Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: East Edmond 2050 Plan

Edmond East Edmond 2050 Plan

Edmond has commenced in a study planning out the east side of town through a project titled East Edmond 2050. The website for the study is below as are a survey and a YouTube video of the shareholder meeting.

Website
    https://www.eastedmond2050plan.com/

Survey
    https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/eastedmond2050

Shareholder Meeting
    https://youtu.be/FL_cs1-swgw

6F12C9F5-ABBB-44AC-B746-91CA71BF5CA1.jpeg

Default Re: East Edmond 2050 Plan

I did see this a few days ago on the COE website. I am adjacent to this area. Its going to be interesting to see how this turns out. Major changes happening east of I 35 in Edmond.

3. Default Re: East Edmond 2050 Plan

There is a TON of new construction that part of the world, to go along with pretty subpar roads. They are staring at a major infrastructure problem in the next 10-15 years.

The county plan was for Douglas to be repaved this summer. I talked to the county commisioner and asked him if he would kindly hold off. A new road I would guess would be trash after doz of concrete trucks and other heavy trucks going up and down to building sites each day. I see them out of my window almost constantly. Makes better sense for new roads later in the build process. There already is water, sewer, fiber optic lines and cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    There is a TON of new construction that part of the world, to go along with pretty subpar roads. They are staring at a major infrastructure problem in the next 10-15 years.
    Same issue in the grid of roads roughly bounded by SH-74, Kilpatrick/Memorial, Piedmont Road, and Waterloo Road.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard at Remax View Post
    Maybe they should focus on fixing "west" Edmond problems first? Edmond proper has nearly 100,000 people and outside of a few streets, the city is designed for 25,000.

Back in 1980, they kept saying that the city is planning to grow. Well the planning for major streets in town didnt happen for planning for 100K plus that we will be seeing soon.

Back in 1980, they kept saying that the city is planning to grow. Well the planning for major streets in town didnt happen for planning for 100K plus that we will be seeing soon.

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    Maybe they should focus on fixing "west" Edmond problems first? Edmond proper has nearly 100,000 people and outside of a few streets, the city is designed for 25,000.
    No kidding. Almost every major street should be already be 3 lanes each way yet many still don’t even have turn lanes. Broadway though the city should a grade separated expressway. There should already be a NW loop freeway connecting I-35 to Hefner Parkway. Edmond should have double the bus service and double the mileage of bike lanes. Not to mention the city still needs to pay into a commuter rail connection. Infrastructure is criminally under built in this city it’s insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    No kidding. Almost every major street should be already be 3 lanes each way yet many still don’t even have turn lanes. Broadway though the city should a grade separated expressway. There should already be a NW loop freeway connecting I-35 to Hefner Parkway. Edmond should have double the bus service and double the mileage of bike lanes. Not to mention the city still needs to pay into a commuter rail connection. Infrastructure is criminally under built in this city it’s insane.
    This article is dated to 2012, but explains a lot of how Edmond "grew" to be where it is now:
    https://oklahoman.com/article/370775...dmonds-history

Schiermeyer retired in 2016
    https://oklahoman.com/article/553131...wledge-retires

Thanks for those links. I’ll check it out tonight. Right now Edmond is getting by. That won’t be the case much longer until gridlock begins to choke the city to the point where it begins to prohibit growth. It’s a decade or two away from getting to that point. Today Danforth was backed up almost a mile from I-35. I get Covell is closed but that’s a sign of things to come.

Thanks for those links. I’ll check it out tonight. Right now Edmond is getting by. That won’t be the case much longer until gridlock begins to choke the city to the point where it begins to prohibit growth. It’s a decade or two away from getting to that point. Today Danforth was backed up almost a mile from I-35. I get Covell is closed but that’s a sign of things to come.
    And with the new development at the Danforth northbound exit and slightly to the east -the Danforth exit will need immediate attention or exit traffic might backup all the way to Second street.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    And with the new development at the Danforth northbound exit and slightly to the east -the Danforth exit will need immediate attention or exit traffic might backup all the way to Second street.
    There is going to be a lot of that as far as things which should’ve been taken care of long ago but weren’t. The NIMBYness of the past is going to cause some severe headaches in the future.

They need to cut police funding and focus those funds to infrastructure. Edmond is well known for having more police on duty than crimes for the week, and bad traffic. Solve both.

Blog Entries

I graduated from UCO and so that area is a soft spot for me, but don't live in Edmond, so don't really have a dog in this fight. I just had a couple comments that are probably mostly unrelated.

