Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Thunder 2020-21 season

Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2020-21 season

It could also just be that someone in the Thunder's ownership group (thinking Kaiser here) is adamant on not having a few thousand people in an indoor arena during a pandemic in which vaccines probably won't be widely available until the last few weeks of the regular season. In any case, if the Thunder aren't able to safely have something close to a normal game experience next season, we'll probably have much bigger things to worry about.

For me I was hoping we could start getting back to a little bit of Normal. Opening the stadium even to only 3,000 would seem like a start. Sounds like the vaccine might be open to everyone in April. This is going to be an endemic it's probably always going to be around. Are we not going to let fans in next October when there are still cases being reported? What will the case counts have to be before we open things up again?

The pandemic is still very bad right now. We’re at the highs of the summer. A ton of people still can’t get the vaccine yet. In three months, everyone should have access. The fall should be completely different than now.

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2020-21 season

Thunder 107 @ Spurs 102

Box score https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=401267716

Blog Entries

No tank you, Thunder.

With veterans Horford & Hill out, also missing rim hanger Diallo dunk; this young group of Thunder players refuse to tank--defeating the Spurs in San Antonio 107- 102.

Amazed by the tenacity the Thunder players displayed against San Antonio Spurs last night. Remember, the Spurs are going thru their own reboot under the guidance of the Spurs' Jedi Master coach Popovich.

Love watching this young team develop. WATCHOUT OKC THUNDER for the second half of the schedule and Great Expectations in 2022.

Blog Entries

NBA Standings 2020-21: https://www.espn.com/nba/standings

Maybe just maybe the Thunder are looking at it like Covid is still bad. Even though the numbers are lower they are still near the highest of the second wave last summer. Maybe the fact the last March the entire NBA and all sports were shutdown due to positive test in OKC is apart of the decision.

This isn't even close to being over yet so maybe it's better to let all the other teams allow fans and maybe next season it'll be possible. Look at this way international travel is mostly shutdown due to Covid this is not over yet.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    To the best of my recollection, season ticketholders (I'm one of them) weren't give the option of a full cash refund, just options of opting in to full or partial season tickets (when it was believed there would be fans in the stands), or opting out of the season altogether. Either of those options meant any money already received by the Thunder would be rolled over into the next season's tickets.

The Thunder normally have renewal deadlines for the next season in March, while the season is still going on, and that happened this year, but the Thunder postponed taking any money until the summer, then stopped it again in late fall when they made the decision to not allow fans, and any money still due on your account will need to be paid off by April, i believe.

I know of no options for receiving refunds or opting out altogether as a season ticketholder, unless it was something that was worked out individually between the ticketholder and Thunder ticket representative.
    The option for full refund was available but not publicized. Basically big guy (thunder) wanting a zero percent interest loan from the small man. I called and was able to get my money back. As a season ticket holder of thunder since 2009 I’m done with thunder and NBA. Between the BLM and Lebron James politics I’ve had enough. I come to watch basketball to watch basketball not hear a multi million dollar athlete tell me how I should vote and see the world.

I have been to about 15-20 high school basketball games this year (zero in previous 10 years) and though the talent level isn’t the same it has been a breath of fresh air to just watch basketball without all the antics.

