Widgets Magazine

Thread: Jollibee

Default Jollibee

So has anyone been to a Jollibee. Been hearing a lot of buzz about this place. I know they are planning on tripling their numbers of locations. Any chance Oklahoma gets one? https://jollibeeusa.com/

Default Re: Jollibee

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    So has anyone been to a Jollibee. Been hearing a lot of buzz about this place. I know they are planning on tripling their numbers of locations. Any chance Oklahoma gets one? https://jollibeeusa.com/
    They just opened up in Plano at Preston Road and the President George Tollway. I have not tried it. This is their first DFW location. They also have one or more in Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    They just opened up in Plano at Preston Road and the President George Tollway. I have not tried it. This is their first DFW location. They also have one or more in Houston.
    Website shows 2 in Houston but not the one in Plano https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic1EuiEovHs

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Website shows 2 in Houston but not the one in Plano https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic1EuiEovHs
    Kinda looks like the Chuck-E-Cheese of the fast food industry.

I haven't been, but it is really popular back home and all of my Filipino friends like it. I don't know if the food is particularly good (it is fast food after all) but it definitely fills a niche.

They’re about to open their first location here in San Antonio. I’ve never had it before, but I’ve heard a lot of good things about it so I’m excited to try it when it opens.

I’ve eaten there and i thought their fried chicken was good for a fast food chicken joint. They’re also known for their spaghetti. It was a little weird to me as it had a sweetness to it that I’m not accustomed to. I liked it more than my wife did. It’s been a while but I remember it being pretty cheap.

I went to one while in Guam for work there food is pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by bhawes View Post
    I went to one while in Guam for work there food is pretty good.
    Hafa Adai!
    Sorry, for you folks that haven't been to Guam, Hafa Adai is a little like Aloha in Hawaii.
    C. T.

It's alright. It's what you'd expect for a fast food restaurant. Very popular on the west coast and in the Philippines. Filipino spaghetti is VERY sweet compared to what we're used to here. They also put hot dogs in it. The palabok (Filipino noodle dish) is better IMO. The peach mango pies are delicious. The Chicken Joy is on par with the other chicken fast food joints, if not better.

Rumor (don't think it's true) is that Jollibee opens up restaurants wherever there are at least 50,000 Filipinos. Houston has a large Filipino population, but I don't think DFW has that population. It'd be cool to have one in OKC.

11. Default Re: Jollibee

I lived in the Philippines for a time, and the Filipinos are very proud of Jollibee. I don't understand the hypetrain as it's probably the nastiest, bottom of the barrel quality food even for fast food that I've ever had. Now, I've never eaten at a US location and hope the quality is higher here.

Quote Originally Posted by fromdust View Post
    I lived in the Philippines for a time, and the Filipinos are very proud of Jollibee. I don't understand the hypetrain as it's probably the nastiest, bottom of the barrel quality food even for fast food that I've ever had. Now, I've never eaten at a US location and hope the quality is higher here.
    I have watch some online reviews from food reviewers on You Tube. Sounds like the Chicken and the mango peach pie are the only reason to go. Some like the spaghetti but wouldn't order it again. I saw one with a chicken sandwich they loved. No one cared for the Burger. The beef gravy thing looked ok but small.

Kind of just seems like another fast food chicken place that has some odd things on the side.

I guess it's only a matter of time before they build one. I had thought they were only building stores on the coasts. But there's even one in Arizona. So I'd say there's a decent chance we'd get one later at some point.

14. Default Re: Jollibee

its a matter of filipino pride more than anything. Hey, we have a popular restaurant type of thing.

That said, some of their dishes are good if you don't really have mom-pop filipino restaurants; not sure where OKC stands on this but I know OKC does have a sizeable filipino population.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I left OKC 5 years ago and Ive lived in China most of the time but now Im stuck in Vietnam due to Covid. I've ate Jollibee in Hong Kong and The Philippines and I eat it a little now that I'm in Saigon. The price is usually fairly cheap for the most part and the chicken joy with a side of rice and cheap gravy taste okay.

The positive is that the chicken is not too greasy or too heavy and the rice taste okay considering its fast food. But I'd say for the most part its just okay not good and not bad either. You are not missing anything if you've never ate it before. Just like plenty of other fast food places its bearable when you want cheap fast food.

I remember hearing about this place on one of Anthony Bourdain's shows, I think "Parts Unknown" maybe.

17. Default Re: Jollibee

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    its a matter of filipino pride more than anything. Hey, we have a popular restaurant type of thing.
    I'm no aficionado on Filipino food but Chibugan in Del City has never disappointed me.

I've not been there since before the Covid outbreak so I can only assume that Chibugan, and the other Filipino restaurant across the street from them, are still open for business.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post

That said, some of their dishes are good if you don't really have mom-pop filipino restaurants; not sure where OKC stands on this but I know OKC does have a sizeable filipino population.
    As mentioned earlier, Chibugan (near Tinker) is very good!

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post
    I believe the Chibugan owner is trying to sell it as he's moving to Alaska? The Filipino Fusion Food Truck (often a staple at Bleu Garten) is awesome as well.

Per 2010 census, Greater Houston had 48,000 Filipinos and DFW in 2012 had 40,000. Of course these numbers were from 8-10 years ago. Greater Houston probably has 60,000+ now?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    I'm no aficionado on Filipino food but Chibugan in Del City has never disappointed me.

I've not been there since before the Covid outbreak so I can only assume that Chibugan, and the other Filipino restaurant across the street from them, are still open for business.
    I never got to try the other one. I found out they closed their shop and just do catering now. Chibugan is really good. I'm open to more filipino restaurants or businesses. Makes for some good diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerman View Post
    Per 2010 census, Greater Houston had 48,000 Filipinos and DFW in 2012 had 40,000. Of course these numbers were from 8-10 years ago. Greater Houston probably has 60,000+ now?
    I think the thing about Houston is that there is a high concentration of Filipinos near the Texas Medical Center whereas the Fil-Am community in DFW is spread out. The Philippines' biggest exports are its nurses, doctors, and various others professionals in the medical field. There's a Little Manila area in Houston near the Medical Center where famous Filipino chains have set up shop (Jollibee, Max's, and Red Ribbon Bakery.) Houston's had a Jollibee for years now and recently opened up a second.

The one I went to in Guam had pretty good chicken and the peach mango pie was good.

24. Default Re: Jollibee

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post
    guys, that's good to hear. I knew OKC has always had a sizeable filipino community but I wasn't sure if they were that vested in the city as we know the vietnamese, chinese, taiwanese, korean, guatamalen, el salvadoran, peruvians, and esp mexican communities are (as far a foreigners/immigrants).\

Hopefully OKC can get a Jollibee in MWC, not that it's good or appealing to americans but for the sake of the community every large metro with a sizeable filipino community needs at least one.

25. Default Re: Jollibee

Here is great info on Jollibee. I predict one or two in OKC within a year or so. https://youtu.be/ic1EuiEovHs

Thread Information