Widgets Magazine

Thread: NCAA Oklahoma 2022 - 2026[

Blog Entries

NCAA NCAA Oklahoma 2022 - 2026[

NCAA Oklahoma 2022 - 2026

Chesapeake Energy Arena will host first- and second-round games of the NCAA men's basketball
    tournament in 2026. [DAVE MORRIS/THE OKLAHOMAN]

On a day we learned eight NCAA regionals and championships will come to our state from 2023-26 — in addition to the Women’s College World Series, which OKC has locked in for the long term — there was jubilation in many locales. OSU landed three events in Stillwater. Ditto for OU in Norman. Tulsa even scored a big event, the wrestling championships in 2023.

But nothing was bigger than OKC getting that basketball regional.--Oklahoman, October 15, 2020

NCAA events

On Wednesday, the NCAA announced sites for most of its 2023-26 championships and regionals. In addition to the Women's College World Series, a permanent championship held in Oklahoma City, the state received eight events.

Here's a look at what will be coming to Oklahoma in the coming years:

Event, Location

2022 Men’s and Women’s Cross Country Championship, Stillwater/OSU Cross Country Course

2023 Wrestling Championship, Tulsa/BOK Center

2023 Women’s Gymnastics Regional, Norman/Lloyd Noble Center

2023 Men’s Golf Regional, Norman/Jimmie Austin OU Golf Club

2024 Men’s and Women’s Tennis Championships, Stillwater/Greenwood Tennis Center

2025 Women’s Golf Regional, Norman/Jimmie Austin OU Golf Club

2025 Men’s Golf Regional, Stillwater/Karsten Creek

2026 Men’s Basketball First and Second Rounds, Oklahoma City/Chesapeake Energy Arena

The new upper decks of the USA Softball Hall Of Fame Stadium make it "the best softball facility bar none,”
    says USA Softball, CEO Craig Cress. Sarah Phipps/The Oklahoman]

Default Re: NCAA Oklahoma 2022 - 2026[

all sports gone .... and OKC gets the NCAA tourney back

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: NCAA Oklahoma 2022 - 2026[

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    all sports gone .... and OKC gets the NCAA tourney back
    Nobody knows what's going to happen anytime down the road. The tournaments are planned well ahead in advance to allow for preparation & planning. Covid-19 could derail much of this.

I think he was talking about the former OKC All-Sports Association

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    I think he was talking about the former OKC All-Sports Association
    Thanks for the clarification... The All Sports Association did help lure some non major league sports to Oklahoma including the infrastructure for OKC's All Sports Stadium. Their influence was a welcome boost when OKC, Oklahoma University and Oklahoma State University did not have a funding source like MAPS and University top donors (Louise and Clay Bennett, Boone Pickens) to fund the venues needed to bid on hosting these events.

We commend the All Sports Association for stepping to the plate to advance amateur athletics in Oklahoma City.

We need to thank the citizens of Oklahoma City for their support of MAPS & GO Bonds that helped improve the Quality of Life for our citizens and bring a state like Oklahoma into the major professional sports world.

Nevada (2,890,845), Utah (3,282,120) and Oklahoma (3,954,820) are three states with populations under 4 million with NFL (LV) & NBA (SLC/OKC) franchises.

Blog Entries

Oklahoma State University Cross Country Course

Not that l wish anything bad for Denver, but there is relatively little media support for UC or CSU compared to pro sports coverage or the support in OK for college sports. I was disappointed to see Denver landed NCAA basketball 3 years compared to only 1 year in OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post

Nevada (2,890,845), Utah (3,282,120) and Oklahoma (3,954,820) are three states with populations under 4 million with NFL (LV) & NBA (SLC/OKC) franchises.
    TBF I do not believe you can compare Vegas and OKC based on population. Vegas has a population of about 4k less than OKC. However Vegas is drawing in visitors from all over the US. Vegas draws on offering entertainment geared for grown ups. OKC does not offer these attractions. Consequently Vegas pro sports will be drawing more on the out of town visitor than most franchises. Will the NFL be a draw there? i imagine a lot of studies went into answering that question. However you failed to mention that in addition to the Raiders, Vegas also has the Golden Knights of the NHL. The Knights avg 18, 310 for 37 home games, 2019-20 season. Additionally they were 4th in the league at 105% capacity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    TBF I do not believe you can compare Vegas and OKC based on population. Vegas has a population of about 4k less than OKC. However Vegas is drawing in visitors from all over the US. Vegas draws on offering entertainment geared for grown ups. OKC does not offer these attractions. Consequently Vegas pro sports will be drawing more on the out of town visitor than most franchises. Will the NFL be a draw there? i imagine a lot of studies went into answering that question. However you failed to mention that in addition to the Raiders, Vegas also has the Golden Knights of the NHL. The Knights avg 18, 310 for 37 home games, 2019-20 season. Additionally they were 4th in the league at 105% capacity.
    My posts only addressed the biggest fish (NFL & NBA) in those three communities. Didn't intend to get too far off the subject.

