Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Homeland at Lincoln and NE 36th

Blog Entries

Default Re: Homeland at Lincoln and NE 36th

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    On a side note, I drove around this area and found myself in a neighborhood behind a park called Woodlawn by NE 50th and Lincoln. The roads were super narrow, only enough for one vehicle at a time, and a really cool area with lots of neat homes. The land to the north of NE 50th(which you’re not supposed to enter) has a house that is beautiful and is of Spanish revival architecture. I really hope that place is kept. I’m going to try and get pictures of it soon.
    That was the Edwards estate I believe and is a private drive on private property. I used to office in the northernmost estate, a rambling Spanish hacienda of about 6-7,000 ft. It sits up on the hill on the northern end. Unfortunately, I don't think it has been kept up very well, but was a gem with a ballroom, large dining hall and servants' quarters.

Yes it’s posted to stay out so be aware. I had thought that property was owned by the state department of education.

Blog Entries

Yes it’s posted to stay out so be aware. I had thought that property was owned by the state department of education.
    Yes, it is now owned by the state. It's too bad because it is a fabulous piece of ground for development.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Yes, it is now owned by the state. It's too bad because it is a fabulous piece of ground for development.
    They had a development proposed IIRC but it was purely conceptual and never anywhere. At the time I was unaware of Spanish revival estate.

It is actually Woodland Park and the neighborhood back behind it to the east is the Thompson-Woodland neighborhood.

It was a really cool neighborhood with very unique houses. The streets need to be repaved.

It was a really cool neighborhood with very unique houses. The streets need to be repaved.
    It is a great neighborhood to live in. As you can see from the picture, the roads do need some help, but there is a certain charm as you are walking your dog.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	walk.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	719.8 KB 
ID:	17084

8. Default Re: Homeland at Lincoln and NE 36th

The store has already received one, normally weekly, restock shipment and has ordered a second. So far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by swosuknight View Post
    It is a great neighborhood to live in. As you can see from the picture, the roads do need some help, but there is a certain charm as you are walking your dog.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	walk.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	719.8 KB 
ID:	17084
    Lol I think I might have seen you walking your dog the other day. I was in a Prius.

That area is starting to see some new development. 3 house have been build in the last few years. 2 on Kelley just east of Thompson’s neighborhood and 1 on 42nd.

11. Default Re: Homeland at Lincoln and NE 36th

One kinda cool thing they do is make burritos to order. Whatever you want on it. And they're selling like crazy.

Blog Entries

Great tip thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    One kinda cool thing they do is make burritos to order. Whatever you want on it. And they're selling like crazy.
    I can vouch for the burritos. Very good, made to order. The Burrito Goddess heated the tortilla, filled it to my heart's desire (rice, pinto beans, chicken, lettuce, tomato, sour cream, salsa and queso), then toasted it on a press. Quality ingredients. You get your money's worth. I would have taken a pic, but I was too hungry to take the time.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    We'll never set foot in the Homeland at 18th/Classen again...
    Unfortunately, I have to take this back. The new store is great for the area, was very busy when we went, but we probably won't be going back except for maybe a few items (Red Baron sausage scrambles, for one - 18th only has bacon). They have a big organic produce section, but their deli meat is lower tier (Dietz & Watson vs. 18th having Boar's Head). They don't have as good of a selection of items overall that the 18th store has - no Oscar Meyer center cut thick-sliced bacon, no White Castle cheeseburgers (2 rows of hamburgers, though ), no FiberOne bars, no honey-pecan Philadelphia cream cheese, the cheaper/thinner brands of napkins, completely out of Nilla wafers, etc.

The food selection at the deli is good - Leo's brisket sandwich had *a ton* of meat, and it was decent quality, but their beans were weird (too much black pepper, I think). Dead flies all over the windowsills in the seating area, though (when we left, a worker was using a dustbuster to get them up!). The coffee shop's baked goods are by Quincy Bake Shop, the chocolate babka was fantastic! Unfortunately, the horchata lattes were pretty weak (a lot of reviews mention their drinks being weak). Only one cashier working, and the line was pretty long.

Absolutely wonderful that the area has that store now, and it's being patronized quite heavily, so it's a win all-around, but not worth it for us. Sticking to the 18th HL, Winco, and Sprouts/WF/NG if needed.

15. Default Re: Homeland at Lincoln and NE 36th

^
    Not surprised at the difference in product. Each store has to offer x amount of items that are in every store. Another x amount of product is open to store management and the buyers to be flexible based on demographics and what moves. The 18th & Classen store is pretty close to Heritage Hills, etc. The Lincoln store's premise is to make food available to a not so high income area.

^
    Not surprised at the difference in product. Each store has to offer x amount of items that are in every store. Another x amount of product is open to store management and the buyers to be flexible based on demographics and what moves. The 18th & Classen store is pretty close to Heritage Hills, etc. The Lincoln store's premise is to make food available to a not so high income area.
    Yeah, fully aware of the different demographics around each store, and I can understand that (or how the people that buy for the store thought about it), but it's not consistent. And actually, Homeland isn't the first store I'd go to if I were on a serious budget, but it is still fantastic that it's finally there. If they're serving Leo's BBQ and people are lining up for it with the prices they charge (they are, I was part of the line), then they can afford Boar's Head (I honestly don't know how much the price difference is between Boar's Head and Dietz & Watson (which is Crest-level deli meat), but it can't be that huge). If the 36th store stocks Rococo's pizzas (which aren't cheap, we buy them at the 18th store, they're something like $15 and it's not very big), and people are buying them, then they can afford to buy Oscar Meyer center-cut bacon. Most of the 36th store's items are exactly the same as the 18th store's, with a few exceptions. And I thought it odd that the 36th store seems to have more of an organic produce section than the 18th store, since organic is more expensive. As I said, great store for anywhere, especially that area, but far enough out of the way to not make it worthwhile, especially about the deli meat (wife loves Boar's Head).

