Widgets Magazine

Thread: Justice Ginsburg Has Passed Away

Default Justice Ginsburg Has Passed Away

Default Re: Justice Ginsburg Has Passed Away

Crap. And this is gonna get nasty.

If the GOP is determined to rush through a nomination is there any parliamentarian or legal way for the Dems to slow them down or prevent them?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Crap. And this is gonna get nasty.

If the GOP is determined to rush through a nomination is there any parliamentarian or legal way for the Dems to slow them down or prevent them?
    Nope

4. Default Re: Justice Ginsburg Has Passed Away

“The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president.” - Mitch McConnell 2016

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    “The American people should have a voice in the selection of their next Supreme Court Justice. Therefore, this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president.” - Mitch McConnell 2016
    That's not gonna make a difference. They've already prerationalized it a bit ago when he was asked a hypothetical about this exact situation.

The big question is if 4 Republicans will refuse.tk confirm anyone. I could see Romney for one. That could depend on his presidential aspirations.

6. Default Re: Justice Ginsburg Has Passed Away

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    That's not gonna make a difference. They've already prerationalized it a bit ago when he was asked a hypothetical about this exact situation.
    I totally agree. Just wanted to put McConnell's hypocrisy on the record.

McConnell has already said the nominee will get a vote:

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/...19229750173696

The amount of hypocrisy in this party is just staggering.

Blog Entries

Default Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87.

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87.

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, a diminutive yet towering women’s rights champion who became the court’s second female justice, died Friday at her home in Washington. She was 87.--AP - Oklahoman, September 18, 2020

Default Re: Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87.

Blog Entries

Didn't check the politics thread. Thanks for the update...

Oh no!

12. Default Re: Justice Ginsburg Has Passed Away

Rest in peace to a woman who fought so fervently and adamantly for what she believed in. Regardless of her political orientation, she embodied many of the qualities that makes this country great – tenacity, determination, and persistence.

I know I have a lot of friends who are completely heart broken tonight. It's one more hit of 2020 for them. Regardless of whether I agreed with her rulings, she was a valuable voice on the court and will be missed by many.

Didn't fact pattern than 2016.

The justice dictated a statement to her granddaughter in the days before her death, NPR reported. Ginsburg said: “My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed.”

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    https://twitter.com/SenSchumer/statu...963428357?s=20

Trump initial response to hearing the news....

“She just died? Wow, I didn't know that — I just, uh, you’re telling me now for the first time,” Trump said on the tarmac as Elton John’s “Tiny Dancer,” a staple of the house music at the president’s rallies, could be heard in the background.

“She led an amazing life,” Trump continued. “What else can you say? She was an amazing woman, whether you agreed or not, she was an amazing woman who led an amazing life. Um, actually saddened to hear. I am saddened to hear that.”

https://news.yahoo.com/watch-trump-r...st_sjwumo1bpf4

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    The justice dictated a statement to her granddaughter in the days before her death, NPR reported. Ginsburg said: “My most fervent wish is that I will not be replaced until a new president is installed.”
    So wait if Trump wins she doesn't want her seat filled until 2024 when there is a "new president"? I guess she can wish for that.

I think Oklahoma can best remember Ginsburg during her younger legal career when in 1976 she helped get the U. S. Supreme Court in Craig vs Boren to see in a 7 to 2 landmark decision that the Oklahoma law that let females legally buy 3.2% beer at age 18 but males had to wait until 21 was unjust gender discrimination and was unconstitutional. As a result the college bar scene in Stillwater multiplied like crazy. Surely, Norman, too.

McConnell’s reasoning is that Obama was a lame duck president.
    (Excuse me, Mitch. I missed that in the constitution)
    Truly, a simple solution/compromise that goes right along with the spirit of McConnell’s thinking in 2016 — Let Trump nominate someone, but only go forward after we know if Trump has been re-elected on November 3rd. If not, he would withdrawal the nomination and “letting the people decide” the Senate would then await President Biden’s nomination anytime after 12:01pm on January 20th, 2021.
    This is a serious proposal. Democrats and Republicans should have no problem with this as it would be the same scenario as 2016. Anything less, and moving a nomination forward, would truly be hypocritical at its worst — possibly literally the worst in the political arena — where we all know hypocrisy reigns. That’s saying something.

Well we should let Ginsburg rest in peace. But this is gonna get ugly in Congress incredibly ugly. I wonder if this will basically hold up any type of stimulus bill considering how the senate basically did nothing for the past 4 months. I guess we get the senate that we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I think Oklahoma can best remember Ginsburg during her younger legal career when in 1976 she helped get the U. S. Supreme Court in Craig vs Boren to see in a 7 to 2 landmark decision that the Oklahoma law that let females legally buy 3.2% beer at age 18 but males had to wait until 21 was unjust gender discrimination and was unconstitutional. As a result the college bar scene in Stillwater multiplied like crazy. Surely, Norman, too.
    I had forgotten about this. Looking back, how did anyone in their right mind think they could get away with selling something - only to females? The appendage disqualified you from a retail purchase. What weird times.

Yes. RIP to RBG. Agree or disagree — she was a giant of the court.

Thread Information