Blog Entries

2023 Wrestling Championship, Tulsa/BOK Center

Tulsa is hosting the NCAA's Division 1 Men’s Wrestling Championships in 2023. The events are going to be at the BOK Center in downtown Tulsa, according to Tulsa Regional Tourism.

Another great event coming to Oklahoma. Tulsa will be a great host for this event that should draw collegiate wrestling fans throughout the country to one central location.

Blog Entries

2022 DI Baseball Championship - Super Regionals

English Field, Blacksburg, Virginia

Oklahoma (40-21) at No. 4 Virginia Tech (44-12)

2 p.m. Friday on ESPN2
    11 a.m. Saturday on ESPNU
    TBD on Sunday, if necessary

Oklahoma Sooners 5 vs Virginia Tech HoKies 4, OU lead series 1 - 0

Blog Entries

Oklahoma Sooners 5 vs Virginia Tech HoKies 4, OU lead series 1 - 0

Virginia Tech Hokies 14 vs Oklahoma Sooners 8, Series tied 1 - 1

Sunday, June 12 @ 12 noon CST, Winner advances to CWS, Omaha

Blog Entries

Oklahoma Sooners 11 vs Virginia Tech Hokies 2

Oklahoma advances to Omaha to face Texas A & M in their opener.

14. Default Re: NCAA Oklahoma 2022 - 2026[

If you had told me 6 weeks ago that OU would be in the CWS I'd have begged you for some of whatever you were taking. I'm really impressed by this team's playoff play.

Sooners are playing better than anyone right now.

Started slow but have been on a complete tear since halfway through and throughout the post-season.

Very young team, too. Only one senior in the entire lineup and a bunch of freshmen and sophomores.

OU finally has the right coach. Skip Johnson was brought in a few years ago and last year was rough, but in 2020 they were 14-4 with a killer pitching rotation before the pandemic struck.

The program is on a huge upswing. We need to get the stadium improvements done, along with the new softball stadium.

That was quite the shellacking.

My brother told me yesterday that UCLA has more WCWS championship wins and I think he said AZ has the second most with the Sooners being 3rd but I may have mixed up AZ championships with the Sooners

Quote Originally Posted by shartel_ave View Post
    My brother told me yesterday that UCLA has more WCWS championship wins and I think he said AZ has the second most with the Sooners being 3rd but I may have mixed up AZ championships with the Sooners
    Yep, hopefully we catch them over the next few years. For baseball CWS, USC has the most at 12, followed by LSU and Texas with 6. Oklahoma has won it twice, most recently in 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Sooners are playing better than anyone right now.

Started slow but have been on a complete tear since halfway through and throughout the post-season.

Very young team, too. Only one senior in the entire lineup and a bunch of freshmen and sophomores.

OU finally has the right coach. Skip Johnson was brought in a few years ago and last year was rough, but in 2020 they were 14-4 with a killer pitching rotation before the pandemic struck.

The program is on a huge upswing. We need to get the stadium improvements done, along with the new softball stadium.
    Yep they are playing great baseball and getting very good starting pitching.

FYI OU baseball lists guys like the Covid year didn’t count (which it didn’t). So lots of the guys listed as sophomores are draft eligible. And all 3 starting pitchers are draft eligible. (Inclining Horton because of his age)

How long is the contract for the CWS to be in Omaha?

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    It got a 25 year deal when they agreed to build the new stadium

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    2035, both the baseball (Omaha) & softball (OKC) contracts become available for renewal.

NCAA: Omaha and CWS Make 25 Year Agreement, Start Series: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...t-start-series

Don't want to derail this thread; however, I think Oklahoma City would be a better location for the Men's baseball CWS and the Women's softball tournaments.

Imagine the economic impact and advertising for our city these two events would have on our local economy.

Bricktown Ballpark would have to be expanded to accommodate its maximum expansion capacity of 35,000. You're talking about a total investment of $150 million not counting luxury suites.

MAPS 4 expires April 1, 2028 upon extending this renewal we'll know more about the MSA population trend estimates and what our city will need to pursue larger events for the future; hopefully sealed with a firm financial commitment from the State.

Thread Information