Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma City Thunder 2020-21 season

Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2020-21 season

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    No, he doesn't. The Thunder might listen to his input, but the Suns—who are not contenders—are rumored now. Presti will do what's best for the Thunder.

I'd guess we hear about a CP3 trade this week. Possibly a Gallo sign and trade. Outside chance Adams is dealt, but probably not. There's going to be a lot of action this week.

And, don't forget the 2021 draft is supposed to be loaded. It's almost suspiciously perfect timing.
    Okay, so how much is the salary floor this year? I mean as a percentage. 80-85%? The Thunder still gotta spend a lot of money every year, and they aren’t going to take back any contract that runs longer than this year in a trade IMO.

I think “The Process” ultimately showed that in today’s NBA tanking has become much more short term and risky. The Sixers spent 3 of the years harming road attendance, food & beverage, and national TV ratings on an effort that didn’t get them closer than the second round? I think the days of the 25% wining percentage as part of a tank job are gone. At least with competent management, and I think Sam Presti is the best in the NBA. I don’t think our winning percentage is gonna get below 40-45 this, or any other year.

As far as Chris Paul having control of where he goes, I am totally convinced he does. He is the president of the player’s union, a man who can call Adam Silver, Michelle Roberts, or Barack Obama and they will take the call live. There is no gain the the Thunder from antagonizing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Okay, so how much is the salary floor this year? I mean as a percentage. 80-85%? The Thunder still gotta spend a lot of money every year, and they aren’t going to take back any contract that runs longer than this year in a trade IMO.

I think “The Process” ultimately showed that in today’s NBA tanking has become much more short term and risky. The Sixers spent 3 of the years harming road attendance, food & beverage, and national TV ratings on an effort that didn’t get them closer than the second round? I think the days of the 25% wining percentage as part of a tank job are gone. At least with competent management, and I think Sam Presti is the best in the NBA. I don’t think our winning percentage is gonna get below 40-45 this, or any other year.

As far as Chris Paul having control of where he goes, I am totally convinced he does. He is the president of the player’s union, a man who can call Adam Silver, Michelle Roberts, or Barack Obama and they will take the call live. There is no gain the the Thunder from antagonizing him.
    To be fair to Hinkie, we never really got a chance to see what the Process would have looked like had he been allowed to see it to completion. The NBA forced him out and then the Sixers made a series of terrible front office hires that really messed up their chances for long-term success. We'll see if Morey can turn it around there.

I don't think the Thunder will ever have 60-70 loss seasons like the Sixers did for a few years in a row, both because SGA is better than anyone the Sixers ever had during the "Process" years and also because the Thunder aren't quite as incentivized to tank due to the fact that so many of their picks are coming from the Clippers and Rockets. But I think it does ultimately make sense to shed salary and opt for a youth movement over the next few years. I'd expect the Thunder to win about 25-30 games over the next three seasons (or whatever the equivalent of that is in this slightly shorter upcoming season).

First, no one said the Thunder are going to approach this the exact same way that Hinkie did in Philly, but they are going to lose this season, on purpose. Getting a high draft pick is still the best route to contention for OKC. Besides, the Process netted the 76ers two all-stars and contention. It certainly didn't fail despite the process being cut short and undermined since Hinkie left.

The only way Chris Paul will have input on his trade destination is if it also is in the interest of the Thunder. Presti will work with CP3, but he won't pursue trades that aren't good for the Thunder. Presti "worked with" Westbrook, but he only did the trade because it was incredible deal for OKC. Saying CP3's role as player rep means he'll get to choose his destination is pretty much a conspiracy theory. There's no evidence to support it.

