Widgets Magazine

Thread: Recall of City Council

Default Recall of City Council

Well this looks like it turned into a epic fail.
    The one victory was obtained by less than 10 valid signatures.
    The voters are not as mad at the city government as some folks allege.

UPDATED: Norman city clerk announces results of recall petition validation | News | normantranscript.com
    https://www.normantranscript.com/new...dc786fb32.html

Default Re: Recall of City Council

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Well this looks like it turned into a epic fail.
    The one victory was obtained by less than 10 valid signatures.
    The voters are not as mad at the city government as some folks allege.

UPDATED: Norman city clerk announces results of recall petition validation | News | normantranscript.com
    https://www.normantranscript.com/new...dc786fb32.html
    What a bunch of vindictive losers on that council. Even though only 1 will have to face a recall election, others are saying they will print the names of all those who signed the recall petitions. D**n, l would be suing the **** out of them, not to mention making the rest of their miserable lives even more miserable if someone did that to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    What a bunch of vindictive losers on that council. Even though only 1 will have to face a recall election, others are saying they will print the names of all those who signed the recall petitions. D**n, l would be suing the **** out of them, not to mention making the rest of their miserable lives even more miserable if someone did that to me.
    Sue them for what? That's a public document that anyone and everyone should be able to view. Transparency and such.

In fact a couple of cops printed the address of a council member online. The NPD said no foul, that's public records.

https://www.atinitonews.com/2020/07/...r-being-raped/

Scott’s criticism of Norman Police has made her a favorite villain in some pro-police circles in the city. A recent Facebook post shared by a Norman Police officer called her “another AOC,” in reference to the New York representative who has become a boogeyperson for conservatives.

That same police officer, John Barbour, is one of two under investigation for sharing Scott’s personal details shortly after her testimony on police defunding. In posts first reported by the Norman Transcript, Barbour made a Facebook post sharing an unredacted video of police responding to Scott’s 911 call in May. (Although details of the video remain unconfirmed, they align with Scott’s own testimony about calling 911 on a stalker that month.)

The police department noted that since Barbour claimed to have obtained the video from a third party who obtained it through a public records request, the officers’ posts appear to be legal.

You probably won't see that in LAW ENFORCEMENT TODAY.

It's legal, but it's still seems punitive and hence chilling when threatened by a siting councilperson. I think most people don't consider the fact that their signature could get publicised when signing a petition. That knowledge could have affected something like the medical marijuana initiative.

This is unfortunate. Can they try again?

I'm glad it failed. Elections have consequences. If you don't like the result, run a better candidate, vote and try to get others to vote.
    A vocal minority (barely 25% of registered voters) should not be overturning the will of the people. And I understand that even less than 25% of registered voters actually voted these public servants into office. Again elections have consequences and if you can't get out to vote, don't complain if you don't agree with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    It's legal, but it's still seems punitive and hence chilling when threatened by a siting councilperson. I think most people don't consider the fact that their signature could get publicised when signing a petition. That knowledge could have affected something like the medical marijuana initiative.
    I am sympathetic to the position you are taking, but there is a flip side.
    In the recall for mayor there were over 3k invalid signatures. Biermann is transcribing this and the other petitions into a pdf format that can be searched by keyword. With the amount of invalid signatures I believe residents should be able to search these public documents to see if someone else signed their name.
    Nothing unethical or punitive about that.

The release of information on a public document, in and of itself, may not be illegal. But depending on the laws of the state, if the release of the information is to cause harm or in retalliation, the release can still be illegal. The Supreme Court ruling left it open for privacy exemptions to be possible.

I don't know about OK, but in CO there are privacy laws so it would be illegal. if my family, my business career or l suffered as a result of the release, l would still strive to make life miserable for this councilperson.

The issue with the police officers is legal because being on the city council requires that information to be public. It's different for private individuals.

Thread Information