1) It's weird to me that they don't just use I-35 as the east/west boundary
    2) I didn't realize the entirety of Lake Arcadia was not located in Edmond, that part was in OKC
    3) The only thing I want to see out of this is for the trail around Lake Arcadia to get done, and for some stubs to be put in place to eventually connect it to the rest of the metro trail network; Maybe also some foresight into alternate transportation mode connectivity back toward the west side, in particular as might pertain to any future commuter rail and bike infrastructure

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    They need to cut police funding and focus those funds to infrastructure. Edmond is well known for having more police on duty than crimes for the week, and bad traffic. Solve both.
    It’s that funding that keeps our city as safe and secure as it is. For 2019 Edmond was the 80th safest city in the country having a population of 75,000 or more. In the state, Edmond is the #1 safest city for total crime rate composed of both violent and property crimes.

With respect to the topic at hand, our police don’t have the staffing to adequately patrol east of I-35 as it is. Defunding won’t fix that and developers won’t build if their materials and equipment are free to be stolen at will without any patrol deterrent.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I graduated from UCO and so that area is a soft spot for me, but don't live in Edmond, so don't really have a dog in this fight. I just had a couple comments that are probably mostly unrelated.

3) The only thing I want to see out of this is for the trail around Lake Arcadia to get done, and for some stubs to be put in place to eventually connect it to the rest of the metro trail network; Maybe also some foresight into alternate transportation mode connectivity back toward the west side, in particular as might pertain to any future commuter rail and bike infrastructure
    Lake Arcadia should be a big focus. There is a lot of potential it just takes risks. They need to complete the two parks on the east side then once done, renovate the three initial parks. Then they need to do the boardwalk and pier as has been tossed about for years. The scenic view from the patio of a nice restaurant looking west over the lake at sunset would eclipse anything you’d experience at Lake Hefner where you simply see houses and building in the distance.

Add to that the trail encircling the lake and it could be a go to spot in the metro.

I saw where Edmond is considering contracting the sheriffs for policing operations as opposed to using municipal police East if I-35 or at least the was a question in the survey.

I saw where Edmond is considering contracting the sheriffs for policing operations as opposed to using municipal police East if I-35 or at least the was a question in the survey.
    Yeah that would never fly. The city has grown to accustomed to the level of service EPD provides. Those on the Sheriff side of the line would quickly grow bitter and let their voices be heard. I too found that question odd.

I’m pretty surprised they haven’t announced a new substation East of I-35. Not sure about the schedule now with COVID being a thing and all but the new high school was originally scheduled to begin construction in a few years and by then the city will be well over 100k with many residents opting for east Edmond.

Seems like a police substation around the Covell I-35 area is a no brainer with an upgraded lake Arcadia station that can support a small fleet of patrol cars and perhaps bike patrols for the path around Arcadia once that is completed.

I’m pretty surprised they haven’t announced a new substation East of I-35. Not sure about the schedule now with COVID being a thing and all but the new high school was originally scheduled to begin construction in a few years and by then the city will be well over 100k with many residents opting for east Edmond.

Seems like a police substation around the Covell I-35 area is a no brainer with an upgraded lake Arcadia station that can support a small fleet of patrol cars and perhaps bike patrols for the path around Arcadia once that is completed.
    Here’s part of what I “dreamt”/envisioned on the east side of the lake and added to the survey. The pier/boardwalk with restaurants and shops that cater to the lake atomisphere (fishing, general food/drinks), running, bike shop, etc.) then toward the south end of the “boardwalk” there essentially being a Public Safety Center - East composed of the PD Substation and a Fire Station located along the paved trail.

This would provide immediate access to the trail via their UTVs then could also build a new boathouse extending off the parking area for both police and fire boats. Would integrate Public Safety into the development for community interaction and consolidate the substation and lake patrol within one facility in lieu of two.

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    Here’s part of what I “dreamt”/envisioned on the east side of the lake and added to the survey. The pier/boardwalk with restaurants and shops that cater to the lake atomisphere (fishing, general food/drinks), running, bike shop, etc.) then toward the south end of the “boardwalk” there essentially being a Public Safety Center - East composed of the PD Substation and a Fire Station located along the paved trail.

This would provide immediate access to the trail via their UTVs then could also build a new boathouse extending off the parking area for both police and fire boats. Would integrate Public Safety into the development for community interaction and consolidate the substation and lake patrol within one facility in lieu of two.
    While the land/scenery is nice around the lake. The actual water is so NOT attractive. Wish it was clearer type water but that muddy look is just ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by bucktalk View Post
    While the land/scenery is nice around the lake. The actual water is so NOT attractive. Wish it was clearer type water but that muddy look is just ugly.
    I defy you to find a clear lake anywhere in Oklahoma. Your best chance is Lake Tenkiller which has scuba diving certification and is still a muddy junk pile.

Broken Bow Lake is clear.

I was looking at Google maps. I didn't realize how much land Edmond occupies. It could easily be a quarter million population city if it were developed right.

I would go a step further and claim it could host over 300k people easily. Norman has a lot of land as well.

Thread Information