There's always going to be fans who want Black athletes to entertain them, but don't care about the lives and rights of Black people. I mean, they were literally just arguing for due process and equality in police interactions in the face of police violence and for equal voting opportunities in the face of widespread efforts at Black voter suppression. If you can't support those two basic rights then I don't know what to say. I gained a ton of respect for the players this past year and can't wait to spend more time and money at Thunder games.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    There's always going to be fans who want Black athletes to entertain them, but don't care about the lives and rights of Black people. I mean, they were literally just arguing for due process and equality in police interactions in the face of police violence and for equal voting opportunities in the face of widespread efforts at Black voter suppression. If you can't support those two basic rights then I don't know what to say. I gained a ton of respect for the players this past year and can't wait to spend more time and money at Thunder games.
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Why does it have to be black athletes? Why can’t it be athletes. I brought nothing about race in it. As long as everyone keeps attaching a race adjective to every person there will be divide. I just stated I don’t needed politics in my entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by kjones View Post
    Why does it have to be black athletes? Why can’t it be athletes. I brought nothing about race in it. As long as everyone keeps attaching a race adjective to every person there will be divide. I just stated I don’t needed politics in my entertainment.
    You literally canceled your season tickets over LeBron James and other athletes supporting a black equality movement. You definitely brought race into it.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliSciGuy View Post
    You literally canceled your season tickets over LeBron James and other athletes supporting a black equality movement. You definitely brought race into it.
    Let’s just agree to disagree. BC I will have my viewpoints and you will have yours. Bickering back and forth has never caused someone to change sides. I was just stating the fact with recent political events being in the NBA I will no longer be a season ticket holder. For the most part my family and friends feel the exact same way. Thunder is not a big enough market to sustain losing a lot of fans or truthfully corporate dollars.

Are any of you all even invested in the thunder as a season ticket holder?

Let’s just agree to disagree. BC I will have my viewpoints and you will have yours. Bickering back and forth has never caused someone to change sides. I was just stating the fact with recent political events being in the NBA I will no longer be a season ticket holder. For the most part my family and friends feel the exact same way. Thunder is not a big enough market to sustain losing a lot of fans or truthfully corporate dollars.

Are any of you all even invested in the thunder as a season ticket holder?
    And there isn’t a waitlist for thunder tickets. Hasn’t been one in 2-3 years

The option for full refund was available but not publicized. Basically big guy (thunder) wanting a zero percent interest loan from the small man. I called and was able to get my money back. As a season ticket holder of thunder since 2009 I’m done with thunder and NBA. Between the BLM and Lebron James politics I’ve had enough. I come to watch basketball to watch basketball not hear a multi million dollar athlete tell me how I should vote and see the world.

I have been to about 15-20 high school basketball games this year (zero in previous 10 years) and though the talent level isn’t the same it has been a breath of fresh air to just watch basketball without all the antics.
    I find this comment to be astonishing. I guess only rich white guys can tell you how to see the world. No one tells me how to see the world, but everyone has the right to hold a personal view. Don't see your correlation of Lebron's comments/politics and the Thunder or any other NBA team (actually I do), but I say GOOD RIDDANCE .(Lol)

16. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2020-21 season

...Are any of you all even invested in the thunder as a season ticket holder?
    I’ve been a Thunder season ticket holder since 2008, and a NOLA/OKC Hornets season ticket holder - the same seats in fact - for two years before that. Missed one Hornets home game in each of the two seasons they were here, once because I was in the hospital having emergency surgery and once because of my best friend’s couples baby shower (and I’ve given him a ration ever since).

Made every home game of the Thunder’s first season and traveled to a couple away. In fact, have traveled to multiple NBA cities to watch the Thunder play. Once the Thunder made the playoffs for a number of seasons I averaged more games than there were regular season home games, including traveling to playoff games in other cities.

Yes, I’m “invested.” And I’m not going anywhere.

I’m a fan because I love my city and truly enjoy the pro game. But I also recognize that these players are people - actual human beings - and they have a right to make themselves heard via their available platforms every bit as much as you or I have the right to share our own opinions publicly.

That said, it’s entirely fair for Pete, who owns this board, to moderate its content as he sees fit. And if you or I don’t care for the resulting content, we certainly have the right to take our money (or in the case of this board our eyeballs and clicks) elsewhere. You can certainly choose to dump the NBA (but I was thinking everyone was mad at “cancel culture?” It’s so difficult to keep track these days...).

The NBA and its players knew this was the case when they took on more social advocacy issues. They knew they might lose some fans, but they also knew that they might help create the change they seek. Their choice, a calculated risk, and I don’t begrudge them the platform (which, importantly, THEY own).

However you obviously do, and that’s your right. But...BUT: coming online in this place - YOUR available platform (though owned by another) - to offer your opinion and to denigrate the NBA and its players for doing so on THEIRS is hypocritical.

