Widgets Magazine

Thread: Ward 5 & other River south areas Is infrastructure affecting home values?

South OKC Ward 5 & other River south areas Is infrastructure affecting home values?

I was listening to the September 1 city council meeting and David Greenwell had proposed each ward receive 2,250,000 from Community and Neighborhood Enhancements excess collections to allocate as they see fit. His argument was that infrastructure in ward 5 is in such disrepair that firetrucks won't drive down some arterial streets, frequent closures on 1240 access roads, and complaints from residents that it is making it difficult to sell houses in some areas. For those who live river south what do think?

Default Re: Ward 5 & other River south areas Is infrastructure affecting home values?

It's a good idea. There are many streets here (like S. May from OCCC to SW 89th) that are worse than dirt country roads! The intersection at SW 89 & May has major issues. They finally did SW 104th, but the intersection at SW 104 & Western needs major work.

I didn't know about the firetrucks having a difficult time driving down some of the streets, but that isn't good.

I know Greenwell personally, and if he says there are complaints and problems, I'll take his word for it...and we'd love to see improvements on streets--such as S. Portland/I-44 Service Road--between SW 104th & SW 119th. We can only drive on it if we're in the pickup; it tears up the car!

Default Re: Ward 5 & other River south areas Is infrastructure affecting home values?

Quote Originally Posted by old okie View Post
    It's a good idea. There are many streets here (like S. May from OCCC to SW 89th) that are worse than dirt country roads! The intersection at SW 89 & May has major issues. They finally did SW 104th, but the intersection at SW 104 & Western needs major work.

I didn't know about the firetrucks having a difficult time driving down some of the streets, but that isn't good.

I know Greenwell personally, and if he says there are complaints and problems, I'll take his word for it...and we'd love to see improvements on streets--such as S. Portland/I-44 Service Road--between SW 104th & SW 119th. We can only drive on it if we're in the pickup; it tears up the car!
    I still remember the first time I drove over SW 89th heading north on May after moving to Oklahoma in 2015...I swear I thought I had destroyed my car because I had no idea about the "dips" on either side of SW 89th in that intersection. Quite possibly the dumbest street design in the entire city.

You're right!

And another thing is that if streets can't be paved due to lack of funds, then PAINT the lane lines on ALL of OKC streets! That would help the entire city!

I live in the neighborhood across from OCCC. I wouldn't say they're worse than dirt roads. That's a severe exaggeration. However, I would say that May from 89th to at least I-240 needs a revamp ASAP. They're repaving the streets in the neighborhoods around OCCC, so redoing May and building more sidewalks should be part of the plan down here. Especially considering home values are starting to appreciate pretty nicely in this part of the city.

Thanks for the reply! I was beginning to think I was the only Southsider on the forum. Unfortunately, Greenwell's proposal was not passed. Perhaps we need to start calling the city manager and department heads. The way the city council is setup Greenwell can't get much traction.

I still forget ever once in awhile about the dip!

Thread Information