Widgets Magazine

Thread: PikePass for driving new car from Tulsa to OKC

Default PikePass for driving new car from Tulsa to OKC

I will be picking up a new car possibly this weekend from a dealer in Tulsa, and realized I had a minor logistical problem relating to a PikePass.

I can't get a new PikePass for the car because it won't have a tag yet (dealer tag, obviously) but if I drive on the Turner Turnpike back home without one I'll get zapped for toll violations.

I looked around some of the FAQ pages on the PikePass website and they don't address the issue. I realize the situation is a little out of the ordinary, but after weeks of looking and pricing, I was offered an exceptional deal and decided it was worth the extra inconvenience of driving to TTown to pick up the car.

Can I get a PikePass with just the vehicle VIN and no tag?

Default Re: PikePass for driving new car from Tulsa to OKC

Uhhh, maybe I'm missing a key detail here, but why don't you just pay the toll like everyone else without a PikePass so you avoid getting "zapped for toll violations"?

3. Default Re: PikePass for driving new car from Tulsa to OKC

As far as I know you can’t. You have to stop and pay the tolls.

4. Default Re: PikePass for driving new car from Tulsa to OKC

Another option, if paying cash tolls doesn't appeal to you, would be to exit I-44 at the State Highway 66 exit (221B) and take that down to Edmond (it comes out at 2nd Street). It takes a little bit longer but it's the route of old US-66 and could be a lot of fun if you've never done it before.

I didn't think there were any cash lanes left anymore. Not trying to beat the system, geez.

I was able to get my Pikepass while I still had the temporary tag on my car since I used the turnpike often. I was then able to input my tag online when I got my tag.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    I didn't think there were any cash lanes left anymore. Not trying to beat the system, geez.
    I just drove a new sprinter limo back from Chicago last week. No issue using cash.

I think a couple of my tags still show TBD-123 on Pikepass. Registered a while back, but they gave me a sticker.

Just checked and I lied... It is TBD-456. Not sure why I chose those numbers that day...

The cash toll is $5 though, so be ready

11. Default Re: PikePass for driving new car from Tulsa to OKC

If the booths aren't open for cash, and you don't have a plate yet but have a temporary tag, my understanding is that they can still find you. The temporary plates have more information on them now, so they may be able to track that down, although you might see a significant delay in getting the bill. For obvious reasons, they wouldn't want to have this blatant opening for free turnpike rides, so i'm sure there's a counter to it. It may be that they can cross-check and see you're a pikepass holder and ding your account for it instead of sending a bill.

When in doubt, call PikePass...

I will be picking up a new car possibly this weekend from a dealer in Tulsa, and realized I had a minor logistical problem relating to a PikePass.

I can't get a new PikePass for the car because it won't have a tag yet (dealer tag, obviously) but if I drive on the Turner Turnpike back home without one I'll get zapped for toll violations.

I looked around some of the FAQ pages on the PikePass website and they don't address the issue. I realize the situation is a little out of the ordinary, but after weeks of looking and pricing, I was offered an exceptional deal and decided it was worth the extra inconvenience of driving to TTown to pick up the car.

Can I get a PikePass with just the vehicle VIN and no tag?
    if you want you can go to a pike pass service office (like at 122nd and I35 south west corner) and get a mobile pike pass ( ie it is portable and able to change cars) you just need to tell them that you change cars for work (or use a rent a car or whatever)

When using a paper tag, I've never had a bill sent to me going through the toll. You should still be able to use cash though, may be a good idea to bring a roll of quarters if the booth is closed.

Turner Turnpike is part of the interstate system. There are literally thousands of vehicles a day that use it to go from points northeast (Missouri, Illinois, New York, etc) to points west and south (Texas, California). Unless you live in Oklahoma, there's practically no chance you have a PikePass on your car. For example, whenever I drive back and forth from St. Louis, I don't have a PikePass. You just pay cash - one time - near Stroud.

I guess I don't understand the question.

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post
    Turner Turnpike is part of the interstate system. There are literally thousands of vehicles a day that use it to go from points northeast (Missouri, Illinois, New York, etc) to points west and south (Texas, California). Unless you live in Oklahoma, there's practically no chance you have a PikePass on your car. For example, whenever I drive back and forth from St. Louis, I don't have a PikePass. You just pay cash - one time - near Stroud.

I just wanted to know how to get a PikePass for a new car with no tag. I thought all cash lanes were removed. That was apparently wrong. Sorry to bother.

16. Default Re: PikePass for driving new car from Tulsa to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by stlokc View Post

Electronic-only toll roads do exist in other states. At these toll plazas, the turnpike authority takes a photo of your plate, tracks down your information, and mails you a bill, usually at a rate that's quite a bit higher than the sticker rate. Interstate status does not affect this—Kansas is building an interchange that works this way on I-35 in Wichita.

Take highway 33 or 66,,,why do you HAVE to take the turnpike?

