Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OKCPD Ignoring Expired Vehicle Temporary Paper Tags ???

Default Re: OKCPD Ignoring Expired Vehicle Temporary Paper Tags ???

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Not registering the car is a gamble. You may get away with something, and then again you may not. Get pulled over and pay the ticket and you're looking at a good chunk of the cost of the tag. If its a used car, you might just be paying the full price. When I purchased a new car in March, it was right at a month before the title got to me for me to be able to get my plates registered to the new car. But the tag agent didn't look/verify any dates on the paperwork. So it could have been a year later for all i know, and it wouldn't have changed anything. But again, that's a gamble that i'm not going to get pulled over.

Now for renewals, that's a different story. Since you're already in the system, i believe you do have to true-up for back owed dollars. I don't know if that story about if you just never do it and sell the car, is true. Somehow i feel that's still illegal but again you're gambling they won't catch up with you.

Just do what you're supposed to. Register your dang car. Remember, the taxes/dollars you pay, help fund things we use. So if you aren't paying (or someone you know isn't), then you're not doing your part. It's like congratulating a billionaire for not paying taxes. Yeah, congrats, you jipped the police/fire dept/schools/military/social services/and everyone else that's funded by those dollars. You're a real gem (sarcasm).
    Oh I wasn't praising the dude at all. What's more irritating is that he makes around $700k a year and couldn't pay the measly $3k in TT&L that we all pay. I don't recall what his wife's car was but it didn't have tags either. I think he was just trying to look like Steve Jobs, he also wore a "uniform" everyday.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    I was wondering about the taxes involved, we already pay tax on the gasoline we use, which is directly correlated to our actual use of roads, except for the gas I use to run my mower which I have to use to appease the city so I don't get a fine, so why do we have to continue paying taxes for a vehicle after the first year it is registered? I know the amount of tax paid steps down over time of ownership, but I just don't see why I am taxed for just having a vehicle plus being taxed for the gas I use in it.
    Gas tax already doesn't cover the entire road budget, and this is going to become more of a problem over time as more and more people switch to electric vehicles.

3. Default Re: OKCPD Ignoring Expired Vehicle Temporary Paper Tags ???

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Gas tax already doesn't cover the entire road budget, and this is going to become more of a problem over time as more and more people switch to electric vehicles.
    Isn’t there an electric vehicle tax already? I’m sure that will just be raised.

Vehicles are constantly getting better gas mileage along with Electric becoming more common. We need to switch to a mileage tax model and get away from a tax based on fuel consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    Vehicles are constantly getting better gas mileage along with Electric becoming more common. We need to switch to a mileage tax model and get away from a tax based on fuel consumption.
    Mileage and vehicle weight both.

Here's a bit of info.

We bought a new car last month, from a large Tulsa dealer. We still don't have the title. Their title clerk office has, apparently, their *entire* staff out with COVD. They've already told us that local law enforcement is giving a lot of leeway with temporary tags expiring because more than a few dealers, banks, and related offices are behind for the same reason. We already received an extended temporary tag. No effort to dodge any taxes or fees; but I can't register the vehicle without a title.

As a side-note, almost the exact same story was relayed to me by a friend who bought a Hertz bankruptcy sell-off vehicle; month-plus delay in getting the title and extended temporary tag was issued.

7. Default Re: OKCPD Ignoring Expired Vehicle Temporary Paper Tags ???

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post
    Oh I wasn't praising the dude at all. What's more irritating is that he makes around $700k a year and couldn't pay the measly $3k in TT&L that we all pay. I don't recall what his wife's car was but it didn't have tags either. I think he was just trying to look like Steve Jobs, he also wore a "uniform" everyday.
    Sorry if you thought that was directed at you. "you" was meant more generally as "one", i should say.

8. Default Re: OKCPD Ignoring Expired Vehicle Temporary Paper Tags ???

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post
    I work with someone that didn’t get a plate, and I assume didn’t pay taxes on a newly purchased BMW for at least 3 years. Ended up buying a new car, not sure he ever paid those taxes. I’d assume you’d have to to sell.
    I used to run into a guy at my favorite haunts that was a master at somehow talking his way into cars he couldn't possibly afford. Like Mercedes AMGs and such. Then he would drive them for months with the paper tags. It really ticked me off that someone would do that.

A lot of supercar owners don't run a tag at all, like even paper ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    A lot of supercar owners don't run a tag at all, like even paper ones.
    Special treatment and privlage concerning enforcement of the laws? Shocked I tell you, shocked.

I think many supercar owners tag their cars out of Montana, IIRC.

12. Default Re: OKCPD Ignoring Expired Vehicle Temporary Paper Tags ???

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Special treatment and privlage concerning enforcement of the laws? Shocked I tell you, shocked.
    At least we don't have front license plates. The scourge of making my hobby cars looks like crap

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I think many supercar owners tag their cars out of Montana, IIRC.
    Still illegal if you are a resident of OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Still illegal if you are a resident of OK.
    Out of state plate? How is it illegal if you have a registrable address in Montana? So if you’re a resident of Oklahoma and you have multiple homes in other states, say Alaska, you have to have Oklahoma tags? That doesn’t make sense.

15. Default Re: OKCPD Ignoring Expired Vehicle Temporary Paper Tags ???

Out of state plate? How is it illegal if you have a registrable address in Montana? So if you’re a resident of Oklahoma and you have multiple homes in other states, say Alaska, you have to have Oklahoma tags? That doesn’t make sense.
    I believe you have to register your car in the state you live in the most days of the year and have a license in.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    I believe you have to register your car in the state you live in the most days of the year and have a license in.
    I thought there was a loophole somehow that allows people to register expensive cars in Montana but they live in other states. Not sure how it’s done but I definitely know people that do it.

I thought there was a loophole somehow that allows people to register expensive cars in Montana but they live in other states. Not sure how it’s done but I definitely know people that do it.
    Was curious about this because I've never heard of it, and it seems like it is indeed a thing, though the actual legality of it is as questionable as you'd expect: https://jalopnik.com/the-pitfalls-of...cam-1711216059

Was curious about this because I've never heard of it, and it seems like it is indeed a thing, though the actual legality of it is as questionable as you'd expect: https://jalopnik.com/the-pitfalls-of...cam-1711216059
    Steve Lehto. Great guy. Has an excellent daily Youtube called "Lehto's Law". Often quite informative and often entertaining.

19. Default Re: OKCPD Ignoring Expired Vehicle Temporary Paper Tags ???

The federal gas tax hasn't been raised since 1993, and is not indexed to inflation. Construction materials and labor have gone up a whole lot since 1993.

Oklahoma has the 7th lowest gas tax in the nation, so a lot of the transportation costs that gas tax pays for in the other states we have to pay for with things like license plate fees. And I believe the most recent state gas tax increase was earmarked to education.

Thread Information