And make no mistake, YOU brought this topic into this thread. We all have eyes, and we can all scroll up in this thread and see it for ourselves. THEN you suggested others should simply drop it; not bicker, “agree to disagree.”

So, quite clearly, what you are telling us is that YOU get to say YOUR piece but everyone else needs to just “shut up and dribble.”

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I’ve been a Thunder season ticket holder since 2008, and a NOLA/OKC Hornets season ticket holder - the same seats in fact - for two years before that. Missed one Hornets home game in each of the two seasons they were here, once because I was in the hospital having emergency surgery and once because of my best friend’s couples baby shower (and I’ve given him a ration ever since).

Made every home game of the Thunder’s first season and traveled to a couple. In fact have traveled to multiple NBA cities to watch the Thunder play. Once the Thunder made the playoffs for a number of seasons I averaged more games than there were regular season home games, including traveling to playoff games in other cities.

I’m a fan because I love my city and truly enjoy the pro game. But I also recognize that these players are people, and they have a right to make themselves heard every bit as much as you or I have the right to share our own opinions publicly.

That said, it’s entirely fair for Pete, who owns this board, to moderate its content as he sees fit. And if you or I don’t care for the resulting content, we certainly have the right to take our money (or in the case of this board our eyeballs and clicks) elsewhere. You can certainly choose to dump the NBA (but I was thinking everyone was mad at “cancel culture?” It’s so difficult to keep track these days...).

The NBA and its players knew this was the case when they took on more social advocacy issues. They knew they might lose some fans, but they also knew that they might help create the change they seek. Their choice, a calculated risk, and I don’t begrudge them the platform.

However you obviously do, and that’s your right. But...BUT: coming online in this place - YOUR available platform - to denigrate them for doing so on theirs is hypocritical. And make no mistake, YOU brought this topic into this thread, and then suggested others should simply drop it; not bicker, “agree to disagree.”

So, what you are telling us is that YOU get to say YOUR piece but everyone else needs to just “shut up and dribble.”
    Very well said!

I have bad news for the Thunder Covid I think is going to always be around just like the flu. I hope I'm totally wrong though. That being said if we can't put 4,000-5,000 fans in the arena with cases being around 700 a day how are we going to put 18,000 fans in the arena if cases are still 100-200 a day come the fall? Hopefully we can get it below 100 a day and find a good treatment but at what point do we start to have concerts and large events again?

I mean, we're still not in a good place with regards to COVID, even with how well the vaccination program has been going in this state so far. We're definitely trending well, but hospitalizations are still around where they were at the beginning of the summer surge, and cases have leveled off right around where they were last August. By the time the 2021-22 season starts, I would be stunned if we're not in a much better place than we are right now. My expectation is that there will be plenty of people in attendance at next season's home opener.

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    I have bad news for the Thunder Covid I think is going to always be around just like the flu. I hope I'm totally wrong though. That being said if we can't put 4,000-5,000 fans in the arena with cases being around 700 a day how are we going to put 18,000 fans in the arena if cases are still 100-200 a day come the fall? Hopefully we can get it below 100 a day and find a good treatment but at what point do we start to have concerts and large events again?
    Covid will always be around like the flu...but we don't cancel indoor sports because of the flu. Covid will continue to be a problem for folks who aren't vaccinated, but after May everyone who wants a vaccine will be vaccinated. The vaccines have been shown to pretty much eliminate hospitalization and deaths due to COVID. Come next fall they can run full capacity, just as they do at flu season, without too much of a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post

Made every home game of the Thunder’s first season and traveled to a couple away. In fact, have traveled to multiple NBA cities to watch the Thunder play. Once the Thunder made the playoffs for a number of seasons I averaged more games than there were regular season home games, including traveling to playoff games in other cities.

I’m a fan because I love my city and truly enjoy the pro game. But I also recognize that these players are people - actual human beings - and they have a right to make themselves heard via their available platforms every bit as much as you or I have the right to share our own opinions publicly.

The NBA and its players knew this was the case when they took on more social advocacy issues. They knew they might lose some fans, but they also knew that they might help create the change they seek. Their choice, a calculated risk, and I don’t begrudge them the platform (which, importantly, THEY own).