The absolute best part about a 30 day tag is the free tolls. Seriously though, it really is

I just wanted to know how to get a PikePass for a new car with no tag. I thought all cash lanes were removed. That was apparently wrong. Sorry to bother.
    The toll booth is at the halfway mark, the town of Stroud, just the other side of the halfway McDonalds/gas station/service plaza, (I'm referencing from the direction going from OKC to Tulsa). It's big, you can't miss it. Stop and take a quick break, take a pic of the car, enjoy.

20. Default Re: PikePass for driving new car from Tulsa to OKC

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    Take highway 33 or 66,,,why do you HAVE to take the turnpike?
    I did this with a used Harley that I bought from a dealer in Tulsa. 66 made the ride home kinda fun instead of just getting home.

21. Default Re: PikePass for driving new car from Tulsa to OKC

You're not crazy in thinking this. PikePass has been discussing converting to booth-less systems. I swear there was an article in the Oklahoman about it within the last year. I thought they mentioned which pike they would start with, but danged if i can remember which one it was.

It keeps you from having to stop if you don't have a pass. You aren't hosed if you run out of cash/quarters and they still dont take plastic in 2020 (i mean freaking come on). You don't have to exchange money from who knows who all has touched it that day as its changed hands (look at the gloves they wear during COVID and see how black they get from handling money).

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    You're not crazy in thinking this. PikePass has been discussing converting to booth-less systems. I swear there was an article in the Oklahoman about it within the last year. I thought they mentioned which pike they would start with, but danged if i can remember which one it was.

It keeps you from having to stop if you don't have a pass. You aren't hosed if you run out of cash/quarters and they still dont take plastic in 2020 (i mean freaking come on). You don't have to exchange money from who knows who all has touched it that day as its changed hands (look at the gloves they wear during COVID and see how black they get from handling money).
    they are going to convert all of the system to the pay plate system

AET/ETC conversion is all over their 5 year capital plan (AET = All-Electronic tolling/ ETC Electronic toll collection)
    Kilpatrick AET Conversion (JKT-MC-14) Kilpatrick Tpk 2020 $2,000,000 $240,000 $240,000 $2,480,000
    Toll Upgrades and equipment related to ETC Various Locations 2020 $6,390,436 $0 $0 $6,390,436
    Toll Upgrades and equipment related to ETC & Cash Various Locations 2020 $4,591,142 $0 $0 $4,591,142
    Toll Toll equipment upgrade to prepare for AET Kilpatrick & Creek Turnpikes 2020 $10,000,000 $0 $0 $10,000,000
    Marketing Marketing AET/Driving Forward Various Locations 2020 $500,000 $0 $0 $500,000

Creek AET Conversion Creek Tpk 2021 $2,000,000 $200,000 $200,000 $2,400,000
    Toll Toll equipment upgrade to prepare for AET Cimarron Turnpike 2021 $7,600,000 $0 $0 $7,600,000
    Toll Upgrades and equipment related to ETC Various Locations 2021 $2,312,495 $0 $0 $2,312,495
    Toll Upgrades and equipment related to ETC & Cash Various Locations 2021 $4,135,202 $0 $0 $4,135,202

Cimarron AET Conversion (C-MC-29) SH-99 / US-177 / Spur 2022 $5,000,000 $288,000 $300,000 $5,588,000
    Toll Toll equipment upgrade to prepare for AET Muskogee Turnpike 2022 $8,100,000 $0 $0 $8,100,000
    Toll Upgrades and equipment related to ETC Various Locations 2022 $2,403,120 $0 $0 $2,403,120
    Toll Upgrades and equipment related to ETC & Cash Various Locations 2022 $2,443,180 $0 $0 $2,443,180

Muskogee AET Conversion Muskogee Tpk 2023 $1,500,000 $240,000 $240,000 $1,980,000
    Toll Toll equipment upgrade to prepare for AET Indian Nation Turnpike 2023 $8,505,000 $0 $0 $8,505,000
    Toll Upgrades and equipment related to ETC Various Locations 2023 $2,498,276 $0 $0 $2,498,276
    RFID Reader Upgrade Various Locations 2023 $10,000,000
    Toll Upgrades and equipment related to ETC & Cash Various Locations 2023 $2,530,964 $0 $0 $2,530,964

Cherokee AET Conversion Various 2024 $1,000,000 $240,000 $240,000 $1,480,000
    Indian Nation AET Conversion Indian Nation Tpk 2024 $1,500,000 $240,000 $240,000 $1,980,000
    Toll Toll equipment upgrade to prepare for AET Cherokee Turnpike 2024 $8,930,250 $0 $0 $8,930,250
    Toll Upgrades and equipment related to ETC Various Locations 2024 $3,273,190 $0 $0 $3,273,190
    Toll Upgrades and equipment related to ETC & Cash Various Locations 2024 $2,623,138 $0 $0 $2,623,138

Thread Information