Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: October 2020 - General Weather Discussion

Default Re: October 2020 - General Weather Discussion

My power has been relatively solid throughout all of this (surprisingly considering it goes out when the wind blows really hard)

But, there are a few random small flickers that cause my stomach to lurch. Since we are above freezing, I know its not getting heavier, I think its just some trees falling, but.. I'm still a bit worried.

Not looking forward to spending an arm and a leg on tree service.

Quote Originally Posted by emtefury View Post
    The lack of wind today helped with not as many trees in my area from breaking
    I have noticed more limbs falling this evening as the wind picked up.

Lost power at 7am. Still without power. Hopefully I wake up to electricity. I don't think I'm OG&E's top priority though because I checked the outage map and only 10 people in my neighborhood are without power. I might be waiting a while...

Lost Internet service for a few hours Monday evening before being restored. Electrical power is 91% restored in Stillwater as of 10:30 pm. Electrical linemen are heroes. I'd hate to imagine what they go through to fix downed power, while a cold, sometimes freezing rain is going on.

Lost Internet service for a few hours Monday evening before being restored. Electrical power is 91% restored in Stillwater as of 10:30 pm. Electrical linemen are rare heroes. I'd hate to imagine what they go through to fix downed power, while a cold, sometimes freezing rain is going on.

I lost power last night and it is *cold* and dark at my house.

About 10PM, I heard a large bang and saw a big flash of light and then everything went dark.

Our offices have been out for over 2 days now.

just got an email from OG&E stating 253,000 are without power.

That has to be some sort of record.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I lost power last night and it is *cold* and dark at my house.

About 10PM, I heard a large bang and saw a big flash of light and then everything went dark.

Our offices have been out for over 2 days now.
    My power went out at around the exact same time last night. I Had power the entire time up until that point. Thought i was going to luck out and make it through the storm without losing power. So close...

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    My power went out at around the exact same time last night. I Had power the entire time up until that point. Thought i was going to luck out and make it through the storm without losing power. So close...
    we lost power around 1pm on Monday in Edmond and got it back around 8pm last night ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    we lost power around 1pm on Monday in Edmond and got it back around 8pm last night ..
    Lost it about the same time on the eastern edge of midwest city. Still no power and the tree damage escalated significantly yesterday.

I also lost power at about 10:30 last night.

I was so close of getting through this.

I am hopeful that it will come back sooner or later, but I am currently hunting down a hotel room just in case. My house is all electric with no fireplace, so No heat, Hot-water, or be able to cook anything.

I saw a handful of electric trucks staging less than a block from my house, I am hopeful they were getting ready to start working, even if Across the street had power.

Via OG&E's System Watch Web App

Last Update: 10-28-2020 09:32:15 AM

Total Customers Affected
    This doesn’t reflect areas with less than 50 customers affected.

Oklahoma City, OK - 156,613
    Norman, OK - 12,413
    Midwest City, OK - 8,023
    Mustang, OK - 7,181
    Enid, OK - 7,157

Where is a good place to go to charge a laptop, is leadership square open?

Quote Originally Posted by Bits_Of_Real_Panther View Post
    Where is a good place to go to charge a laptop, is leadership square open?
    Maybe Cox Convention center. City has opened it till 6pm as warming shelter.

All I have seen is so much tree damage everywhere, it is crazy, I do not remember seeing that much tree damage....

17. Default Re: October 2020 - General Weather Discussion

The state and cities should really be leaning on the utilities to bury their electric lines wherever possible. Oklahoma gets enough ice, thunderstorms, and wind that there's really no excuse for not having the lines better protected when stuff like this happens. It's not as if Oklahoma getting inclement weather is a surprise to anyone. I understand that buried lines are more expensive, but cheaping out when the end result of doing so is causing the whole city to shut down is really not acceptable.

I completely agree. Especially every time a major road construction project happens they should bury the utilities at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I completely agree. Especially every time a major road construction project happens they should bury the utilities at the same time.
    Do not hold your breath on it, I am sure they will complain it will cost too much to bury the utilities so they are not going to do it

OGE has already stated it will cost $30 Billion to bury all the lines resulting in an increase of your utility bill by around $250/month. Seems like they provided the worst case scenario for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    OGE has already stated it will cost $30 Billion to bury all the lines resulting in an increase of your utility bill by around $250/month. Seems like they provided the worst case scenario for sure.
    Really? Screw that! Scott514 and Plutonic Panda, you still want the lines buried increasing your utility bill to $250 a month?

22. Default Re: October 2020 - General Weather Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    I doubt that that's a worst case scenario. The majority of houses/businesses are in areas where the buildings are smaller, on smaller lots so are more dense limiting access without tearing down fences, walls, etc. I don't think those that just throw out "bury the lines" have any idea what a colossal task we're talking about. Main lines would be an immense project themselves. Then every building with overhead service would have to be converted to underground. The latter being the responsibility of the building owner at a cost of about $800 per 100 amps of service size. This plus the additional charge from OG&E of the previously mentioned $250 a month for a long time to cover their expense. Average house is 100 or 200 amps. Average small business is 200 to 600 amps. It's just not going to happen anytime soon if ever.

Ours are buried and we still went down for 7-8 hours. If the substation goes down, you still lose power. But I agree, it's been very nice to have buried lines, my previous house downtown had above ground lines and it was a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonersFan12 View Post
    Really? Screw that! Scott514 and Plutonic Panda, you still want the lines buried increasing your utility bill to $250 a month?
    That is a scenario where they start rebuilding every single power underground and makes zero sense. It’s a ridiculous number thrown out to scare people so they can settle with imposing mediocrity on the city.

25. Default Re: October 2020 - General Weather Discussion

Our power has been out since Monday with no sign of it coming back. The damage done is devastating. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D6F7B859-F23F-480C-AEA1-5019C49A7317.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	183.5 KB 
ID:	16548Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D6F7B859-F23F-480C-AEA1-5019C49A7317.jpeg 
Views:	54 
Size:	183.5 KB 
ID:	16548

Thread Information