Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The End of physical menus?

Default The End of physical menus?

Seems like most restaurants ditched their menus in the early days of Covid, due to concerns about transmission and having to sanitize the menus. Lots of places in other states now just have QR code on table or have link to the online menu.
    Even though the surface transmission of Covid was likely less than originally thought, I am hopeful that the physical menus never return. They were still pretty grimy in most places, and just seemed like a big waste of space.
    I'm curious if any local restaurants or bars have decided to give menus the ole heave-ho permanently?

Default Re: The End of physical menus?

The only place I've been to in the last few months that only had a QR code is Uncle Julio's. Most other restaurants have had a regular menu or a simple disposable paper menu.

3. Default Re: The End of physical menus?

I could see positives to having online menus. Updates and changes of individual items for instance could be done without having to print and distribute entire menus.

HangryHippo Guest

I hope so. They’re unnecessary.

I prefer a physical menu. I don't always bring my phone in with me when I go to a restaurant to eat (we prefer to have no phone temptation at the table). Even if I did, having to navigate a menu on an app or a web page (and a special boo for any place that does make you install an app to be their customer) is much more difficult that looking at a physical menu. Also? There are a lot of people without smart phones, as hard as that is to believe... and it's not always a financial decision.

Disposable menus are a fine option, or if menus are laminated they can be cleaned between uses.

They are very wasteful and pretty gross if you think about it...

But a ton of older patrons are never going to be able to get with the QR code thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I prefer a physical menu. I don't always bring my phone in with me when I go to a restaurant to eat (we prefer to have no phone temptation at the table). Even if I did, having to navigate a menu on an app or a web page (and a special boo for any place that does make you install an app to be their customer) is much more difficult that looking at a physical menu. Also? There are a lot of people without smart phones, as hard as that is to believe... and it's not always a financial decision.

Disposable menus are a fine option, or if menus are laminated they can be cleaned between uses.
    Seconded, I don't want to have to screw with my phone to see the menu, and there are actually people out there that don't have a smartphone or cell phone at all (pretty small number, though, I'm guessing, and not sure they'd be eating out at restaurants anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by KTB View Post
    The only place I've been to in the last few months that only had a QR code is Uncle Julio's. Most other restaurants have had a regular menu or a simple disposable paper menu.
    There are a few places off the top of my head that I've been to in the last few that had QR codes only: The Jones Assembly, Scratch, and I want to say OSO... there are a few more that are slipping my mind.

It really makes a lot of sense for counter-service places.

Go sit down and place your order, rather than standing in a line.

Agreed. Plus paper is recyclable and it's not like there is a pulp shortage.

11. Default Re: The End of physical menus?

Chalk had the QR codes on the table when I was there a couple weeks ago. Works better than trying to catch what you want on their big TV screens as they cycled through the menu pages. They did offer an option for throwaway paper menus if we didn't opt for the QR scan method.

Oso menu is online.

w
    What is a QR code? sorry i guess i will be one who does not know when I return to eating out. I am one who leaves my phone at home.

14. Default Re: The End of physical menus?

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    w
    What is a QR code? sorry i guess i will be one who does not know when I return to eating out. I am one who leaves my phone at home.
    The little square box thing with a mix of black and white dots you see on a lot of stuff lately.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	64D422F3-3FB8-4339-AD01-13E92A718E99.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	16474

ok then what so you do with it?

16. Default Re: The End of physical menus?

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    ok then what so you do with it?
    You download a QR reader app on your smartphone then use it to read the code which will open up their menu on a web page.

With most phones, you just open your camera and hover over the code and it will then provide a link to follow for the menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    The little square box thing with a mix of black and white dots you see on a lot of stuff lately.
    You missed out on a great opportunity to use this one...

Name:	60c14a43fb4745795b3b358868517e79.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	16475

19. Default Re: The End of physical menus?

You missed out on a great opportunity to use this one...

Name:	60c14a43fb4745795b3b358868517e79.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	16475
    I just used the first one that came up on a search. I don't even know what it was.

Thanks for explaining this to me.

21. Default Re: The End of physical menus?

I was in Las Vegas this past week and every place had them. I totally understand why they do it but I couldn't help that it felt cheapen the experience, especially at the really nice places. Nothing like everything laid out in front of you instead of scrolling. I'm probably in the minority though

Just one of those things we'll have to get used to.

If you think about handling a menu, it's pretty disgusting no matter how they clean them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Just one of those things we'll have to get used to.

If you think about handling a menu, it's pretty disgusting no matter how they clean them.
    But also most likely lower risk for catching COVID-19 than actually sitting eating/drinking/talking in a restaurant during a meal since fomite transmission isn't as easy as once thought.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    But also most likely lower risk for catching COVID-19 than actually sitting eating/drinking/talking in a restaurant during a meal since fomite transmission isn't as easy as once thought.
    I meant disgusting in general, not just in terms of Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I meant disgusting in general, not just in terms of Covid.
    Yeah, true, but in general, our immune systems can handle that. Just think about all the door handles you touch, the people that you have no idea if they've washed their hands after using the restroom and touch those door handles, your phone, keypads at ATMs, etc. Those kind of germs are all around us every day, but not too bothersome for the great majority of people (counting the minutes until somebody says it's the same for the coronavirus ).

Thread Information