Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Charcoal Oven new location

Northwest OKC Charcoal Oven new location

On the Facebook group page "Remember in Oklahoma City when..." there is a post that Charcoal Oven will be opening a new location in the former Jersey Mike's location on N. May just south of NW36th. This will be right next to the Patty Wagon burger joint on the east side of May Ave. No date mentioned at this time, nor is there a sign for it yet.

Default Re: Charcoal Oven new location

That’s awesome if it makes it all the way to reality.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6433.JPG 
Views:	215 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	16356Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6426.JPG 
Views:	209 
Size:	2.61 MB 
ID:	16357

Name:	IMG_6430.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	2.99 MB 
ID:	16358Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6429.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	4.12 MB 
ID:	16359

Nice, I miss their burgers and shakes. Although I think that's kind of a poor location, especially if your travelling southbound on May.

Northwest OKC Re: Charcoal Oven new location

Re-modeling IS in progress. The Jersey Mike's signs are still up, there is a small patio area as well. The Patty Wagon sign can be partially seen behind the Jersey Mike sign.

They better have a really good product with Patty Wagon and their pretty good burgers and fries literally 20 steps away. Haven't eaten at Charcoal Oven in decades, so can't really even remember what they were like.

Quote Originally Posted by RustytheBailiff View Post
    Nice, I miss their burgers and shakes. Although I think that's kind of a poor location, especially if your travelling southbound on May.
    Turn left on 36th, turn right behind *$ and go through the parking lot that connects to that strip mall. Getting back out southbound will suck, though. We can walk there, so we don't worry too much about that.

Name:	IMG_6428.JPG 
Views:	200 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	16360Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6431.JPG 
Views:	175 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	16361

Quote Originally Posted by RustytheBailiff View Post
    There is a center left turn lane running down the street.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    They better have a really good product with Patty Wagon and their pretty good burgers and fries literally 20 steps away. Haven't eaten at Charcoal Oven in decades, so can't really even remember what they were like.
    I agree. Patty Wagon has some great burgers!! It will be a stiff competition between the two.

Quote Originally Posted by billokc View Post
    There is a center left turn lane running down the street.
    Often blocked by the northbound backup when the light's red for May.

13. Default Re: Charcoal Oven new location

This is great to hear. I hope they have their onion rings!

I used to always order the Chili Cheeseburger, I'd park there and eat it, for each bite I'd add a bit of salt to it. It was good!

15. Default Re: Charcoal Oven new location

It it the same people, relatives or someone who bought the concept?

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    It it the same people, relatives or someone who bought the concept?
    Probably won't know that for sure until it opens.

Quote Originally Posted by billokc View Post
    Probably won't know that for sure until it opens.
    I had heard that the franchisee of that Jersey Mike's had been talking about opening a burger place there for a few years, wonder if there's any connection between him and the original owners too, guess we'll probably find that out too after it opens...

18. Default Re: Charcoal Oven new location

Wish it had been there when l lived nearby.

In the event of best case scenario, is this worth giving a shot? I recently thought local homa (collective) was the best until I went to livegrass. Even then, chef curry is opening back up and I'll take that for burgers too.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    In the event of best case scenario, is this worth giving a shot? I recently thought local homa (collective) was the best until I went to livegrass. Even then, chef curry is opening back up and I'll take that for burgers too.
    From my perspective, yes. If you like Johnnie’s, then you might be more inclined to like it. Keep in mind I am over 60, so my tastes and experience might be different than yours.

I recall that The Split-T was the launching off point for several like menu places during the 50s-70s. Charcoal Oven, Howard’s and Johnnie’s come to mind quickly. All were started by former Split-T managers who went out on their own. The menu choices and overall taste were generally pretty close. I loved the Number 1 at Charcoal Oven, which is a cheeseburger with red sauce, much like the same numbered item at Johnnie’s. I thought Charcoal Oven was better until the day it closed. My wife never did, so I would eat it every day when she was out of town.

I’m gonna try Charcoal Oven The first week it opens.

Their onion rings may be the best in town.

22. Default Re: Charcoal Oven new location

I’ll definitely try them out. But I’ve always wondered if my amazing memories of Casa Bonita, Charcoal Oven, Garfield’s, Chi Chi’s and on and on were really justified or was I just infatuated at the time.

Miss that Cock A doodle do Chicken sandwich

24. Default Re: Charcoal Oven new location

I messaged a friend of the original owners family about the new restaurant and she says it’s a daughter of the original owner and her husband that are doing this “resurrection”. So it should be true to the original.

25. Default Re: Charcoal Oven new location

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    I’ll definitely try them out. But I’ve always wondered if my amazing memories of Casa Bonita, Charcoal Oven, Garfield’s, Chi Chi’s and on and on were really justified or was I just infatuated at the time.
    Oh, geez.... Casa Bonita is still open in Denver with cliff divers. They still use the flags if you need something.

It relies on 1. Tourist business and 2. Us locals who try it once to see if the food is as bad as literally everyone says it is. It was edible being on par with frozen Tex-Mex.

They do still have the good sopapillas, though.

Thread Information