Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Charcoal Oven new location

Default Re: Charcoal Oven new location

Quote Originally Posted by billokc View Post
    I had lunch the other day next door at the Patty Wagon. I curiously asked the owner/manager her thoughts about having competition move in next door. She's actually looking forward to it to bring more people to the area (and her burger business), and not worried about it.
    There's probably enough room in the burger-sphere for both places, even with them being right next to each other. Kind of like there's enough room for Wendy's, McDonald's, Burger King, Freddie's, and Five Guys (not to mention the insane amount of chicken restaurants).

Guessing a ton of folks that eat at Patty Wagon have never eaten at Charcoal Oven, and probably vice versa. And they're prepared differently at both places, so if someone has a preference for flame-grilled, they go to Charcoal Oven. Charcoal Oven has its adherents from way back that ate there years, if not decades ago, so they also kind of have a built-in customer base. We live a block from Patty Wagon and we've had every one of their specialty burgers there, some of their weekly specials (some just plain don't sound good, though), built our own burgers, and had all their sides (fries are the only ones we like). So we're definitely going to walk to Charcoal Oven for something new (a month after they open so they can get their kinks worked out), and then we'll probably switch back and forth, depending on our mood. We do the same thing with S&B and Patty Wagon currently, so for us, it's just adding another burger place to the rotation, they each offer something different from the others.

There hasn't been any progress here in quite a while and they had planned to open in October:

They are still working inside, but progress has been glacial:

Took the guy 4 years of saying he was going to put a burger place in there to actually start and do it, so I'm not surprised it's taking forever, guessing he has little to no capital to work with and is doing it as he can afford it.

i don't want to be "that guy" but i'm just not seeing it. to me, most of the love for charcoal oven is the nostalgia... and that was tied to the location and format. i just don't see this location in a strip center pushing those buttons enough for it to be a successful venture. i totally respect somebody putting their time, talent, and money into something they believe in... and to that end, i really want it to work out... but it just seems like a longshot to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i don't want to be "that guy" but i'm just not seeing it. to me, most of the love for charcoal oven is the nostalgia... and that was tied to the location and format. i just don't see this location in a strip center pushing those buttons enough for it to be a successful venture. i totally respect somebody putting their time, talent, and money into something they believe in... and to that end, i really want it to work out... but it just seems like a longshot to me.
    Kind of like the Coit's truck that's around nowadays. Hard to reproduce the character and unique identity of those food establishments, especially in a strip mall (Charcoal Oven) or food truck.

I had long ago lost my desire for Charcoal Oven food before it closed, anyway. Just wasn't as good as I remembered from when I was younger.

I bet this place will be packed the first couple of weeks. Patty Wagon is good burgers. Of course when it was in its old location. Little Mike's was right down the street. I use to live on Wilshire in some run down apts across from 7-11. I never had any trouble. I use to hit Little Mike's and Charcoal Oven. Both are delicious burgers.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeareese View Post
    I bet this place will be packed the first couple of weeks. Patty Wagon is good burgers. Of course when it was in its old location. Little Mike's was right down the street. I use to live on Wilshire in some run down apts across from 7-11. I never had any trouble. I use to hit Little Mike's and Charcoal Oven. Both are delicious burgers.
    Yeah, you've mentioned Patty Wagon and Little Mike's, I would throw Ron's in there, as well. I think all 3 are way above where Charcoal Oven was when it died out. I can't handle all the political stuff at Little Mike's, but that's ok when there are so many other options (not to mention Tucker's, which is my favorite onion burger in the area).

10. Default Re: Charcoal Oven new location

I bet it lives or dies based on the quality of the onion rings. They have to be like they were at the old location.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    I bet it lives or dies based on the quality of the onion rings. They have to be like they were at the old location.
    I enjoy onion rings as much as the next person, but I ask this not in jest.

Does anybody here ever have an urge to get onion rings?

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    I enjoy onion rings as much as the next person, but I ask this not in jest.

Does anybody here ever have an urge to get onion rings?
    Oh hell yes. Not often, but it happens.

I do not for one minute think money is a problem for the owner. I recall that he is the son in law of the founder of Charcoal Oven and made his own way via Sonic Drive-In ownership. I think he was in on ownership of several locations in NW OKC before he sold out when he got cancer several years ago. He owned the Jersey Mike's that was in this location and it just wasn't making him much money. He still had a favorable lease on the property and decided to try the Charcoal Oven the family had been talking about since they sold the real estate on NW Expressway to Discount Tire a few years ago. I'm not saying he would be happy to lose a thousand dollars a week in cash, but I think he wants a restaurant that will let him get out of the house every day and not have much bullish attached.

There were people working inside today and a Coke truck outside, so looks like they are making some progress.

Burgers are a tough market. Been like a year since Lip Smackers imploded?

Quote Originally Posted by securityinfo View Post
    Burgers are a tough market. Been like a year since Lip Smackers imploded?
    To be fair, Lip Smackers probably could have stuck around if they had a better business plan. Not that this project is inspiring much confidence on that front so far, either.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    To be fair, Lip Smackers probably could have stuck around if they had a better business plan. Not that this project is inspiring much confidence on that front so far, either.
    I believe Lip Smackers died because he underestimated how much it would cost to move to a new space and equip it and ran out of money (which I guess you could say is a failed business plan). Apparently the Charcoal Oven guy has enough money to not need to open up ASAP in order to keep the cash flow going, at least that's what I'm getting from Dob's post above.

18. Default Re: Charcoal Oven new location

If you can put it off a few months until you can have indoor dining, why would you open? There isn't a drive through is there?

Just FYI, I stopped by to check on the status. As of December 16th, still not open. The signs aren't even up yet. I'm guessing the owner is not in any hurry because of the holidays and the covid hassle.

^

I went by and the owner was in there working but I didn't stop to talk to him.

There has been little progress and I'm sure they are in no hurry.

New signs were installed today.

Owner says they will be open no later than mid-March and hopefully sooner. Waiting on some inspections.

They opened today. Hours are 11A-9P every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I do not for one minute think money is a problem for the owner. I recall that he is the son in law of the founder of Charcoal Oven and made his own way via Sonic Drive-In ownership. I think he was in on ownership of several locations in NW OKC before he sold out when he got cancer several years ago. He owned the Jersey Mike's that was in this location and it just wasn't making him much money. He still had a favorable lease on the property and decided to try the Charcoal Oven the family had been talking about since they sold the real estate on NW Expressway to Discount Tire a few years ago. I'm not saying he would be happy to lose a thousand dollars a week in cash, but I think he wants a restaurant that will let him get out of the house every day and not have much bullish attached.
    Interesting. I stopped going to that Jersey Mike's because whenever I did they were blaring FOX News on the TVs. The staff said the owner would not let them change the channel there. I do like me some Charcoal Oven, though. It says on the menu that the burgers are 1/3 lb. I don't remember them being that big at the NW Expressway location.

The owner's name is Billy Allen -- he also owned that Jersey Mike's.

Check his Facebook page at your own peril.

25. Default Re: Charcoal Oven new location

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The owner's name is Billy Allen -- he also owned that Jersey Mike's.

Check his Facebook page at your own peril.
    I'm just going to recommend checking every Billy Allen's Facebook page at your own peril..... And there are quite a few in Oklahoma City

Thread Information