Widgets Magazine
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1

    Default Chaining/tethering pets

    Does anyone know if chaining your dog up unattended outside is illegal in OKC? I cant find any specific info besides an ordinance in Norman which outlaws it. Our neighbor leaves their dog chained to the porch for hours and hours at a time. The poor thing yips and barks at the door constantly which they ignore. Although they are not the most approachable people in the world, Id like to be equipped with this info if I do end up confronting them about it.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Chaining/tethering pets

    Call the OKC Action center and ask them: 297-2255.

    You can also report animal cruelty through their site and app.

    Please help that poor dog.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Chaining/tethering pets

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Call the OKC Action center and ask them: 297-2255.

    You can also report animal cruelty through their site and app.

    Please help that poor dog.
    I've had to do that before (dog wasn't chained, just barking incessantly), and they sent a warning out, and it's not doing it quite as much. I'd contact the Action Center 2-3 times if they don't respond to the first one, then file a complaint at the Animal Welfare center on SW something-ish. That's kind of a last resort, though, since you have to go in person to file a complaint, and show up in court, so if they're nasty people then things could get, well, nasty, since they'll know who you are.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Chaining/tethering pets

    Thanks, that is good to know. I’ll give the action center a try.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Chaining/tethering pets

    Im afraid complaints probably wont create good people. If you notice a change Id bet the dog is just locked in a crate 22 hours a day.

  6. #6

    Large Chain Re: Chaining/tethering pets

    Quote Originally Posted by thunderbird View Post
    Im afraid complaints probably wont create good people. If you notice a change Id bet the dog is just locked in a crate 22 hours a day.
    I grew up during a time where it wasn't unusual to have outdoor pets that were in pens or chained. What I found weird is when people started kenneling their pets.

    Leave a dog inside with no food, water, bathroom or entertainment from 6am - 5pm, let them out on leash to go to bathroom, then kennel them again overnight from 7pm-6am.

    I hope the same happens to the pet owners in the next life.

    Chains are unsightly but at least the dog is outside and isn't roaming neighborhood causing damage. He could be kenneled 23.5 hours a day out of sight.

  7. Default Re: Chaining/tethering pets

    Also remember that if you do call animal control and the animal is taken, that you can be fairly certain that animal is going to be put down. Especially if its any sort of pit or pit-mix. The shelters are constanlty FULL of pit/pit-mix animals and they cannot continue to care for them indefinitely. I'm not saying don't call to try to make a change here, but I do want you to be aware of what the probable consequences of it would be. Is that animal potentially being put down worth you taking time to have an uncomfortable conversation with your neighbor? Personally, I think so. If you aren't willing to do that, then leave them a note on the door at least.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Chaining/tethering pets

    Sounds more like the problem is the dog barking than it being chained up outside. I've already shared my thoughts on if the dog has food, water, shelter, and isn't running the neighborhood. While a fence is best, not ever renter or home owner can put one up.

    Anything outside of talking to the owner or buying a ultrasonic bark deterant is going to have an extremely negative impact on the dog and may end it's life.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Chaining/tethering pets

    Quote Originally Posted by Tritoon View Post
    I grew up during a time where it wasn't unusual to have outdoor pets that were in pens or chained. What I found weird is when people started kenneling their pets.

    Leave a dog inside with no food, water, bathroom or entertainment from 6am - 5pm, let them out on leash to go to bathroom, then kennel them again overnight from 7pm-6am.

    I hope the same happens to the pet owners in the next life.

    Chains are unsightly but at least the dog is outside and isn't roaming neighborhood causing damage. He could be kenneled 23.5 hours a day out of sight.
    Obviously anything taken to extreme is bad, but crate training a dog and using it during the day is about a million times better than tethering a dog. Tethering/chaining dogs makes them aggressive and antisocial, and can turn friendly dogs mean. They can't escape from predators or the elements, and it can lead to neck damage and more. Additionally, many of the people that will leave a dog chained all day don't do a good job feeding and watering their animals.

    My dogs stay inside during the day when we're at work (although they haven't for the past 6 months and who knows how they'll handle us going back to work). They've been properly house trained and crate trained, and they're very healthy and happy. The younger one (a chihuahua/pug mix) is very happy and excited to be in their crate. Our older basset doesn't get crated, but at 15 years, he deserves to be left laying where ever he wants.

