Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OKCPD Ignoring Expired Vehicle Temporary Paper Tags ???

Default OKCPD Ignoring Expired Vehicle Temporary Paper Tags ???

I’m amazed at the number of expired vehicle temporary paper tags that I see
    on a daily basis. How is this going unnoticed by the OKCPD ?
    They have really stepped up the issuance of speeding tickets in
    the area of NW 150th and May. I regularly see their unmarked silver
    Explorer and Taurus in the area. Do speeding tickets generate more income
    than an expired tag and mostly likely lack of insurance fines ?

Default Re: OKCPD Ignoring Expired Vehicle Temporary Paper Tags ???

They need to do away with using unmarked cars for traffic enforcement. That is nothing but a double tax on citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC_1990 View Post
    I’m amazed at the number of expired vehicle temporary paper tags that I see
    on a daily basis. How is this going unnoticed by the OKCPD ?
    They have really stepped up the issuance of speeding tickets in
    the area of NW 150th and May. I regularly see their unmarked silver
    Explorer and Taurus in the area. Do speeding tickets generate more income
    than an expired tag and mostly likely lack of insurance fines ?
    They have been working 150th between may and MacArthur quite heavily. I have a neighbor who got a ticket for going like 3 over. They just sit and watch in somewhat hidden spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    They need to do away with using unmarked cars for traffic enforcement. That is nothing but a double tax on citizens.
    I'd like to see unmarked cars working intersections to pick up red light runners. I don't see too much red light running anymore, but for a while it was a huge epidemic.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    I'd like to see unmarked cars working intersections to pick up red light runners. I don't see too much red light running anymore, but for a while it was a huge epidemic.
    I still see this regularly and it’s infuriating. NW Expressway and Portland is a bad intersection for it.

6. Default Re: OKCPD Ignoring Expired Vehicle Temporary Paper Tags ???

Next time at a light just look at how many regular tags are expired. I see some expired for over 6 months on a regular basis.

My elderly parents, at a point before they passed away, were getting out and driving 4 - 5 times a week for various things. I visited their house and noticed my Dad's license plate out of date by 3 years as was his inspection sticker.

HangryHippo Guest

We were just commenting on this yesterday. The paper tags are months old and we’re seeing it all over town.

I often see cars driving around the outskirts with no tags at all.

I often see cars driving around the outskirts with no tags at all.
    I think there was a change in Oklahoma law last year that made the license plate the "property" of the vehicle owner, rather than the vehicle. In other words-the tag doesn't stay on the car when it is sold, the seller is to remove the tag and place on their replacement vehicle. They are supposed to notify the State by mail, or the tag agent, when selling an "old" or registering a "new to them" vehicle.

The flip side of that is that a person who buys a vehicle and does not have a license plate in their possession can legally drive the vehicle with no tag until they register it, IIRC.

California used to have it where you didn’t have to have tags on the car for 30 days but too many people were running tolls with no way for the state to try and get reimbursed for the toll evasion so they passed a law a year or so ago that requires temporary tags.

OKC and other Oklahoma metros have been working with a company setting cameras in fixed locations and in mobile locations around the metro to scan license plates and compare them against a state database of vehicles with insurance. This started in 2018 and no local media outlet seems to have followed this. The Enid News & Eagle did some bang-up reporting in March 2020 as about two years later, the prosecutor in charge is starting to refer some individuals for criminal prosecution.

The paper claims the company had thus far flagged 14,000 uninsured drivers and generated over $2MM in fees.

It wouldn't be difficult for the State to mandate tags be displayed, and then contract with this same company to identify drivers with unpaid taxes. In fact, it seems a no-brainer.

https://www.enidnews.com/oklahoma/fi...b3e8b6ed1.html

Hopefully Oklahoma soon ends this camera based automated enforcement. I am hopeful we’ll see a bill banning this stupid practice.

It's a great practice which leads to safer roads and more income for the State. It's a win all around.

There have certainly been issues in other states with red-light cameras and companies willing to tweak their technology so that it produces false positives. You are supposed to stop at a yellow light if you are able to safely do so. That requires a number of subjective factors which a camera alone couldn't fairly be expected to capture.

Less so for insurance/tax issues. The only question there is whether the driver was operating a vehicle on a public roadway and had failed to properly insure or tag the vehicle.

There are valid privacy concerns of course as these cameras could be able to help determine the position of a vehicle on a roadway relative to the time of a crime being committed, but most Americans carry around phones with them which do that anyway, so that's not altogether a completely valid concern.

Oh look, an attorney who supports practices that lead to more court cases. Shocker.

16. Default Re: OKCPD Ignoring Expired Vehicle Temporary Paper Tags ???

Oh look, an attorney who supports practices that lead to more court cases. Shocker.
    Breaking the law leads to more court cases. Those of us that don't run red lights have no reason to be concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Breaking the law leads to more court cases. Those of us that don't run red lights have no reason to be concerned.
    Utter simplistic talking viewpoint you just spewed but okay.

A couple observations:

Re; insurance scanning company, I recall the contractor got a fair amount of local media scrutiny when it first began because of some system failure that resulted in many people getting notices/tickets in the mail claiming no insurance, when in fact they did have insurance. I'm guessing most of those problems got worked out, since I don't read or see much about the scanner cars lately.

Re: license plates. Appears the State is moving away from using license plates to verify ownership and insurance coverage. When they changed the law so that the license plate goes with the owner, rather than the vehicle, it appears to me that they have given some grace period to people driving with no license plate. Some people will abuse that by driving with no tag, not changing the registration on the vehicle, and hoping the seller never notifies the State. If the sell does not notify the State, or does not get a replacement vehicle, then who knows how long a person could drive around with no tag.

I don't even know an attorney who practices in traffic court. My cost would far excede that of the ticket.

I explained above that I'm more skeptical about red light cameras. I don't support those as the standard for whether the driver could have safely stopped is not objectively ascertainable. At least not by a camera. Of course, as an attorney, I can speak directly to the issue of uninsured and underinsured drivers wiping out the finances and health of the folks they injure, kill, and maim. I can't imagine why anyone would take the side of uninsured drivers in any policy debate.

If you get a ticket in the mail citing you for no insurance, it is a very simple matter to prove you were insured. You shouldn't need a lawyer for that.

This link will explain your responsibilty when purchasing private or dealer. It answers all the ?'s posed.

Oklahoma Tax Commission - Keep Tag OK
    https://www.ok.gov/tax/Individuals/M...p_Tag_OK_.html

I work with someone that didn’t get a plate, and I assume didn’t pay taxes on a newly purchased BMW for at least 3 years. Ended up buying a new car, not sure he ever paid those taxes. I’d assume you’d have to to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    A couple observations:

Re; insurance scanning company, I recall the contractor got a fair amount of local media scrutiny when it first began because of some system failure that resulted in many people getting notices/tickets in the mail claiming no insurance, when in fact they did have insurance. I'm guessing most of those problems got worked out, since I don't read or see much about the scanner cars lately.

Re: license plates. Appears the State is moving away from using license plates to verify ownership and insurance coverage. When they changed the law so that the license plate goes with the owner, rather than the vehicle, it appears to me that they have given some grace period to people driving with no license plate. Some people will abuse that by driving with no tag, not changing the registration on the vehicle, and hoping the seller never notifies the State. If the sell does not notify the State, or does not get a replacement vehicle, then who knows how long a person could drive around with no tag.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post
    I work with someone that didn’t get a plate, and I assume didn’t pay taxes on a newly purchased BMW for at least 3 years. Ended up buying a new car, not sure he ever paid those taxes. I’d assume you’d have to to sell.
    Nope, you don't have to catch up the taxes and they don't follow the car to the new owner,

As for a private sale... Now you keep your tag and the new owner gets 5 days with a bill of sale to get a new tag.

24. Default Re: OKCPD Ignoring Expired Vehicle Temporary Paper Tags ???

Not registering the car is a gamble. You may get away with something, and then again you may not. Get pulled over and pay the ticket and you're looking at a good chunk of the cost of the tag. If its a used car, you might just be paying the full price. When I purchased a new car in March, it was right at a month before the title got to me for me to be able to get my plates registered to the new car. But the tag agent didn't look/verify any dates on the paperwork. So it could have been a year later for all i know, and it wouldn't have changed anything. But again, that's a gamble that i'm not going to get pulled over.

Now for renewals, that's a different story. Since you're already in the system, i believe you do have to true-up for back owed dollars. I don't know if that story about if you just never do it and sell the car, is true. Somehow i feel that's still illegal but again you're gambling they won't catch up with you.

Just do what you're supposed to. Register your dang car. Remember, the taxes/dollars you pay, help fund things we use. So if you aren't paying (or someone you know isn't), then you're not doing your part. It's like congratulating a billionaire for not paying taxes. Yeah, congrats, you jipped the police/fire dept/schools/military/social services/and everyone else that's funded by those dollars. You're a real gem (sarcasm).

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Not registering the car is a gamble. You may get away with something, and then again you may not. Get pulled over and pay the ticket and you're looking at a good chunk of the cost of the tag. If its a used car, you might just be paying the full price. When I purchased a new car in March, it was right at a month before the title got to me for me to be able to get my plates registered to the new car. But the tag agent didn't look/verify any dates on the paperwork. So it could have been a year later for all i know, and it wouldn't have changed anything. But again, that's a gamble that i'm not going to get pulled over.

Now for renewals, that's a different story. Since you're already in the system, i believe you do have to true-up for back owed dollars. I don't know if that story about if you just never do it and sell the car, is true. Somehow i feel that's still illegal but again you're gambling they won't catch up with you.

Just do what you're supposed to. Register your dang car. Remember, the taxes/dollars you pay, help fund things we use. So if you aren't paying (or someone you know isn't), then you're not doing your part. It's like congratulating a billionaire for not paying taxes. Yeah, congrats, you jipped the police/fire dept/schools/military/social services/and everyone else that's funded by those dollars. You're a real gem (sarcasm).
    I was wondering about the taxes involved, we already pay tax on the gasoline we use, which is directly correlated to our actual use of roads, except for the gas I use to run my mower which I have to use to appease the city so I don't get a fine, so why do we have to continue paying taxes for a vehicle after the first year it is registered? I know the amount of tax paid steps down over time of ownership, but I just don't see why I am taxed for just having a vehicle plus being taxed for the gas I use in it.

Thread Information