Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Alliance for Economic Development

Default Re: The Alliance for Economic Development of Oklahoma City

The way I read the story, it appeared to me that O'Connor had been in OKC government for 30 years before her current job with The Alliance. That suggests 40 years in administration and around 60 years old. Seems like a good time to slow down a bit while staying engaged.

From the website theallianceokc.org/meetings":
    "All meetings are regularly scheduled meetings in accordance with the Oklahoma Open Meeting Act and are subject to change or cancellation. In the event of a change or cancellations, proper notification will be made."

Also, regardless of the above, the bylaws would still be accessible through the IRS.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

The Alliance was established specifically so they could conduct negotiations outside the open meetings and records laws.

They are not registered as a public body, but rather as a private nonprofit organization.

This setup was created specifically to keep matters private and was the brainchild of the Alliance board chairman, Larry Nichols.
    which was modeled on similar org's in several other cities ..

Quote Originally Posted by fortpatches View Post
    From the website theallianceokc.org/meetings":
    "All meetings are regularly scheduled meetings in accordance with the Oklahoma Open Meeting Act and are subject to change or cancellation. In the event of a change or cancellations, proper notification will be made."

Also, regardless of the above, the bylaws would still be accessible through the IRS.
    The meetings they are referencing are for such public bodies as the OKC Urban Renewal Authority (OCURA), the Economic Development Trust, and a few others.

The Alliance is the umbrella under which all those public groups operate. The minutes and agendas are public for those public entities but not for the Alliance itself.

This is important because even though a tremendous amount of taxpayer dollars are funneled through these committees (as in billions), O'Connor and Co. can and do merely put on their Alliance hat (she also runs those other entities) and handle things secretly (and outside open records laws) long before they come to those committees for public discussion. And by that time, the deals are already struck and approval in a public forum is a mere formality. In fact, in a decade of following all of this, those committees and ultimately city council have given approval 100% of the time.

If you read upthread, you'll see a lot of informed discussion including specific examples where I thought the Alliance was used in inappropriate ways.

And I will also say, when O'Connor and the Alliance go to Steve Lackmeyer to feed him a story, there is almost always a hidden agenda and they want to put a certain story out before information hits the agendas of various public bodies. This is why I am skeptical about this move and absolutely discount this particular 'story'. It's based on ample experience.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    which was modeled on similar org's in several other cities ..
    Just because others do something doesn't mean it's moral, ethical, correct, legal, or the right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Just because others do something doesn't mean it's moral, ethical, correct, legal, or the right thing to do.
    Or, that OKC is using that model in the same way as other cities.

And of course, there are plenty of cities that don't operate this way at all.

Have there been lawsuits over this to get the meeting agendas, minutes, and records?
    The way you and others in this thread have described the operation of that organization, it is not exempt from the Open Meetings Act.

This isn't my area of law, but reading a few dozen of the AG responses and a couple court cases earlier today seems to suggest that the Alliance should be Open.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    it also doesn't mean it is not moral, ethical, correct, legal or the right thing to do... .

Quote Originally Posted by fortpatches View Post
    Have there been lawsuits over this to get the meeting agendas, minutes, and records?
    The way you and others in this thread have described the operation of that organization, it is not exempt from the Open Meetings Act.

This isn't my area of law, but reading a few dozen of the AG responses and a couple court cases earlier today seems to suggest that the Alliance should be Open.
    Yes, there have been legal challenges.

But, the city attorney's office vigorously defends this position as has the Oklahoma attorney general.

I've been dealing with these issues for about 10 years now and have a ton more info if you'd like to send me a private message. I've been directly involved with this entire subject.

Default Re: The Alliance for Economic Development

So what happens in the court? They just win every case? Doesn’t the Fair Board operate this way too? Closed meetings…

Thread Information