However you obviously do, and that’s your right. But...BUT: coming online in this place - YOUR available platform (though owned by another) - to offer your opinion and to denigrate the NBA and its players for doing so on THEIRS is hypocritical.

And make no mistake, YOU brought this topic into this thread. We all have eyes, and we can all scroll up in this thread and see it for ourselves. THEN you suggested others should simply drop it; not bicker, “agree to disagree.”

So, quite clearly, what you are telling us is that YOU get to say YOUR piece but everyone else needs to just “shut up and dribble.”
    Damn, Urbanized I appreciate your comments so much. Gives me hope in people (at least some)

Covid will always be around like the flu...but we don't cancel indoor sports because of the flu. Covid will continue to be a problem for folks who aren't vaccinated, but after May everyone who wants a vaccine will be vaccinated. The vaccines have been shown to pretty much eliminate hospitalization and deaths due to COVID. Come next fall they can run full capacity, just as they do at flu season, without too much of a concern.
    I think we are over a million people with at least 1 shot. I guess my thinking was they could let season ticket holders in that have has 2 shots already and just have to show your vaccination card and ID at the door but I could see how that could be a problem having to check that.

That being said how are other cities doing it? Anyone know how Dallas in letting their fans in? Are there any requirements?

Talking about race is NOT the problem. Racism is the problem. Of course, you're welcome to spend your money however you want and I get that sports can be an "escape" for other aspects of our lives, but here's the thing, if you've listened to Black people in this country, and Black athletes in the NBA, then you'd realize they don't have the privilege of escaping racism.
    — Masai Ujiri, one of the only Black team presidents was profiled and harassed by a White police officer when the Raptors won the 2019 NBA championship. He was literally trying to celebrate this championship with the team he created. This should have been the highlight of his life, but his skin color meant he couldn't even "escape" even while at his job. Then the police officer lied, claimed he was harassed, and sued Ujiri. Of course, a video proved the officer was lying.
    — While playing for the Milwaukee Bucks, Sterling Brown was physically harassed by police officers for a parking violation.
    — Thabo Sefolosha, who was a model citizen of the OKC community for years and great guy, had his leg broken by a police officer when trying to be supportive.
    — There are currently over 200 bills in state houses across the country right now seeking to increase voter suppression, and many of these bills target Black communities where polling sites are purposefully closed.

OKC Thunder players have been incredible community members since they've arrived. They've given and given and given to this community. Just look at all the Thanksgiving food drives and school donations Russ made. KD gave so much. So many players have. They've embraced this city in ways we couldn't have imagined. And, yes, OKC Thunder players are primarily Black. And when incredible guys like Chris Paul who do nothing but give to this city ask for us to stand with them, hell yeah I'll be there.

And, yes, I've been a season ticket holder since 2009 even though I haven't lived in the state since 2011. I drive back for 10-12 games every season.

+1

Larger events should largely be back by the summer or fall, but if anyone wants to guarantee it, talk to people in your life who are hesitant about getting a vaccine shot. The more people who are vaccinated, the more able we will be able to return to normal life. It has to be a community effort.

Quote Originally Posted by OkieHornet View Post
    To the best of my recollection, season ticketholders (I'm one of them) weren't give the option of a full cash refund, just options of opting in to full or partial season tickets (when it was believed there would be fans in the stands), or opting out of the season altogether. Either of those options meant any money already received by the Thunder would be rolled over into the next season's tickets.

The Thunder normally have renewal deadlines for the next season in March, while the season is still going on, and that happened this year, but the Thunder postponed taking any money until the summer, then stopped it again in late fall when they made the decision to not allow fans, and any money still due on your account will need to be paid off by April, i believe.

I know of no options for receiving refunds or opting out altogether as a season ticketholder, unless it was something that was worked out individually between the ticketholder and Thunder ticket representative.
    season ticket holder as well have been since the OKC hornets .. .. and a full refund is an option since fans are now not allowed this entire season ..

and as far as not wanting politics in sports .. the ratings .. show that lots and lots of people feel that way ..

Thread Information