Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: PGA Championship 2022 - Southern Hills, Tulsa

Blog Entries

Thumbs up PGA Championship 2022 - Southern Hills, Tulsa

PGA Championship 2022, Southern Hills - Tulsa

Golf Digest: https://www.golfdigest.com/story/pga...southern-hills

The move to Southern Hills marks the fifth time the club will play host to the tournament, the most recent being in 2007 when Tiger Woods won by two strokes over Woody Austin.

Default Re: PGA Championship 2022 - Southern Hills, Tulsa

I'm going on Saturday.

I haven't been on that course since the PGA in 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm going on Saturday.

I haven't been on that course since the PGA in 1982.
    I will be there this weekend as well the weather looks amazing for Sat and Sunday

I know where all the old wealthy white guys will be this weekend

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    I know where all the old wealthy white guys will be this weekend
    Meh, I’m not that and I’ll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by runOKC View Post
    Meh, I’m not that and I’ll be there.
    Oh, I'm just kidding...my buddy will be there and he is 40

7. Default Re: PGA Championship 2022 - Southern Hills, Tulsa

I was off yesterday and driving around a lot. The Animal talked a lot about the PGA Championship. But mostly about Mickelson not being here and $20 beer.

8. Default Re: PGA Championship 2022 - Southern Hills, Tulsa

Still really great to see this in Tulsa. Golf is pretty big in Oklahoma and I'm sure this will be a great weekend for the city of Tulsa.

9. Default Re: PGA Championship 2022 - Southern Hills, Tulsa

What are the chances that Oak Tree Nat'l could see a major again--hasn't hosted one since 1988, I think. Why? Having not been to either SH or Oak Tree, how do they compare?

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    What are the chances that Oak Tree Nat'l could see a major again--hasn't hosted one since 1988, I think. Why? Having not been to either SH or Oak Tree, how do they compare?
    Oak Tree doesn’t have the space to hold a PGA major. It’s pretty much in the middle of a neighborhood and is too broken up and not a contiguous area of space to meet the demands.

I was at SH today and forgot how much land they have. There is an additional 9 hole course that they use for a lot of the equipment trailers, broadcast studios, storage, etc. There are no houses on the actual course, which is kind of necessary for all of the massive suits/champion pavilions.

Southern Hills looked fantastic and should make the state look good this week.

11. Default Re: PGA Championship 2022 - Southern Hills, Tulsa

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Will most likely be the 2027 Senior Us Open as of right now.

I think a US Amateur or a playoff tourney are possible too.

I could maaaybe see them getting a PGA again with the new HQ in Frisco and moving the tourney to May, but not for a while. Once Tiger moves on I don't see the massive crowds like there are now moving forward. Although I do think Oak Tree screwed up and started letting people build on those big acre lots surrounding 5-8 so it limits their space. Granted, If Merion can host a major, any course can.

Quote Originally Posted by soonergolfer View Post
    Oak Tree doesn’t have the space to hold a PGA major. It’s pretty much in the middle of a neighborhood and is too broken up and not a contiguous area of space to meet the demands.

I was at SH today and forgot how much land they have. There is an additional 9 hole course that they use for a lot of the equipment trailers, broadcast studios, storage, etc. There are no houses on the actual course, which is kind of necessary for all of the massive suits/champion pavilions.

Southern Hills looked fantastic and should make the state look good this week.
    lol it has hosted a PGA major ... and it will again ..

Blog Entries

When the 2001 U.S. Open was played in Tulsa, there was an impact of $65 million on the Tulsa economy.

When Tiger Woods prevailed in the 2007 PGA Championship at Southern Hills, there was a $70 million impact.

2022: Nearly every inch of Southern Hills’ 320-acre property will be used somehow. For each of the championship rounds (Thursday through Sunday), a crowd of 45,000 is expected.

Tulsa is about to benefit from an amazing, $143.5 million surprise. Southern Hills hadn’t been scheduled for another PGA Championship until 2030.

14. Default Re: PGA Championship 2022 - Southern Hills, Tulsa

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    When the 2001 U.S. Open was played in Tulsa, there was an impact of $65 million on the Tulsa economy.

When Tiger Woods prevailed in the 2007 PGA Championship at Southern Hills, there was a $70 million impact.

2022: Nearly every inch of Southern Hills’ 320-acre property will be used somehow. For each of the championship rounds (Thursday through Sunday), a crowd of 45,000 is expected.

Tulsa is about to benefit from an amazing, $143.5 million surprise. Southern Hills hadn’t been scheduled for another PGA Championship until 2030.
    I think with the move to 2022 this might be in the air. They have walked back on that as of right now but wouldn't be surprised if it still went back to SH due to the to the tourney being on both coasts a few year before and after 2030

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    Why do you speak in such absolutes? It opens you up for criticism.

It hasn't hosted a regular PGA tour event in 34 years. (1988 PGA Championship) And it very likely won't for another 34 years. It is too small to handle tournaments like that in 2022. OKC doesn't have a course with enough land to hold 50,000 people a day. Tulsa only has 1.

