks after the Murrah Building bombing. Organizers were overwhelmed with donations of gloves, water, etc. for the rescue/recovery workers. I worked for the Kerr-McGee R&D lab at the time and they shut down business for a time to use the building for Tower employees, others that needed counseling and collection of donations for the rescue/recovery effort. The blood bank collection centers had LONG lines of people to donate blood. I was very proud to call OKC my home.

It's a tie between the lunar landing and beating the Soviets in 1980. Being a hockey fan made it that much better and the cold war was still a thing. Many folks though don't realize that the game was not for the gold medal that we won in the next game.

if you can ever find it. there is a documentary called "the Forgotten Miracle" about the 1960's US Olympic hockey team and how the Soviet coach actually came into the US coaches office and told them how to beat Czechoslovakia in their final game, because if the US lost, then the Czechs would have finished hirer than the Soviet team, and how that wasn't acceptable at all.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    In a similar vein, Landon Donovan's stoppage time goal against Algeria to send the U.S. through to the knockout stages of the 2010 World Cup was just wonderful. This video showing the celebrations across the country and world is maybe my favorite YouTube video of all time.

Both of the U.S.'s recent victories in the Women's World Cup were great as well. I'm too young to really remember their 1999 win, but I believe that probably had even more significance at the time.
    Being a big fan of the sport, there is nothing like the suddenness and significance of a big goal.

Precisely because there is so little scoring and so much constant frustration does a big strike release energy and emotion like nothing else in sports.

I've seen several big English matches in person -- both in stadiums and pubs -- and it's really something that has to be experienced to appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    It's a tie between the lunar landing and beating the Soviets in 1980. Being a hockey fan made it that much better and the cold war was still a thing. Many folks though don't realize that the game was not for the gold medal that we won in the next game.
    There was even a scenario that if we had lost that final game, we wouldn't have medaled at all.

It was a round-robin competition and the Soviets still could have taken the gold had we lost.

Being a big fan of the sport, there is nothing like the suddenness and significance of a big goal.

Precisely because there is so little scoring and so much constant frustration does a big strike release energy and emotion like nothing else in sports.

I've seen several big English matches in person -- both in stadiums and pubs -- and it's really something that has to be experienced to appreciate.
    Agree with all of this, and the level of community that is involved in soccer fandom is something that's basically limited to that sport as well as college football, which is why they are my two favorite sports. Some of my favorite memories are the two times I traveled up to Tulsa with a group of friends to see the Energy play the Roughnecks (now FC Tulsa). I won't pretend that the USL is particularly high-level soccer, but it was still a very fun experience.

Yes, many parallels between college football and soccer.

Most significantly are the ties to the teams that go well beyond someone liking the Dallas Cowboys because they watch them on TV they used to win a lot.

Fever Pitch remains one of my favorite books of all time and inadvertently turned me into a huge Arsenal fan (been to see them play several times).

13. Default Re: Proud Moment in America?

When John McCain told the the lady who said she couldn't trust Obama because he was an Arab that Obama was "a decent family man" with whom he just disagreed on fundamental issues.

We have descended into a horrible era of bipartisanship and tribalism since that time.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIjenjANqAk

Good post topic, I'm ready for some change come November.

When I watched the last dance biography with Michael Jordan and thinking back to the Dream Team days and the Chicago Bulls era.

I remember it as being positive time.

There was some nation wide celebration when, years ago, 'baby Jessica' was rescued from an abandoned well. For 3 days we all watched as the rescue took place.

Thread Information