Pete - you said you were going to shop there, have you yet and if so, what's your opinion?

Yeah, fully aware of the different demographics around each store, and I can understand that (or how the people that buy for the store thought about it), but it's not consistent. And actually, Homeland isn't the first store I'd go to if I were on a serious budget, but it is still fantastic that it's finally there. If they're serving Leo's BBQ and people are lining up for it with the prices they charge (they are, I was part of the line), then they can afford Boar's Head (I honestly don't know how much the price difference is between Boar's Head and Dietz & Watson (which is Crest-level deli meat), but it can't be that huge). If the 36th store stocks Rococo's pizzas (which aren't cheap, we buy them at the 18th store, they're something like $15 and it's not very big), and people are buying them, then they can afford to buy Oscar Meyer center-cut bacon. Most of the 36th store's items are exactly the same as the 18th store's, with a few exceptions. And I thought it odd that the 36th store seems to have more of an organic produce section than the 18th store, since organic is more expensive. As I said, great store for anywhere, especially that area, but far enough out of the way to not make it worthwhile, especially about the deli meat (wife loves Boar's Head).

Pete - you said you were going to shop there, have you yet and if so, what's your opinion?
    I am going to have to agree with Travellers here. My wife and I shopped there a couple of Saturdays ago. First, let me say that that area desperately has needed a grocery store like this for decades and they deserve this new store. I am not disparaging that in anyway.

What I will say is that I was surprised by the offerings that were expensive and how my overall bill was more expensive than I expected. I shop at the store at Britton and May and 18th fairly regularly.

I was surprised at their (36the store) meat counter, in a positive way. But also surprised, in a negative way, for their lack of offerings in other categories. At the end of the day, if I lived in the area, it would be a God send and I would adjust. However, it is not the most convenient as far as location for me, so there are other options that are closer that have a better selection as to what I want, at what I think is a better price. Again, I am thrilled that this location is available but just a little surprised at the selection and prices. So, take that for what you will.

18. Default Re: Homeland at Lincoln and NE 36th

^
    I would never say everything they do makes sense. I just know what they do as far as moving product.

^
    I would never say everything they do makes sense. I just know what they do as far as moving product.
    Ha, that about sums it up! When I asked the 18th store why they didn't carry White Castle Cheeseburgers, yet had White Castle Hamburgers (two different sized boxes) and White Castle Chicken Sandwiches and they said they weren't authorized by the warehouse (the one that they own), I just shook my head.

Blog Entries

Ha, that about sums it up! When I asked the 18th store why they didn't carry White Castle Cheeseburgers, yet had White Castle Hamburgers (two different sized boxes) and White Castle Chicken Sandwiches and they said they weren't authorized by the warehouse (the one that they own), I just shook my head.
    Is it possible they aren't talking about the logistics, but rather the purchasing terms the warehouse has with the supplier itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Is it possible they aren't talking about the logistics, but rather the purchasing terms the warehouse has with the supplier itself?
    Possible, but why? Seems kinda stupid to have a 6-pack of hamburgers, a 12-pack of hamburgers, and a 6-pack of chicken sandwiches, but not a 6-pack of cheeseburgers. And something I forgot to mention is that they *used* to carry them, then they disappeared a couple of years ago (pre-pandemic, I believe). So we just get them at Walgreen's.

22. Default Re: Homeland at Lincoln and NE 36th

The White Castle Cheeseburger thing is baffling. Can't have anything to do with demographics. Unless they didn't sell many cheeseburgers but I can't imagine they sell that many more hamburgers or chicken sandwiches.

23. Default Re: Homeland at Lincoln and NE 36th

Possible, but why? Seems kinda stupid to have a 6-pack of hamburgers, a 12-pack of hamburgers, and a 6-pack of chicken sandwiches, but not a 6-pack of cheeseburgers. And something I forgot to mention is that they *used* to carry them, then they disappeared a couple of years ago (pre-pandemic, I believe). So we just get them at Walgreen's.
    Casey's usually have them and so does Crest if you ever get a 3 AM craving and need an all night option to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    Casey's usually have them and so does Crest if you ever get a 3 AM craving and need an all night option to get them.
    Ha, thanks, we almost always have a box in the freezer. Hint - steam them for 12 mins and they come pretty close to the real thing.

25. Default Re: Homeland at Lincoln and NE 36th

Ha, thanks, we almost always have a box in the freezer. Hint - steam them for 12 mins and they come pretty close to the real thing.
    Hmmmmm.... Never tried thought about trying that.

I was in Chattanooga last week and I could smell the real thing in Nashville but we didn't go there so I had to settle for Krystal while I was in Tennessee.

Thread Information