Senior PGA events? Sure. Only because they get 25% or so of the traffic that a regular PGA event gets.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post

It hasn't hosted a regular PGA tour event in 34 years. (1988 PGA Championship) And it very likely won't for another 34 years. It is too small to handle tournaments like that in 2022. OKC doesn't have a course with enough land to hold 50,000 people a day. Tulsa only has 1.

Senior PGA events? Sure. Only because they get 25% or so of the traffic that a regular PGA event gets.
    the lack of hotels in the direct area is a much bigger issue then the land

There has been tons of chatter about SH being in a regular (once a decade) rotation for the PGA. They've talked about rotating it between 6ish regulars and 2-3 randoms.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    No sh*t Sherlock! It held the PGA in 1988 (I went). Twin Hills also held the PGA in 1935...maybe that will happen again your logic! Lol

Have you been to a major championship in the last decade? If you have, you would know that the scale of the event has escalated a huge amount since 1988. You need multiple hundreds of thousands of square feet to hold the 1916 champions pavilion (at least 100,000 sf), merchandise pavilion (I am guessing 80,000 sf), club suites, tv studios, production crew staging areas, concession areas, massive stands, etc. Maybe if there were no houses on the actual golf course, it would be possible, but that is not the case with Oak Tree.

The max for Oak Tree is probably a Sr. major or if a regular PGA event moves to Oklahoma (similar to the Byron Nelson in Dallas).

I've heard nothing but great things about the course and the people of Oklahoma from outsiders. The club & PGA have put on a great show so far.

It was scheduled to host another PGA Championship in 1994 but it was moved to southern hills after Oaktree started suffering from some major financial issues. It’s hosted senior PGA events and there’s plenty of space around there to host another PGA event if someone wants it to happen badly enough (it’s not like there’s been that much more additional development out there since 2006) it’s just tough to compete with the hundreds of other courses around the country that host these things when many of them probably have an easier time hosting it, especially when southern hills (which has hosted the PGA Championship more than any other course) is under two hours away and always more than willing to host them.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    I think with the move to 2022 this might be in the air. They have walked back on that as of right now but wouldn't be surprised if it still went back to SH due to the to the tourney being on both coasts a few year before and after 2030
    According to some of the members I know out there, this is currently being treated as a last minute change and the original tournament they guaranteed before 2030 (or maybe it was 2035) is still in play. They’re also going after another US Open but nothing has come of that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by soonergolfer View Post
    No sh*t Sherlock! It held the PGA in 1988 (I went). Twin Hills also held the PGA in 1935...maybe that will happen again your logic! Lol

Have you been to a major championship in the last decade? If you have, you would know that the scale of the event has escalated a huge amount since 1988. You need multiple hundreds of thousands of square feet to hold the 1916 champions pavilion (at least 100,000 sf), merchandise pavilion (I am guessing 80,000 sf), club suites, tv studios, production crew staging areas, concession areas, massive stands, etc. Maybe if there were no houses on the actual golf course, it would be possible, but that is not the case with Oak Tree.

The max for Oak Tree is probably a Sr. major or if a regular PGA event moves to Oklahoma (similar to the Byron Nelson in Dallas).
    for the record, the merchandise pavilion is 50k square feet and I’m not sure the 1916 pavilion is quite 100k but haven’t seen the official number on that anywhere yet. As a reference, in the scheme of things, even 100k square feet doesn’t take up that much space that’s under 3 acres as a conversion but probably between 4 & 5 when it comes to actual footprint.

it’s always possible if someone wants to do it badly enough. There’s a massive amount of open land (for now) on that quarter section, on the east side of oak tree (they have two additional full 18 hole golf courses between the east and west sides as well as an extra driving range that could be used for event space if they really wanted to) and empty land on the tracts nearby, but there are so many other courses that are much more convenient that I have trouble seeing how it could get ahead of those for a major (though still think it could). A regular PGA event would almost be better due to it using less space and it would happen more often than every 5-30 years. It’s an extremely nice and difficult Pete Dye course that has hosted a major before (and is in much better condition now than it was then) so I have trouble believing it will be completely shut out forever.

To your point about Twin Hills, I think it’s just too short to host a modern PGA or USGA event, which a much bigger issue than lack of easily accessible open space. Though the club special was supposedly created there so they’ll always have that lol. Length isn’t an issue for Oak Tree.

23. Default Re: PGA Championship 2022 - Southern Hills, Tulsa

A bunch of the older membership at Oak Tree National (OTN) is still bitter at the city of Edmond for not stepping up and taking much of the financial burden left behind when Landmark went bankrupt, which led to 1994 PGA going to Southern Hills. Big mistake that took a long time to get back in their good graces. Although lately OTN has been in bed with USGA. As I said above the 2027 US Senior Open is looking more likely for OTN. Would be cool for the Amateur to come back too.

24. Default Re: PGA Championship 2022 - Southern Hills, Tulsa

The greens weren't mowed this morning because of high winds. Inter testing to see how the greens play today.

25. Default Re: PGA Championship 2022 - Southern Hills, Tulsa

^^^^^^
    According to the leaderboard the vast majority of players who have completed today's round improved vs yesterday's, some by a significant number of strokes. Seems like the stimpmeter is their friend today.

Thread Information