I think the most collaborative sports league between players and management in North America is the NBA, and the Thunder is near the top in collaboration in the NBA. The headline I read in NBC Sports Pro Basketball Talk on 11-12-2020 was “Thunder give Chris Paul permission to work out Suns trade”. A 35 year old player who is due over $40 million a year for the next 2 years is next to impossible to trade in a good economy, and this ain’t a good economy. Because Chris Paul is the President of the NBAPA, he will have full knowledge of all terms of any trade and cannot agree to any trade that is not at least “neutral”. Forcing Chris Paul into a trade that he doesn’t agree to benefits nobody. He doesn’t have a no trade clause on paper, but he might as well have, and the Thunder knew that when they traded for him last season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I think the most collaborative sports league between players and management in North America is the NBA, and the Thunder is near the top in collaboration in the NBA. The headline I read in NBC Sports Pro Basketball Talk on 11-12-2020 was “Thunder give Chris Paul permission to work out Suns trade”. A 35 year old player who is due over $40 million a year for the next 2 years is next to impossible to trade in a good economy, and this ain’t a good economy. Because Chris Paul is the President of the NBAPA, he will have full knowledge of all terms of any trade and cannot agree to any trade that is not at least “neutral”. Forcing Chris Paul into a trade that he doesn’t agree to benefits nobody. He doesn’t have a no trade clause on paper, but he might as well have, and the Thunder knew that when they traded for him last season.
    Almost none of this is true. The Thunder can trade Chris Paul without saying one word to him because he signed a contract. He literally has no legal say. And trading Chris Paul to somewhere is doesn't want to go—remember OKC was very much perceived as such a place when he was traded—could very well benefit the Thunder the most. I promise you that if the Cleveland Cavaliers offered the Thunder 3 first round picks Presti would approve that trade without thinking about it twice.

I think the Thunder would love to find a great trade for CP3 and themselves, but there's no question the latter is the only one that ultimately matters to Presti's decision-making.

Also, I think you're overstating the economic issue with CP3's huge salary. You have to match salary fairly closely in NBA trades. If the Thunder send out money then similar money will come in. In fact, that's why there are only some teams OKC can trade with.

Really love the new City uniform

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Really love the new City uniform
    i can find the press release but i haven't found a pic yet

thank you

they have some portland trail blazers feel to them

10. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2020-21 season

I like those a lot!

Blog Entries

Thunder Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2020-21 season

Oklahoma's NBA, The Thunder

The Oklahoma City Thunder have released their new 'City Edition' uniforms for the upcoming season.

For the first time, only the name “Oklahoma” will appear across the chest of the Thunder’s jersey. The all caps black lettering is similar to the font on the state flag.

Love's have the brightest patch among any of the 30 NBA franchises.

They look great, with the exception of the horrendous Love's logo.

I swear the Loves logo is getting larger, so disgusting.

How are the city jerseys not even going to say City???

I like the shorts I guess...

these are pretty terrible especially when compared to last years city edition (which was the OKC memorial uniform)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I swear the Loves logo is getting larger, so disgusting.

How are the city jerseys not even going to say City???

I like the shorts I guess...
    Agree, this is the 'city edition' jersey. Well the rest of the jerseys will have OKC or Oklahoma City on them.

I am glad I am not a Thunder fan, they are ugly

Looks like a mix of the Trailblazers and the 90s Cavs jersey's with a sprinkling of NASCAR on top.

18. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2020-21 season

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    Looks like a mix of the Trailblazers and the 90s Cavs jersey's with a sprinkling of NASCAR on top.
    Hadn't thought about a NASCAR influence. That might knock my opinion down a notch.

Blog Entries

Thunder ownership group...

Did anyone purchase the Aubrey McClendon share of the Thunder.

20. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2020-21 season

Just heard breaking news from Adrain Wojnarowski that Chris Paul is going to Phoenix.

Blog Entries

The $2 million patch...

...Keeps paying dividends for Tom & Judy Love.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Just heard breaking news from Adrain Wojnarowski that Chris Paul is going to Phoenix.
    Oh man, Oklahoma City continues to be a farm team for top 10 U. S. market cities.

CP3 with Abdel Nader to PHX for Kelly Oubre, Rubio, Ty Jermone, Jalen Lecque and 2022 first round pick

24. Default Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 2020-21 season

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    CP3 with Abdel Nader to PHX for Kelly Oubre, Rubio, Ty Jermone, Jalen Lecque and 2022 first round pick
    I wonder how many of those four will actually play for the Thunder. I bet the trades are just beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I wonder how many of those four will actually play for the Thunder. I bet the trades are just beginning.
    i would bet they try to send rubio to somewhere else ... Oubre is only 24 so he fits the team timeline ..

Thread Information