    If someone doesn't have the time and resources to properly care for and house an animal, even when they're at work, they need to not adopt one.

    Crate training (done correctly) has a place in a caring home with pets. There's never a good reason for chaining a dog and leaving them unattended.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Chaining/tethering pets

    We have adopted from both the OKC and Yukon animal shelters. They both recommend crating. Our current dog already has problems with destroying the kid's toys and anything else not put up on a shelf. She has a crate strewn with various dried animal parts to keep her occupied. We have a decent sized yard, but she gets pretty stressed when left out for any lengthy period of time. When we're home on the weekends, she spends a good amount of her time sleeping in her crate with the door open.

    Obviously crating for 23.5 horus a day would be pretty bad. I don't imagine a lot of that is happening. People who think crating is bad are probably over anthropomorphizing dogs.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Chaining/tethering pets

    Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    We have adopted from both the OKC and Yukon animal shelters. They both recommend crating. Our current dog already has problems with destroying the kid's toys and anything else not put up on a shelf. She has a crate strewn with various dried animal parts to keep her occupied. We have a decent sized yard, but she gets pretty stressed when left out for any lengthy period of time. When we're home on the weekends, she spends a good amount of her time sleeping in her crate with the door open.

    Obviously crating for 23.5 horus a day would be pretty bad. I don't imagine a lot of that is happening. People who think crating is bad are probably over anthropomorphizing dogs.
    Why are dogs crated instead of trained? Only had one dog in my life (rest of my life has been cats), and she didn't need either, so honestly asking.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Chaining/tethering pets

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Why are dogs crated instead of trained? Only had one dog in my life (rest of my life has been cats), and she didn't need either, so honestly asking.
    Crating is part of training. Dogs react very well to it, and they have a natural denning instinct. They feel safer, and if introduced and used correctly, the crate provides a refuge, not a prison. It's also a part of a good housebreaking plan with young animals.

    Even when we're home so the dogs aren't "locked" in their crate, ours will often spend much of their time in there (with the door open).

  13. #13

    Default Re: Chaining/tethering pets

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Crating is part of training. Dogs react very well to it, and they have a natural denning instinct. They feel safer, and if introduced and used correctly, the crate provides a refuge, not a prison. It's also a part of a good housebreaking plan with young animals.

    Even when we're home so the dogs aren't "locked" in their crate, ours will often spend much of their time in there (with the door open).
    Good to know, thanks.

  14. Default Re: Chaining/tethering pets

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Crating is part of training. Dogs react very well to it, and they have a natural denning instinct. They feel safer, and if introduced and used correctly, the crate provides a refuge, not a prison. It's also a part of a good housebreaking plan with young animals.

    Even when we're home so the dogs aren't "locked" in their crate, ours will often spend much of their time in there (with the door open).
    Took me a long time to get my mom to stop apologizing to her dog for putting it in it's crate.... I finally explained to her that the crate was meant to be the dogs safe space and not a punishment and the light bulb came on.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Chaining/tethering pets

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Why are dogs crated instead of trained? Only had one dog in my life (rest of my life has been cats), and she didn't need either, so honestly asking.
    Crating is part of training as described above.

    I would anecdotally want to tell a story about how our house had what we found out later to be a false alarm. I met an officer at the house so he could clear it. Our dog was going nuts at the time and would have probably been shot had she not been securely in a crate.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Chaining/tethering pets

    Please don't get a dog if you are going to chain it up in the backyard for 24 hours a day. It's abuse. Especially in the winter months. As an animal lover, it's hard for me to even comprehend that there are people out there who think it's ok.
    The truth is never embarrassed by honest inquiry.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Unusual Pets
    By silvergrove in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-25-2011, 08:38 PM
  2. Anyone keep unusual pets?
    By HSC-Sooner in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-10-2009, 11:19 PM
  3. Tag your Pets
    By Keith in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-21-2005, 08:01 AM
  4. Traveling with pets
    By mranderson in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-02-2005, 05:24 PM
  5. Pets
    By mranderson in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-02-2005, 05:50 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO